Diversions for those stuck at home

I'm watching oldish, previously watched fillums.

To date:

Ronin (1998)
Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
Convoy (1978)
Black Sunday (1977)
Badlands (1973)
Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
M.A.S.H. (1970)
Three Days of the Condor (1975)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Serpico (1973)

[I forgot "The Italian Job" (1969) and "The Assassination of Jesse James" (2007)]
I've been watching quite a bit of MASH, but the series, not the film. Whoever said that Americans don't get irony obviously never watched MASH. I seem to remember the film was somewhat darker.

I've been watching quite a bit of MASH, but the series, not the film. Whoever said that Americans don't get irony obviously never watched MASH. I seem to remember the film was somewhat darker.

"Darker" as in "Black Comedy"?

If so I think you may be correct, however, I haven't watched any of the M.A.S.H. TV series episodes for some time.

"Darker" as in "Black Comedy"?

If so I think you may be correct, however, I haven't watched any of the M.A.S.H. TV series episodes for some time.
Yes, but maybe an illusion due to the fact that the TV series makes profligate use of canned laughter.

I've been watching a lot of my favorite genre - spooky/scary B-movies. Yesterday's was "The Body Beneath," about a vampire priest who needed his comely descendant as breeding stock to restore the family line to greatness.

I have SlingTV, sort of like satellite service, with different channels available, and they're doing a lot of free previews for their premium stuff right now. I also just discovered Tubi, a completely free streaming service that has a lot of the movies I like (as well as plenty of mainstream stuff), so I'm set for a while.

I'm watching oldish, previously watched fillums.

Yesterday was "Get Shorty" (1995) with John Travolta and Gene Hackman and "Havana" (1990) with Robert Redford and Lena Olin.

Both enjoyable.

Yes, but maybe an illusion due to the fact that the TV series makes profligate use of canned laughter.
On the DVD box sets, after season 2 or 3, you get the option to remove the laughter track as they call it... I find it much better without. I have the entire 11 series, the box film set and also the book based on the series detailing every episode. At one point I did have the book that it was based on but that has been mislaid after all these years. All that said, you don't need the DVDs in Australia because the is always a channel showing at least 5 episodes every weeknight (the same 5 for 1 week but rotated so if you watch the same time slot each night you do actually see all of the episodes not the same 1 five times). I suspect the UK is now doing the same from what mutt stepfather says. He's just borrowed season 11 though because they are convinced that they haven't see it all.

I don't know if this had already been posted and I can't remember if I've posted it here but it's a similar resources to many

A list of free, online, boredom-busting resources!

It looks pretty interesting to all age groups but is aimed at the younger side.

I notice it has some live web-cams - I've always enjoyed those, right from the early days of the internet back in the 90's. I just peaked at the kitten sanctuary one. :D

On the DVD box sets, after season 2 or 3, you get the option to remove the laughter track as they call it... I find it much better without. I have the entire 11 series, the box film set and also the book based on the series detailing every episode. At one point I did have the book that it was based on but that has been mislaid after all these years. All that said, you don't need the DVDs in Australia because the is always a channel showing at least 5 episodes every weeknight (the same 5 for 1 week but rotated so if you watch the same time slot each night you do actually see all of the episodes not the same 1 five times). I suspect the UK is now doing the same from what mutt stepfather says. He's just borrowed season 11 though because they are convinced that they haven't see it all.
Yes, there are episodes on every night here too. I'm pretty sure I have the original book somewhere, and from memory it's only a fairly modest paperback.

Yesterday was "Get Shorty" (1995) with John Travolta and Gene Hackman and "Havana" (1990) with Robert Redford and Lena Olin.

Both enjoyable.

Today was "Bird on a Wire" (1990) - A bit silly but what can you expect with Goldie Hawn and Mel Gibson?

Back
Top Bottom