Do you still use your bread maker?

The machine does it better than me but I'm improving having watched what they do on the bake off. I think I used to just push it around a little.
I've been making bread for decades so I think I'm reasonably good at kneading by now. But I wonder how bread-makers fare when it comes to those really wet French bread types doughs? I've made these by hand and it isn't easy. You have to have loads of confidence to slap the sticky dough repeatedly onto the surface. I don't think a bread machine could cope with that. Somewhere I've got a bookmark for a video of a master baker demonstrating this technique, in case you don't know what I mean. I'll try to hunt it out.

Before I even got a stand mixer with a dough hook, I had to make the dough entirely hand from start to finish. This was way back in the mid '70s.
What a tedious backbreaking job THAT was!!! :headshake::stop:

I've been making bread for decades so I think I'm reasonably good at kneading by now. But I wonder how bread-makers fare when it comes to those really wet French bread types doughs? I've made these by hand and it isn't easy. You have to have loads of confidence to slap the sticky dough repeatedly onto the surface. I don't think a bread machine could cope with that. Somewhere I've got a bookmark for a video of a master baker demonstrating this technique, in case you don't know what I mean. I'll try to hunt it out.
I do a ciabatta dough in the machine which has 400 ml of liquid... to about 500g of flour. It sloshes around a bit at first but eventually incorporates it. Mind you it then collapses so I haven't quite got the full technique yet.

The stand mixer can knead & manipulate the dough, The bread machine does that plus proofs & bakes the dough. :wink:
Duh. I own one.
I was pointing out why I use it.
But I don't like the way it bakes.

I do a ciabatta dough in the machine which has 400 ml of liquid... to about 500g of flour. It sloshes around a bit at first but eventually incorporates it. Mind you it then collapses so I haven't quite got the full technique yet.
That is a lot of liquid to flour! Perhaps I should test my little used bread machine out!

It's the Paul Hollywood recipe for Ciabatta, but I end up with a very flat loaf unless I do it in a tin. So I've not perfected it at all.
One of my sourdough recipes is like that. An excellent and very moist bread also very tasty and much appreciated by my oh, but very wet dough and needs a loaf tin to hold it up otherwise it is about 2cm high because it is so very wet. Byte longer you kneed it the better it becomes however even the mixer with the dough hook kneeing it takes an age. By hand would take more than I can manage....

Back
Top Bottom