Easter food & drink traditions

Hey All, I know I have been a little AWOL. That does not mean that you have not been in my thoughts and conversations. I have not seen stepson, DIL or Grands in over a year. We spent the weekend at our camp on Toledo Bend. Toledo Bend is a man made reservoir on the Sabine River. The Sabine is the border between Louisiana and Texas. The dam at the south end of the reservoir provides hydroelectric power.
Long story short, we spent a long weekend with G's son and family.
Everyone is good for something. I am not good for much but I can cook and feed my loved ones. We all arrived late Thursday evening so we ate sandwiches. Friday evening I roasted a boneless chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke, mushroom Risotto. salad and garlic, parm R French bread. The guys went fishing Saturday morning. Dinner was Grilled burgers. Sunday I made an old fashioned pineapple glazed ham with garlic smashed potatoes, glazed carrots, salad and parm R garlic French bread. I also brought a pan of lemon squares and two loaves of fresh baked white bread. It was a beautiful weekend. A little chilly Friday, perfect weather Saturday and Sunday. The guys caught a nice mess of Sac a Lait (white perch). We drove home today (Monday). G had to visit the clinic for his monthly INR test (Coumadin level). He also had an appointment with his Urologist this afternoon and a meeting of his Bass Club this evening.
We will have a late dinner. I cut potatoes into waffle fries. I have Sac a Lait fillets seasoned ready to fry. a late dinner tonight will be fried fish, waffle fries and salad.
Stepson, Daughter-in-law and Grand Daughter were very appreciative of my meals.
I did have a set back. We had sandwiches for lunch Friday and Saturday. I brought block cheese - sharp and mild cheddar and Jarlsberg. SS, DIL and GD opted for plastic cheese slices rather then real cheese. :hyper: Makes my teeth clench. I said nothing. G and I had real cheese on our sandwiches.
I will check in tomorrow. I have to finish washing clothes from the weekend and prepare dinner.

I learned to water ski on Toledo Bend reservoir.

CD

Hey All, I know I have been a little AWOL. That does not mean that you have not been in my thoughts and conversations. I have not seen stepson, DIL or Grands in over a year. We spent the weekend at our camp on Toledo Bend. Toledo Bend is a man made reservoir on the Sabine River. The Sabine is the border between Louisiana and Texas. The dam at the south end of the reservoir provides hydroelectric power.
Long story short, we spent a long weekend with G's son and family.
Everyone is good for something. I am not good for much but I can cook and feed my loved ones. We all arrived late Thursday evening so we ate sandwiches. Friday evening I roasted a boneless chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke, mushroom Risotto. salad and garlic, parm R French bread. The guys went fishing Saturday morning. Dinner was Grilled burgers. Sunday I made an old fashioned pineapple glazed ham with garlic smashed potatoes, glazed carrots, salad and parm R garlic French bread. I also brought a pan of lemon squares and two loaves of fresh baked white bread. It was a beautiful weekend. A little chilly Friday, perfect weather Saturday and Sunday. The guys caught a nice mess of Sac a Lait (white perch). We drove home today (Monday). G had to visit the clinic for his monthly INR test (Coumadin level). He also had an appointment with his Urologist this afternoon and a meeting of his Bass Club this evening.
We will have a late dinner. I cut potatoes into waffle fries. I have Sac a Lait fillets seasoned ready to fry. a late dinner tonight will be fried fish, waffle fries and salad.
Stepson, Daughter-in-law and Grand Daughter were very appreciative of my meals.
I did have a set back. We had sandwiches for lunch Friday and Saturday. I brought block cheese - sharp and mild cheddar and Jarlsberg. SS, DIL and GD opted for plastic cheese slices rather then real cheese. :hyper: Makes my teeth clench. I said nothing. G and I had real cheese on our sandwiches.
I will check in tomorrow. I have to finish washing clothes from the weekend and prepare dinner.

Sounds like a splendid weekend. Its strange it all seems so alien to me! In the UK we can't do anything like this due to Covid (although things are gradually opening up, as of next week). I haven't been anywhere at all since March 2020 (not even to a shop). I've not seen anyone socially except one friend who is in a Covid bubble with me and my partner and has been staying here periodically. My kids I've seen on the doorstep from a 2 metre distance.

I've got used to it...

Sounds like a splendid weekend. Its strange it all seems so alien to me! In the UK we can't do anything like this due to Covid (although things are gradually opening up, as of next week). I haven't been anywhere at all since March 2020 (not even to a shop). I've not seen anyone socially except one friend who is in a Covid bubble with me and my partner and has been staying here periodically. My kids I've seen on the doorstep from a 2 metre distance.

I've got used to it...
I have also been very isolated. Two things - family only (GD could not bring any of her friends) G and I have both had our vaccines.

I learned to water ski on Toledo Bend reservoir.

CD
CD since you know the lake you know how peaceful and restful it can be.
I have not been to the lake in over a year. On our drive home I told G that I want to use our camp two or three weekends a month. We could not go this weekend because G has to leave for Tulsa, OK early Sunday. Next weekend rain or shine. If it is raining I want to organize the walk in pantry. Disaster area. There is no way of knowing what is in there or if it is still good. I am by no means a good housekeeper but I do want my pantry and spice cabinet organized.

I deliberately cooked a large bone in ham. Tuesday I made split pea and ham soup. Wednesday I made a ham meat loaf. Today I will take the last of the ham and make ham salad/ham spread.

CD since you know the lake you know how peaceful and restful it can be.
I have not been to the lake in over a year. On our drive home I told G that I want to use our camp two or three weekends a month. We could not go this weekend because G has to leave for Tulsa, OK early Sunday. Next weekend rain or shine. If it is raining I want to organize the walk in pantry. Disaster area. There is no way of knowing what is in there or if it is still good. I am by no means a good housekeeper but I do want my pantry and spice cabinet organized.

A lot of people in Port Arthur had "camps" at Toledo Bend when I lived in Port Arthur. A "camp" can be anything from a luxury home to a home-built shack in East Texas. But, it somehow works.

CD

A nice 16' x 80' three bdrm. 2 bath mobile home. A large front deck under cover, huge building for boats, a small utility building for lawn mower and cooking equipment and a large aluminum canopy for stepson's pontoon boat. Very comfortable. No roughing it for me.

A nice 16' x 80' three bdrm. 2 bath mobile home. A large front deck under cover, huge building for boats, a small utility building for lawn mower and cooking equipment and a large aluminum canopy for stepson's pontoon boat. Very comfortable. No roughing it for me.

Ah, the stepson has him a Party Barge, eh? :wink:

CD

Back
Top Bottom