Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
10:55 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
!

english-artichoke-served-.jpg

My basic changes from the source recipe were to use English muffins for the bread, and to switch out the cheese for one that was available here this week.

Being as the specified cheese as per my source recipe is Manchego, I suspect this recipe draws largely from the Spanish influences of the Mediterranean region. Looking online for substitutions, I found Zamorano (even more obscure here) and English Cheddar. I decided to combine the best of a Vermont cheddar with Asiago.

Artichoke Bread Pudding Recipe - Grace Parisi | Food & Wine (foodandwine.com)

english-artichoke-cooked-.jpg

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 45 minutes.
Rest Time: 15 minutes.
Serves: 3-6
Leftovers: Yes. You can refrigerate and let come towards room temperature for a half hour prior to serving.

English Muffin Bread Pudding with Marinated Artichoke Hearts

INGREDIENTS
  • About 1/3 pound of English muffins. Depending on the brand, this may be one and a half to 2 and a half muffins. Slice or pull open. Slices or sections should not be thicker than half an inch (1.25 cm).
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 6.72 ounces jar marinated artichokes, drained and thinly sliced, some oil reserved
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 ounces Manchego cheese, rind removed, cheese thinly sliced I didn't have Manchego, or the chance to find where to get some in a timely manner, so I settled for a 1:1 ratio of Vermont cheddar to Asiago.
  • 1/3rd quart / 1.33 cups / whole milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten.

METHOD

Preheat oven to 425°. F / 220°.C,

Toast the bread in the oven on a rack until dry and a little golden. Allow to cool enough to handle. With the underside of a spoon, rub one side of each piece of bread with the garlic.

Lower the temperature to 375° F/ 190°.C.

Oil the bottom of a 4 x 9 inch baking pan with a half tablespoon of that reserved oil from the artichoke heart jar.

Arrange one thickness of the muffins on the bottom of the pan, breaking it apart should you need for coverage. Top this with half of the artichokes. Add a little salt and pepper, then top with a third of the cheese.

Repeat with a second layer of muffin as earlier. Add the rest of the artichokes and another third of the cheese. Again a little salt and pepper.

On top of this, add the last of the muffin material, and top with the rest of the cheese.

Mix the eggs and the milk together in a bowl. Add a bit more salt and pepper. Then pour this mixture over the muffin/artichoke/cheese in your pan. Cover this with plastic wrap, and lay something solid and heavy enough down atop this to keep the muffins submerged.

Allow to sit for about 15 minutes so that this liquids can be absorbed by the bread. Remove the weights and the plastic wrap.

Lightly oil some parchment paper and place it over the bread pudding (oil side down), covering the entire top with foil, folding the foil in, so that it stays in place.

Bake 30 minutes, then remove the foil and parchment paper. Bake a further 15 minutes, or until the top is golden. (My top wasn't quite golden, so I put the dish on broil for two minutes.)

Let the bread pudding cool for 15 minutes before serving if you desire this warm. (The dish can also be served at room temperature.)

A savory bread pudding recipe: something I'd actually make! I love the use of marinated artichoke hearts here. My only question is about the English muffins: they aren't known as something to soak up liquids (which is why they are used in breakfast sandwiches). How was the consistency?

!

View attachment 61386

My basic changes from the source recipe were to use English muffins for the bread, and to switch out the cheese for one that was available here this week.

Being as the specified cheese as per my source recipe is Manchego, I suspect this recipe draws largely from the Spanish influences of the Mediterranean region. Looking online for substitutions, I found Zamorano (even more obscure here) and English Cheddar. I decided to combine the best of a Vermont cheddar with Asiago.

Artichoke Bread Pudding Recipe - Grace Parisi | Food & Wine (foodandwine.com)

View attachment 61387

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 45 minutes.
Rest Time: 15 minutes.
Serves: 3-6
Leftovers: Yes. You can refrigerate and let come towards room temperature for a half hour prior to serving.

English Muffin Bread Pudding with Marinated Artichoke Hearts

INGREDIENTS
  • About 1/3 pound of English muffins. Depending on the brand, this may be one and a half to 2 and a half muffins. Slice or pull open. Slices or sections should not be thicker than half an inch (1.25 cm).
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 6.72 ounces jar marinated artichokes, drained and thinly sliced, some oil reserved
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 ounces Manchego cheese, rind removed, cheese thinly sliced I didn't have Manchego, or the chance to find where to get some in a timely manner, so I settled for a 1:1 ratio of Vermont cheddar to Asiago.
  • 1/3rd quart / 1.33 cups / whole milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten.

METHOD

Preheat oven to 425°. F / 220°.C,

Toast the bread in the oven on a rack until dry and a little golden. Allow to cool enough to handle. With the underside of a spoon, rub one side of each piece of bread with the garlic.

Lower the temperature to 375° F/ 190°.C.

Oil the bottom of a 4 x 9 inch baking pan with a half tablespoon of that reserved oil from the artichoke heart jar.

Arrange one thickness of the muffins on the bottom of the pan, breaking it apart should you need for coverage. Top this with half of the artichokes. Add a little salt and pepper, then top with a third of the cheese.

Repeat with a second layer of muffin as earlier. Add the rest of the artichokes and another third of the cheese. Again a little salt and pepper.

On top of this, add the last of the muffin material, and top with the rest of the cheese.

Mix the eggs and the milk together in a bowl. Add a bit more salt and pepper. Then pour this mixture over the muffin/artichoke/cheese in your pan. Cover this with plastic wrap, and lay something solid and heavy enough down atop this to keep the muffins submerged.

Allow to sit for about 15 minutes so that this liquids can be absorbed by the bread. Remove the weights and the plastic wrap.

Lightly oil some parchment paper and place it over the bread pudding (oil side down), covering the entire top with foil, folding the foil in, so that it stays in place.

Bake 30 minutes, then remove the foil and parchment paper. Bake a further 15 minutes, or until the top is golden. (My top wasn't quite golden, so I put the dish on broil for two minutes.)

Let the bread pudding cool for 15 minutes before serving if you desire this warm. (The dish can also be served at room temperature.)
I'd like a large, round spoonful of that, warm, with a fried over easy egg on top!

A savory bread pudding recipe: something I'd actually make! I love the use of marinated artichoke hearts here. My only question is about the English muffins: they aren't known as something to soak up liquids (which is why they are used in breakfast sandwiches). How was the consistency?
Yes, they won't soak up the liquid as easily - but they will soak in the liquid enough to have that bread pudding consistency/taste.

I'd like a large, round spoonful of that, warm, with a fried over easy egg on top!
Now, that sounds mighty fine!

I also have never heard of a savory bread pudding. When I read the title of the recipe, I thought, "Artichokes... bread pudding?" :scratchhead:

CD

Back
Top Bottom