Ever boiled your rice like pasta?

I really don´t know, but I could ask the same question about boiling (a) pasta (b) potatoes (c) carrots. Unless you cook the stuff like my mum, ie. leave what ever your cooking to boil for about 45 minutes, then drain (if there´s any water left)
I hate cooked carrots and rarely boil potatoes except for the occasional mash about 3x a year. I eat much more rice than I do potatoes except for breakfast potatoes which are pan-fried. I pretty much don't ever boil vegetables, I sautee them or sometimes microwave them with very little water, which usually is gone when the vegetables are done.

That's what I do, minus the butter, and the texture is always a bit off, not as loose as I'd like it. I want to keep cooking my rice without butter/olive oil/etc though.
Yeah I don't use butter or oil with mine. I think rinsing helps remove some of the starch and makes it less sticky. I imagine that with parboiling and draining it I am going to have even less stickiness. I am making some basmati tonight, I will give it a go and let you know.

Yeah I don't use butter or oil with mine. I think rinsing helps remove some of the starch and makes it less sticky. I imagine that with parboiling and draining it I am going to have even less stickiness. I am making some basmati tonight, I will give it a go and let you
Yes please let us know how it goes, I'll definitely try draining the rice next time I cook it.

Well I gave it a shot. I thought it was just fine, but my wife thought it had a weird wet texture. I probably should have used a fine mesh strainer to drain it rather than a colander. Though at the end I was mixing in some butter, lime and lemon juice, and cilantro so that probably made it wetter. In any event, it wasn't crunchy, like what I get sometimes at Chipotle.

I have derived this method on my own and don’t endorse it as anything other than what works for me. I use it at work as I have many uses for a plain, cooked rice. I can make a lot of different things with it and skip the cooking process as it’s already done.

Last edited:
Yes I like my rice as plain as possible too. I grew up eating white rice that's unsalted and unflavored, cooked just with the water using the absorption method (once again the texture was always a bit off, but it tastes good and it's a versatile ingredient that goes well with many different foods). Growing up I've learned to stir fry rice in olive oil and maybe adding a bit of onion too, it tastes better and the texture improves too but it's not as healthy and it's more expensive and more work :laugh:

Yes I like my rice as plain as possible too. I grew up eating white rice that's unsalted and unflavored, cooked just with the water using the absorption method (once again the texture was always a bit off, but it tastes good and it's a versatile ingredient that goes well with many different foods). Growing up I've learned to stir fry rice in olive oil and maybe adding a bit of onion too, it tastes better and the texture improves too but it's not as healthy and it's more expensive and more work :laugh:
Your fried rice is healthier than mine, I use a bit of butter and vegetable oil to fry mine! But it's delicious and I more than make up for it by using a lot more vegetables than what is normally used. I like to tell myself that, anyway. But maybe the toasted sesame oil drizzle I use at finish adds more calories than I really need, LOL. I dunno.

I always cook rice according to the rice & water ratio. 2 cups water to one cup parboiled rice & 1-1/2 cups water to 1 cup regular rice in the rice cooker, or in a small regular pot.

I was once at a friend's house where I was cooking some rice. She took the pot of rice & poured some water out of it, saying that the pot had too much water!! I told her that I was never cooking anything there again!!! 😡

I also use cooked rice for soups so the starch doesn’t cloud up the broth. I just add the amount I need at the end.

Having eaten steamed white Calrose Rice, made in an electric rice cooker, all of my life, I've never heard of boiling rice before.
I buy Hinode or Botan brand and rinse the uncooked rice until the water is no longer cloudy, add just a little water, shake the insert pot to even out the level of the rice, place my index finger just barely on the top and add enough water, slowly, to the first knuckle of my finger. Cover and press "cook" button and leave it go for a minimum of 30 minutes, done.
I've never measured either the rice or water and this method has worked perfectly each and every time.

A little off topic, but have you seen the price of rice lately?
I was (pre-pandemic) getting Botan or Hinode at our local Walmart here in Cowboyville for a little less than $4USD/5 pound bag.
Yesterday I saw it for $8.99 :facepalm:

Well I gave it a shot. I thought it was just fine, but my wife thought it had a weird wet texture. I probably should have used a fine mesh strainer to drain it rather than a colander. Though at the end I was mixing in some butter, lime and lemon juice, and cilantro so that probably made it wetter. In any event, it wasn't crunchy, like what I get sometimes at Chipotle.
Then drain well in a sieve.

. I usually give it a good shake in the sieve to remove excess water.
:whistling:

The only thing I'll add is that sometimes if my timing is off, I'll put the rice, still in the sieve, back in the pan with the lid on, on the now cooling hob ring.

Back
Top Bottom