Ever boiled your rice like pasta?

I always make rice like pasta. That´s how I first learned to make it. Bring the salted water to a rolling boil, then add the rice, stir once or twice and then cook until a grain will just squash between your fingers.
When I was in Caracas (3000 ft above sea level) cooking time was exactly 14 minutes for white, long grain rice. Over here in London, I haven´t quite fathomed out the exact time yet.

I never did but it's something I've thinking about doing. I always cook rice using the absorption method but I just add the unwashed rice with water in a pot and let it boil. It tastes good but texture wise it's never quite there.

One question, how do you calculate the amount of water and what to do you do if you end up with excess water? Is it still double the amount of water for the amount of rice?

I never did but it's something I've thinking about doing. I always cook rice using the absorption method but I just add the unwashed rice with water in a pot and let it boil. It tastes good but texture wise it's never quite there.

One question, how do you calculate the amount of water and what to do you do if you end up with excess water? Is it still double the amount of water for the amount of rice?
What do you mean re how much water for boiling rice in it? There's no real calculation for water when cooking rice in it by boiling and draining... you just ensure that there is a good surplus of water, perhaps twice as deep again as the rice layer, (so if 2cm of rice, then minimum 4cm if water) and if you've not got enough either top up during cooking with boiling water from the kettle or just put a kid on it so it doesn't boil off. Then drain well in a sieve. I usually give it a good shake in the sieve to remove excess water. Its really no different to boiling potatoes or carrots or even pasta!

As SNSSO says if you're "boiling" rice then it's irrelevant how much water you use.

However, if you're steaming rice in a rice cooker, the rule of thumb that I use is 1 cup of raw rice to one cup of water; basically just cover the rice.

I also add ½ tsp of salt and after the rice cooker moves to "keep warm" mode I add a pat of butter, stir it in and then close the lid for a further 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I cook it like pasta. I find it get’s less stickier and can leave it in the fridge and add to it later for reheating. I keep cooked rice in the walk in at work to add to soups or wraps throughout the week.

If you boil it, do you ever end up with excess water? What do you do with that?

If you boil it, do you ever end up with excess water? What do you do with that?
Unless I’m misunderstanding (either your question or the process), you’re draining the rice after cooking, so any excess just goes down the drain, just like when you boil pasta.

Unless I’m misunderstanding (either your question or the process), you’re draining the rice after cooking, so any excess just goes down the drain, just like when you boil pasta.
Ahh, that's it. I don't drain the rice after cooking.

Btw how do you drain it? Would something like this work or would the grains escape everywhere?

Also does it make a difference if you boil the water first and add the rice when the water is already boiling, vs adding everything to the pan at once?
1660220189462.png

I'm amazed how popular boiling rice like pasta is, it never even occurred to me to do that. Don't a lot of the nutrients go down the drain?

Edited to add: i always rinse my rice well before cooking, but I just read an article stating that it may still have traces of arsenic remaining after rinsing. I read a couple of articles that suggested boiling the rice for a few minutes, draining the water, and adding fresh water to finish (utilizing the absorption method). That way arsenic and impurities are removed but you retain the nutrients. I'm going to try that.

Also I imagine for sushi rice boiling it like pasta would be a mistake.

Last edited:
when the rice is just cooked, I pour it all in a strainer and then, using the spray nozzle, give it a good rinse with cold water. It stops the cooking process and helps the inividual grains from sticking together. I’ll let it sit in the sink to drain for about 5-10 minutes. Then, I refrigerate it for future use, or keep some out and add stuff to add to soups, make a pilaf or either fry or microwave when I need it.

Last edited:
My wife cooks rice with the absorption method. 1 cup rice + 2 cups water, pinch of salt,plus a knob of butter. Put everything in the pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat until it´s just simmering, then put the lid on the pan. Take a look after about 10 minutes and there should be no visible water; just holes in the top. She then turns off the heat, puts the lid back on and leaves it for about 5 more minutes.

Don't a lot of the nutrients go down the drain?
I really don´t know, but I could ask the same question about boiling (a) pasta (b) potatoes (c) carrots. Unless you cook the stuff like my mum, ie. leave what ever your cooking to boil for about 45 minutes, then drain (if there´s any water left)

My wife cooks rice with the absorption method. 1 cup rice + 2 cups water, pinch of salt,plus a knob of butter. Put everything in the pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat until it´s just simmering, then put the lid on the pan. Take a look after about 10 minutes and there should be no visible water; just holes in the top. She then turns off the heat, puts the lid back on and leaves it for about 5 more minutes.
That's what I do, minus the butter, and the texture is always a bit off, not as loose as I'd like it. I want to keep cooking my rice without butter/olive oil/etc though.

Back
Top Bottom