Ever boiled your rice like pasta?

MaximumSam

Local time
3:12 PM
I don't eat much rice, and so I don't make much rice. It seemed tough to master, so I usually use the Instant Pot. But I was going to make some Chipotle like bowls this evening and figured I'd make rice. A lot of the recipes suggested boiling the rice like pasta, which seems much easier than the usual instructions. Anyone done this?

That's how I was brought up to cook rice. Rinse under boiling water to remove excess starch if you want separate grains, but I usually use something inbetween boiling and absorption methods. I've not noticed a difference in flavour and I eat a lot of rice, much more rice than pasta.

Some of my recipes (mostly Indian ones) actually have you soak and wash the rice prior to cooking it even with quicker cooking rice.

I do as my daughter does it.
Jasmine soaked in water for 30 mins then washed at least 6 times and drained. Twice the amount of water per rice. 6 mins full in microwave then stir. Let rest for few minutes then another 6 to 7 minutes on full. Stir then adjust as needed with water.
Jasmine I consider the best rice.

Russ

That's how I was brought up to cook rice. Rinse under boiling water to remove excess starch if you want separate grains, but I usually use something inbetween boiling and absorption methods. I've not noticed a difference in flavour and I eat a lot of rice, much more rice than pasta.

Some of my recipes (mostly Indian ones) actually have you soak and wash the rice prior to cooking it even with quicker cooking rice.
I always rinse my rice a few times before cooking but never have soaked it, and I have never boiled it like pasta. I have a rice cooker but these days I make so very little of it I just do it in a small pot on the stove in the regular manner and it works just fine.

I used to get basmati but I read an article about rice. Now I use jasmine and I think its fluffier. White rice.

Russ
I like both.
I'm not a big fan of white rice or white pasta for that matter, or white bread...
I like it all, but I like brown rice and wild rice, plus multigrain breads, but I don't care for any other pastas but the white.

I do as my daughter does it.
Jasmine soaked in water for 30 mins then washed at least 6 times and drained. Twice the amount of water per rice. 6 mins full in microwave then stir. Let rest for few minutes then another 6 to 7 minutes on full. Stir then adjust as needed with water.
Jasmine I consider the best rice.

Russ
I've never done it in the microwave, stovetop works fine for me.

I have a rice cooker
I've never had a rice cooker, or known anyone with one. Rice was always boiled in plenty of water, drained and served, just like pasta. I didn't even know about the absorption method until I left home.

Guess different cultures did things differently.

Here in Thailand "boiled rice" is like rice soup, usually with tiny pieces of pork in it. "Steamed rice" is cooked in a rice cooker and since electricity was installed in the village houses, everyone has at least one electric rice cooker.

Guess different cultures did things differently.
We ate very little rice growing up. About the only thing I can remember is rice pudding, which is one of my dad’s (and my) favorites.

I never saw a rice cooker, never knew one existed, until my brother brought his wife back from Korea, and she made rice continually in a rice cooker, starting it first thing in the morning, and leaving it on low all day, so she had rice available throughout the day.

We ate very little rice growing up. About the only thing I can remember is rice pudding, which is one of my dad’s (and my) favorites.

I never saw a rice cooker, never knew one existed, until my brother brought his wife back from Korea, and she made rice continually in a rice cooker, starting it first thing in the morning, and leaving it on low all day, so she had rice available throughout the day.
My wifes faves is rice pudding.
Mines macaroni pudding :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom