Easter food & drink traditions

Brother delivered ready to bake crawfish pies to his sisters.

Ready to reveal

Dough sculpted crawfish

Egg wash

Bake 350 F for 40 minutes

:cry::cry::cry:

Walked out of the kitchen and did not hear the timer

Did not hurt the taste.:hungry:
My other Brothers, one in Colorado and the other in Florida are very jealous.
I love my family.

ElizabethB, that crawfish pie is beautiful to look at. I love the lattice and the sculpted crawfish. It looks delicious.. what goes in the filling besides crawfish? Thank you for posting, I was waiting all day to see it!! 😃🙃

I agree - its stunning! How clever to make the pastry crawfish. Congratulations to the chef please. Did your brother make it?

Last edited:
ElizabethB, that crawfish pie is beautiful to look at. I love the lattice and the sculpted crawfish. It looks delicious.. what goes in the filling besides crawfish? Thank you for posting, I was waiting all day to see it!! 😃🙃
The holy trinity for sure. I will ask him about the other ingredients.

Allow me to push this thread up again. I do not see the point of creating a new one.

Easter is just days away and I did on Saturday the most renowned Spanish recipe of these dates: Torrijas.

IMG_20210327_204756.jpg

Stale bread is needed to perform this recipe and I baked my own one. Red plate's flavour is cinnamon and sugar whilst white plate's is honey. The cooking alternatives, however, are countless. It is a dish with a strong rural and southern connections and I know it thanks to my family. You would never find them in places like my natal Barcelona.

Most people would say they are similar to French Toasts, but despite the resemblance Torrijas are better. So much better :happy:

Not a food tradition, but something that certainly involved drink...

When I worked for the booksellers BH Blackwell in Oxford, we used to get a half-day on Maundy Thursday (which today is). I've never come across any other organisation where that happened and nobody really seemed to know why Blackwell's did it, other than it was something they'd always done. Usually what happened - er, no, what always happened - was that a goodly number of us would pile into a nearby pub as soon as we'd finished at about half past twelve.

I've left the Catholic faith of my parents (well, my mother, dad was always agnostic), and we really didn't have any specific food traditions growing up. So I don't do anything special myself, now. We did try to have a large and special meal that day, and as kids we went hunting for (REAL) Easter eggs, not those plastic things with garbage inside. For all of one year while we were children, they were hidden around the house. That one year they went out late at night after we went to bed, and hid 2 or 3 dozen real hard boiled eggs. It SNOWED 6-7 inches that night! I think we found about ten eggs, and my parents forgot where they'd hid the rest... It took a long time for the snow to melt, and those were not any good when found two weeks or so later.

At any rate, the special meal was usually leg of lamb. Mother would make it with lots of slivers of garlic inserted into the meat, and would roast it to medium rare. I know there was never any mint sauce as no one really cared for that, but I don't recall other seasonings, but I am sure there were. On occasional years it would be a ham, but I personally was happier with lamb.

One year, finally, Dad talked Mom into serving rabbit. Mother resisted for several years - she liked rabbit, but she felt it was not a good idea to eat the Easter Rabbit on Easter.

Potatoes of some sort were a part of the usual sides.

Sorry for the many likes of the old 2020 thread...I just realized they were old...

Our Easter tradition is more of a family gathering around food and good wishes...My Mom and late Grandma belonged to the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, but not feverishly, really moderately and more inner prayers within themselves in hard times...my Dad is atheist...

I do believe in a higher power, or it is comforting to believe, and pray in hard times, but do not belong to any Church so far really.

Do not know the exact religious scenarios during Masses etc. And I like exploring the Buddhist way of understanding the world, just out of curiosity. But not from very upclose either. I do respect every religion, as long is does not propagate negativity.

Grandma used to make a delicious Easter cake called Kozunak, it is similar to the Croatian Pinca...and we would colour boiled eggs in their shells, and have Easter breakfast with ham, green onions and radish. We would 'fight' with the eggs, each person holding an egg and crashing it into another's. The winner was to be happy throughout the year, but like light fun, nothing heavy.

Back
Top Bottom