Does anyone here make their own sausage from scratch ?

give that lady a cigar !!!! yep the little cheap one will grind circles around the bigger more expensive one !!!
i'm still using the little $ 69.00 one while the other one collects dust

give that lady a cigar !!!! yep the little cheap one will grind circles around the bigger more expensive one !!!
i'm still using the little $ 69.00 one while the other one collects dust
Maybe you should list the dust collector on ebay?

My hubby's cousins have all the equipment. My husband just has to provide money for his share of the meat and lend his strength to the task, as he ends up doing the majority of the grunt work. Which is fair given that he is about 15 years younger than the other guys.

we wait and buy boston butts on sale debone and freeze them till we have enough to do the years run , often we can catch them on sale for about $1.48 per pound , so if your only doing small batches the meat is really not that expensive
depending on what kind od sausage your making , the only other expense would be the spices and or the casings ( we use hog casings that are pretubed ) the pretubed one are more expensive but easier for us to work with and it adds about 50 cents per pound to the overall cost , but there are much cheaper casing as well as one's from sheep and even ones made from colagen it just all depends on what you like and want to use , if you only want to make breakfast sausage you don't need casings at all

A sausage grinder?
Cuisinart Food Processor..jpg

I have one. Next?!! Hah!!

we wait and buy boston butts on sale debone and freeze them till we have enough to do the years run , often we can catch them on sale for about $1.48 per pound , so if your only doing small batches the meat is really not that expensive
depending on what kind od sausage your making , the only other expense would be the spices and or the casings ( we use hog casings that are pretubed ) the pretubed one are more expensive but easier for us to work with and it adds about 50 cents per pound to the overall cost , but there are much cheaper casing as well as one's from sheep and even ones made from colagen it just all depends on what you like and want to use , if you only want to make breakfast sausage you don't need casings at all
They are buying around 300 pounds of meat at a time and I am sure they are getting a good deal on it. They use a blend of different cuts (shoulder or butt, loin, tenderloin, etc.) to keep the fat ratio under control. The sausage making has been going on for a very long time, their fathers all made it together before the youngsters (ahem, age 55-75 years old, LOL) took over. No idea about the casings, I don't like casing so I always ask for bulk. I know that they are happy about that. I use sausage for stuffed peppers, meatballs, sausage gravy for biscuits, etc. I wish they would start making chorizo and andouille to change it up a bit.

I have ground meat in my food processor before, but the trick is to cube the meat and partially freeze it or it processses into total mush. I prefer a little bit of texture with my sausage.

Don't you have a pulse button on your machine? It helps to keep you from overprocessing things that you don't want to be chopped up too much, so that you don't end up with mush. Hah!! :whistling:

They are buying around 300 pounds of meat at a time and I am sure they are getting a good deal on it. They use a blend of different cuts (shoulder or butt, loin, tenderloin, etc.) to keep the fat ratio under control. The sausage making has been going on for a very long time, their fathers all made it together before the youngsters (ahem, age 55-75 years old, LOL) took over. No idea about the casings, I don't like casing so I always ask for bulk. I know that they are happy about that. I use sausage for stuffed peppers, meatballs, sausage gravy for biscuits, etc. I wish they would start making chorizo and andouille to change it up a bit.

Oh my God! I won't need THAT much meat!! Only like a couple of pounds or less. :whistling:

Don't you have a pulse button on your machine? It helps to keep you from overprocessing things that you don't want to be chopped up too much, so that you don't end up with mush. Hah!! :whistling:
I do. But the problem is that the food processor just isn't a good meat grinder, and if you underprocess the grind is uneven and you'll have some pieces that are bigger than others, whereas with a regular meat grinder it's more consistent. It's a fine line between under and over processing. When I am grinding meat in my food processor it's usually only filet mignon for filet burgers. If I need ground burger meat for pasta sauce or something else, I usually have plenty on hand in my garage freezer--the last time I bought hamburger there was a sale $1.99 lb for family packs so I bought about 15 pounds of it and separated it into smaller amounts and froze it.
Oh my God! I won't need THAT much meat!! Only like a couple of pounds or less. :whistling:
We only keep about 10 pounds of it. Hubby's cousins keep about 20 pounds each, and the rest of it is for friends and family (mostly family). When we have holiday parties, we have to rent out the entire Italian-American Club to hold them all. The headcount can be up to 100+, so yeah, lots of family who want sausage made.

Food Processor Cookbook..jpg

I just ordered this cookery book on use of the food processor to help prepare foods for cooking & entertaining. It could help you in the kitchen on getting the right textures of things. :whistling:

View attachment 95814
I just ordered this cookery book on use of the food processor to help prepare foods for cooking & entertaining. It could help you in the kitchen on getting the right textures of things. :whistling:
I don't need it. It would just collect dust. But thank you anyway.

I mostly puree in my food processor, such as tomato sauces, hummus, pesto, etc. I grind meat about once every couple of years in it when I get a craving for a filet mignon burger. Otherwise the meat grinding is done by my husband and his cousins, which I do not participate in. I have never even been to Paulie's garage where they make it, nor do I go watch the winemaking.
I have ground meat in my food processor before, but the trick is to cube the meat and partially freeze it or it processses into total mush.
Like I said in my original post, it's a good idea to partially freeze the cubed meat before grinding or it will turn to mush. It does not matter whether you have pulse or not (I have never seen a food processor that didn't have a pulse function, all of my food processors do and I have 3). I didn't just make this up, Google it. Ask medtran49, she and Craig have ground meat in the food processor before.

I don't need it. It would just collect dust. But thank you anyway.

I mostly puree in my food processor, such as tomato sauces, hummus, pesto, etc. I grind meat about once every couple of years in it when I get a craving for a filet mignon burger. Otherwise the meat grinding is done by my husband and his cousins, which I do not participate in. I have never even been to Paulie's garage where they make it, nor do I go watch the winemaking.

Like I said in my original post, it's a good idea to partially freeze the cubed meat before grinding or it will turn to mush. It does not matter whether you have pulse or not (I have never seen a food processor that didn't have a pulse function, all of my food processors do and I have 3). I didn't just make this up, Google it. Ask medtran49, she and Craig have ground meat in the food processor before.

When Cuisinart first introduced the food processor many years ago in the early '70's in didn't feature the pulse switch or button. You had to turn the cover which activated the machine on & off. But my first processor was the Cuisinart DLC-7 Pro. It was rated for commercial use as well as for the home. It pretty much looks almost like the one I have now. It lasted me for almost 30 years!! :whistling:

When Cuisinart first introduced the food processor many years ago in the early '70's in didn't feature the pulse switch or button. You had to turn the cover which activated the machine on & off. But my first processor was the Cuisinart DLC-7 Pro. It was rated for commercial use as well as for the home. It pretty much looks almost like the one I have now. It lasted me for almost 30 years!! :whistling:
In 1970 I was 8 years old, LOL. I didn't even own a food processor until I was in my 30s.

Back
Top Bottom