Easter food & drink traditions

This is a mini cake, the beige cream is a cream patisserie with ground hazelnut and almonds, the brown thing is mousse au chocolat that was supposed to look like an egg. Yeah, well it did taste good.
img_20210401_1120381132126659575458372.jpg

Stay healthy

This is a mini cake, the beige cream is a cream patisserie with ground hazelnut and almonds, the brown thing is mousse au chocolat that was supposed to look like an egg. Yeah, well it did taste good. View attachment 60291
Stay healthy
It looks delicious! Wunderbar! Surely it does not have to be exactly like an egg. I see an egg shape...did you use a spoon?

This year we're having a babka with cinnamon marzipan filling, so somewhat remniscent of our usual stollen bread but not quite. Seems delicious, and I will lay it on the table tomorrow morning with some eggs, toast and orange juice for everyone.

For dinner tomorrow we will have a deluxe table grill package, as we often have on holidays because it's the only thing my autistic step son also enjoys because he likes anything that involves meat.

If my mother in law comes to visit on sunday (not sure yet, she's in much pain due to her illness) we'll just have stollen and tea because she's fragile and doesn't eat much.

And we're having easter themed high tea at home next week with a friend.

Not a food tradition, but something that certainly involved drink...

When I worked for the booksellers BH Blackwell in Oxford, we used to get a half-day on Maundy Thursday (which today is). I've never come across any other organisation where that happened and nobody really seemed to know why Blackwell's did it, other than it was something they'd always done. Usually what happened - er, no, what always happened - was that a goodly number of us would pile into a nearby pub as soon as we'd finished at about half past twelve.

Was Blackwells at Broad Street already by that time, in front of the Sheldonian Theatre? Because I could imagine which pub you used to go to :happy:

Was Blackwells at Broad Street already by that time, in front of the Sheldonian Theatre? Because I could imagine which pub you used to go to :happy:
Ah, now I said I worked for Blackwell's, but I didn't say I worked in one of the bookshops...

In fact, I worked in Hythe Bridge Street, firstly in Beaver House (the big green building) and then in Bunting House on the other side of the street. Blackwell's has slimmed down considerably since my day and I believe they only have part of Beaver House now. Bunting House got turned into some kind of backpackers' hostel many years ago.

So if anyone fancies guessing the pub, I've taken us closer to the action. And no, it wasn't the Nag's Head, later the Antiquity Hall and these days the Oxford Retreat (I'm sure I've missed at least one more reincarnation).

Hey All, I know I have been a little AWOL. That does not mean that you have not been in my thoughts and conversations. I have not seen stepson, DIL or Grands in over a year. We spent the weekend at our camp on Toledo Bend. Toledo Bend is a man made reservoir on the Sabine River. The Sabine is the border between Louisiana and Texas. The dam at the south end of the reservoir provides hydroelectric power.
Long story short, we spent a long weekend with G's son and family.
Everyone is good for something. I am not good for much but I can cook and feed my loved ones. We all arrived late Thursday evening so we ate sandwiches. Friday evening I roasted a boneless chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke, mushroom Risotto. salad and garlic, parm R French bread. The guys went fishing Saturday morning. Dinner was Grilled burgers. Sunday I made an old fashioned pineapple glazed ham with garlic smashed potatoes, glazed carrots, salad and parm R garlic French bread. I also brought a pan of lemon squares and two loaves of fresh baked white bread. It was a beautiful weekend. A little chilly Friday, perfect weather Saturday and Sunday. The guys caught a nice mess of Sac a Lait (white perch). We drove home today (Monday). G had to visit the clinic for his monthly INR test (Coumadin level). He also had an appointment with his Urologist this afternoon and a meeting of his Bass Club this evening.
We will have a late dinner. I cut potatoes into waffle fries. I have Sac a Lait fillets seasoned ready to fry. a late dinner tonight will be fried fish, waffle fries and salad.
Stepson, Daughter-in-law and Grand Daughter were very appreciative of my meals.
I did have a set back. We had sandwiches for lunch Friday and Saturday. I brought block cheese - sharp and mild cheddar and Jarlsberg. SS, DIL and GD opted for plastic cheese slices rather then real cheese. :hyper: Makes my teeth clench. I said nothing. G and I had real cheese on our sandwiches.
I will check in tomorrow. I have to finish washing clothes from the weekend and prepare dinner.

Back
Top Bottom