Does anyone here make their own sausage from scratch ?

i always mixed the meat with my hands but this year i bought a meat mixer , mixing that cold meat has just gotten to painful, so maybe that will put some of the fun back in it, we really enjoy giving the sausage to freinds and seeing how happy it makes them , they always look forward to it and as far as i know we are the only place they can get custom made sausage tailored to the way they like it

I have the setup to make homemade sausage but haven’t done it yet. It looks like a labor of love but the end result from those of you who have done it must be amazing. I’ve been thinking about it a bunch lately and will have to give it a try.

I’ve been wanting to make a batch of these and freeze some future use. A good chicken or Pork sausage sounds really nice but I’d definitely love to try homemade Pepperoni and Chorizo sometime as well.

agileMJOLNIR said
"but I’d definitely love to try homemade Pepperoni and Chorizo sometime as well."

pepperoni is an air cured sausage and is very diffucult to make safely , thats why we have avoided even trying to make it
while breakfast and smoked sausage is easy to make as long as your making small amounts and even if you don't own a smoker you can buy smoke powder ( not to be confused with liquid smoke ) its fantastic !! but very strong so you have to be careful of the amount you use ( i tryed it once and no one could tell that i didn't use my smoker ) but i still like using my smoker , ( old habits are hard to break ) as far as stuffing the casing go , on small batched of less then 10 lbs you can even use the stuffing attachment that comes with most grinders,

DSCN5432.JPG smoke powder.jpg

agileMJOLNIR said
"but I’d definitely love to try homemade Pepperoni and Chorizo sometime as well."

pepperoni is an air cured sausage and is very diffucult to make safely , thats why we have avoided even trying to make it
while breakfast and smoked sausage is easy to make as long as your making small amounts and even if you don't own a smoker you can buy smoke powder ( not to be confused with liquid smoke ) its fantastic !! but very strong so you have to be careful of the amount you use ( i tryed it once and no one could tell that i didn't use my smoker ) but i still like using my smoker , ( old habits are hard to break ) as far as stuffing the casing go , on small batched of less then 10 lbs you can even use the stuffing attachment that comes with most grinders,

View attachment 95709 View attachment 95710
Thanks for the tips Grumpy, appreciate it.

I have a commercial Kitchenaid mixer with some good metal sausage stuffing attachments so this would be how I’d get it done. Since I’m in an apartment I don’t have smoker access so I’ve been looking into some of these stovetop smokers.

I didn’t know this smoking powder existed so now I’ve got some research to do. Usually if I want a quick smoke I have one of those Poly-science smoke guns and a small chamber I use but I’d like to give this method a try.

i'm an old BBQer and have been smoking meat since my mid 20s and when i tried the powdered smoke i was blown away at how good this stuff really is !!! once you understand just how strong this stuff is , its easy to fool people with it
now i keep it on hand in case i'm feeling lazy and don't feel like firing up the smoker
by the way you can find it on Amazon thats where i get it , plus its pretty cheap and goes a long way
if you don't own a meat grinder ask the meat dept where you shop to grind up a boston butt for you , tell them you want a fine grind

i always mixed the meat with my hands but this year i bought a meat mixer , mixing that cold meat has just gotten to painful, so maybe that will put some of the fun back in it, we really enjoy giving the sausage to freinds and seeing how happy it makes them , they always look forward to it and as far as i know we are the only place they can get custom made sausage tailored to the way they like it

We have used our Kitchen Aid stand mixer to mix the sausage and it does fine for up to 5 pounds or so. You do need to put the bowl and paddle in the freezer so that they are nice and cold before mixing.

if you don't own a meat grinder ask the meat dept where you shop to grind up a boston butt for you , tell them you want a fine grind

The grind depends on what sausage you are making, some require a coarse grind.

I'd also ask at the meat counter if they have a set schedule of when they grind meat because if they are grinding beef, they are not going to grind a pork butt for you. BTDT and had to place an order unless I wanted to wait for hours as they clean in between.

you might be right about when they would be able to grind it for you , i had never thought about that and there might be a sausage that uses a course grind , but we have never made any using anything other than a fine grind

DSCN5546.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, I make my own sausages occasionally. I have a Kenwood Chef with a sausage making attachment so have made my own.

Each year I go with my guy friends to a little island called Herm where we go fishing and drinking for a week. I made a batch of sausages, different flavours for each day and the guys had to work out (from a list) which sausage they were eating that day for breakfast. The winner won as bottle of Kraken.

if its ok i would like to comment on meat grinders , when we 1st got into sausage making i bought an electric meat grinder from of all places harbor freight and i think i remember paying $69.00 for it ,much later i bought a much bigger one with twice the HP and over 4 times the price of the 1st one, anyone want to guess which one grinds faster and easier ?

if its ok i would like to comment on meat grinders , when we 1st got into sausage making i bought an electric meat grinder from of all places harbor freight and i think i remember paying $69.00 for it ,much later i bought a much bigger one with twice the HP and over 4 times the price of the 1st one, anyone want to guess which one grinds faster and easier ?
Guessing the $69 one.

Back
Top Bottom