Do you have weird dreams?

Had lots of weird action movie like dreams from my older circle of friends. Had to leave em in RL, because I wanted to change myself. In the dreams I'm either running away from them, or we're fighting each other. The dreams are coming every few weeks or months and I don't know what's the message yet or what is causing them.
That's just your inner conflict with leaving your old set of friends behind. Part of you wants to get away, but part of you is still hanging on, wondering if you're doing the right thing. That's how I see it.

The other night I dreamt I was waiting to play rugby. I was all kitted up in a yellow and green jersey. When the game finally started, there were only 5 people on each team. One of them had the ball and it took me at least 2 minutes to start running after him... :hyper: :hyper: :eek: :eek: :happy::happy::happy:

Here’s a short-but-funny one:

My first cousin is a Hall of Fame motorcycle racer, and after he retired, he opened a motorcycle dealership (among other things).

I had a dream last night that I went to a motorcycle dealership to buy a Vespa, and while the sales guy was handling the paperwork, who walked in? That’s right, my cousin. I didn’t know it, but I’d walked into his dealership.

I expected a load of grief about buying a “girly” scooter instead of a proper motorcycle, but instead, he told me that’s all he ever rode was Vespas, and I looked around his office, and there were pictures of him in races where he was riding a Vespa, while everyone else was riding motorcycles.

I'm planning to retire in 18 months time when I reach 67.
For the last three or so years I dream I'm back clearing my work things out from my apprenticeship days. I find unfinished jobs and tools I'd forgotten about. There are still clothes in my locker I have to get rid of, but when I try them on they fit perfectly. All of the machines look old and neglected so I usually end up trying to get them going again. Quite a sad dream all told.

For the last three or so years I dream I'm back clearing my work things out from my apprenticeship days. I find unfinished jobs and tools I'd forgotten about. There are still clothes in my locker I have to get rid of, but when I try them on they fit perfectly. All of the machines look old and neglected so I usually end up trying to get them going again. Quite a sad dream all told.
As someone who almost obsessively thinks about retirement (four more years), I’d find that upsetting as well.

As someone who almost obsessively thinks about retirement (four more years), I’d find that upsetting as well.

Well, I retired some 14 years ago (yikes!) and ever since then I've had frequent dreams that somehow I'm still on the payroll as a senior academic/manager but never go in or do any work*. They are anxiety dreams as I am fearing I will be found out. In the dreams I make an appearance at work and realise I'm out of touch and can't contribute. This is often coupled with problems of how to get home, finding my car, remembering the route home.

*Ha ha - there is some truth that in some Universities there are individuals who do indeed seem get away with that!

Well, I retired some 14 years ago (yikes!) and ever since then I've had frequent dreams that somehow I'm still on the payroll as a senior academic/manager but never go in or do any work*. They are anxiety dreams as I am fearing I will be found out. In the dreams I make an appearance at work and realise I'm out of touch and can't contribute. This is often coupled with problems of how to get home, finding my car, remembering the route home.

*Ha ha - there is some truth that in some Universities there are individuals who do indeed seem get away with that!

Well, have you been at work and suddenly relized you are naked? And, nobody seems to notice? That's actually a common dream, I've read.

Many of my dreams put me back in College, living in the dorm, but yet, I have my house in Frisco (30 miles from where I went to college). I never go to classes, I just live in the dorm, and occasionally go to my house, which is similar to my real house, but different in several ways.

BTW, I also have a lot of dreams where I can't find my car.

CD

Well, have you been at work and suddenly relized you are naked? And, nobody seems to notice? That's actually a common dream, I've read.

Yep - and not only at work! This reminded me of a famous embarrassing moment I had where I walked the whole length of the staff canteen with my flared mini skirt tucked in the back of my knickers. It was probably made even more embarrassing because the male Vice-principal came up behind me and whispered 'Do you realise you are showing everybody your knickers?'. :shy:

Many of my dreams put me back in College, living in the dorm, but yet, I have my house in Frisco (30 miles from where I went to college). I never go to classes, I just live in the dorm, and occasionally go to my house, which is similar to my real house, but different in several ways.

BTW, I also have a lot of dreams where I can't find my car.

CD

I have had the naked one before..weird isn't it :unsure:

I have a form of PTSD from years of stress from the kitchen. At least once a week I will dream of being in some type of restaurant setting where the dining room is filling up and all sorts of situations ensue..I'm alone, there is no food available, people won't stop coming in, etc..one dream I took a bunch of orders, then opened the door to the kitchen and stepped into an open field....It has become so common that I wake up and just shake my head (figuratively speaking) and go back to sleep..

After talking with other cooks and wait staff over the years, it can be quite common..

After talking with other cooks and wait staff over the years, it can be quite common..
Yup, one of my best friends in Minnesota was an award-winning chef, and when people would find out, they’d ask why he was a business center director and not still cooking, and he’d say the stress levels were through the roof.

Yeah. The nature of our service is high pressure, for sure. You can never get things out fast enough. The longer you take, the greater chance of directly affecting your business. You reach a certain level where you almost freeze due to overload. It is hard to predict when it will happen. I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody, honestly.

Yeah. The nature of our service is high pressure, for sure. You can never get things out fast enough. The longer you take, the greater chance of directly affecting your business. You reach a certain level where you almost freeze due to overload. It is hard to predict when it will happen. I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody, honestly.

I've been to restaurants that actually write on the menu that their food is not fast food, or that they make every plate of food when you place your order, so it make take a little longer. Too many people expect good food to come to the table in Applebee's (crap food) time.

One other thing I've noticed, with 90-plus percent of restaurant kitchen staff being Mexican immigrants, is that they manage to cook well under pressure better than other people. I have no idea why, but that's what I've observed.

CD

I've been to restaurants that actually write on the menu that their food is not fast food, or that they make every plate of food when you place your order, so it make take a little longer. Too many people expect good food to come to the table in Applebee's (crap food) time.

One other thing I've noticed, with 90-plus percent of restaurant kitchen staff being Mexican immigrants, is that they manage to cook well under pressure better than other people. I have no idea why, but that's what I've observed.

CD
I have downsized to a sandwich counter from years of full service dining. One issue that we face is due to fast food franchises our society has come to expect their food to be ready almost immediately and they built their lifestyles around it. As you said, we sell all fresh ingredients, and I make them per order so it involves a different type of preparation. When we get line ups, people can wait up to 15 minutes. I had an open concept deli for 10 years and they were all staring at me. Lol. I just wanted to tell them all to you know what .

Here’s a sign I had made up and put outside our front door

Last edited:
The same problem everywhere, the most people want to get everything cheaper, faster and better than possible. They haven't seen people get crazy because of that or expect people to do yoga or anything else for stress management, most end up taking drugs.
Some French chefs made even a movie because they don't want to sell just sandwiches all day long.
Well, we're democrats, so communication is always wished for, but you've got to pay the bills and when the people care more about other things, I'm just selling low quality food and try not to get toxic.
And I must point out, when you're an established chef with enough integrity to not have anxiety to loose your job any day, it's the best job you can have.

Back
Top Bottom