Does anyone here make their own sausage from scratch ?

I don't need it. It would just collect dust. But thank you anyway.

I mostly puree in my food processor, such as tomato sauces, hummus, pesto, etc. I grind meat about once every couple of years in it when I get a craving for a filet mignon burger. Otherwise the meat grinding is done by my husband and his cousins, which I do not participate in. I have never even been to Paulie's garage where they make it, nor do I go watch the winemaking.

Like I said in my original post, it's a good idea to partially freeze the cubed meat before grinding or it will turn to mush. It does not matter whether you have pulse or not (I have never seen a food processor that didn't have a pulse function, all of my food processors do and I have 3). I didn't just make this up, Google it. Ask medtran49, she and Craig have ground meat in the food processor before.

Agree, FP turns meat into mush easily, even with the pulse, and the ground meat that comes out of the FP is not really suitable for sausage IMO even when you are super careful.

I do grind meat into a mush in the FP when I make a gyro loaf.

I do grind meat into a mush in the FP when I make a gyro loaf.
Yes, me too! The overworked meat is perfect for that. I made it for the first time last year and it was pretty phenomenal, thanks for the reminder to do it again!

The food processor cookbook came!! Just looked through it. It's your food processor's best friend!! :whistling:

yesterday we decided to make 20 lbs of breakfast sausage and since it was a cold day i decided since it was just a small amount , instead of hooking up my water stuffer to fill the meat bags , i would use the stuffing attachment on the grinder ....HUGE MISTAKE !!!! it has been years since we used the grinder to stuff anything , it took us over 2 hours to do what would have taken about 5 minutes with the water stuffer , i'm going to throw away those grinder attachments so that i will never even be temped to use them ever again !!!!

breakfast sausage.jpg

yesterday we decided to make 20 lbs of breakfast sausage and since it was a cold day i decided since it was just a small amount , instead of hooking up my water stuffer to fill the meat bags , i would use the stuffing attachment on the grinder ....HUGE MISTAKE !!!! it has been years since we used the grinder to stuff anything , it took us over 2 hours to do what would have taken about 5 minutes with the water stuffer , i'm going to throw away those grinder attachments so that i will never even be temped to use them ever again !!!!
Or sell them on eBay. Then you will have some pocket change to buy more meat.

good idea !! please people don't waste your time trying to make stuffed sausage using a grinder attachment , buy a sausage stuffer and save yourself a LOT of hard frustrating work
these things are worth their weight in gold

20210417_094512_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom