Ever boiled your rice like pasta?

As of late, I've been cooking Carolina Rice or Basmati Rice. This might sound crazy to y'all, but I like the nutty taste of the Basmati rice or the starchy flavor in Carolina Rice. I heard that rice is supposed to be washed before cooking it, but I don't do that. :whistling:

As of late, I've been cooking Carolina Rice or Basmati Rice. This might sound crazy to y'all, but I like the nutty taste of the Basmati rice or the starchy flavor in Carolina Rice. I heard that rice is supposed to be washed before cooking it, but I don't do that. :whistling:
I didn't do it for a long time until I read that it can contain arsenic and other impurities.

Arsenic in Rice: Should You Be Concerned?

This is the boiled brown rice I made tonight:

This is nothing but brown rice, boiled in salted water, and a little pepper added.

It’s very fluffy, like a good pilaf, not sticky at all. I prefer this to the rice cooker, that’s for sure.

I didn't do it for a long time until I read that it can contain arsenic and other impurities.

Arsenic in Rice: Should You Be Concerned?

Looks like from the link that youi posted, that there seems to be no way to get out of it. Seems like if arsenic isn't in the rice, it is in the water that's used to cook it. And probably other things as well! :whistling:

Looks like from the link that youi posted, that there seems to be no way to get out of it. Seems like if arsenic isn't in the rice, it is in the water. And probably other things as well! :whistling:
It's true, but it also stated that there is a difference between inorganic and organic arsenic and the article also stated that rice contains a lot of arsenic 😔 so I think I will stick to rinsing rice, or parboiling and draining out the water before adding fresh water to finish cooking. It isn't a great hardship to do that.

It's true, but it also stated that there is a difference between inorganic and organic arsenic and the article also stated that rice contains a lot of arsenic 😔 so I think I will stick to rinsing rice, or parboiling and draining out the water before adding fresh water to finish cooking. It isn't a great hardship to do that.

It probably isn't a great hardship, but I just don't do it. To me, it's the starch that makes rice taste so good. :whistling:

It probably isn't a great hardship, but I just don't do it. To me, it's the starch that makes rice taste so good. :whistling:
I think rinsing at early stages doesn't reduce starch much.

It was, thanks! No butter, either, but I have never done that with Basmati anyway.

I've always added a pat of butter to the water when I cook any kind of rice & a pinch of salt. Then, when it's done, & if I didn't make any gravy or sauce, I put 2 pats of butter on the hot-cooked rice. That's some good eating!! One of my brothers calls it naked rice because there's nothing else on the rice but butter!! Hah!! :whistling:

I've always added a pat of butter to the water when I cook any kind of rice & a pinch of salt. Then, when it's done, & if I didn't make any gravy or sauce, I put 2 pats of butter on the hot-cooked rice. That's some good eating!! One of my brothers calls it naked rice because there's nothing else on the rice but butter!! Hah!! :whistling:
I add butter to regular rice but never basmati or sushi rice.

What is 'regular rice' in the US?
Short or long grained commercial rice that is rather neutral in flavor. If it's not basmati, jasmine, imperial, sushi, wild rice, brown rice, or a specialty rice, it's just your basic white rice...I could call it mundane, boring, LOL. But I still like it.

Back
Top Bottom