Hey there,

msmofet

Here are some of the typical arepa fillings. I'll describe them from top left to right, so you know what they are.
1) Pelúa: (literally, "the hairy one"). pulled skirt of beef, white cheese. 2) La Sifrina (the snob) : a mixture of Reina Pepiá and yellow cheese. I'll describe the Reina Pepiá further down. 3) Pabellón (literally "National Flag"): pulled skirt of beef, fried plantain, white cheese. 4) Lllanera ("from the plains - where the cowboys are!") : chunks of beef, avocado, soft white cheese and, somtimes, tomato.
5) Reina Pepiá: This filling was invented in 1955, in honour of Venezuela's first international beauty queen, Susana Dujim. "Reina "was the first title, but after Susana personally visited the restaurant and tried it, the name had "pepiada, or pepiá"attached to it. Pepiada is an adjective used to describe beautiful women with ample assets. I'll leave it at that!! Cooked chicken breast, which is then pulled apart and mixed with mayonnaise, avocado, onion and cilantro. 6) Perico (meaning "parakeet"): basically egg scrambled with onion, tomato, sweet chile and cilantro, and maybe some avocado. 7) Con Queso: with cheese. Venezuelan cheeses are mostly white, and there are dozens of varieties. 8) Rumbera ("Party Animal"): gets its name from the custom of leaving a party at 3-4 am and going to an Arepera (a place that sells arepas) to soak up the booze. Gouda, pulled pork, plenty of butter. 9) Catira (means "blonde") . Chicken and any yellow cheese. 10) Dominó : Obvious. Black beans and white cheese. 11) Rompecolchón. (Literally, "Mattress Breaker") : this arepa is typical of the coastal regions, and is filled with seafood ( usually shrimp, squid, clams, sometimes octopus, or any seafood available, mixed with tomato purée, parsley and probably a shot of hot sauce. Supposedly, seafood is aphrodisiac; hence the name. 12) Tumbarrancho ("Knock your house down"): Mortadela, white cheese, ketchup, mayo, fresh tomato, cabbage. However, once the arepa is filled, it's dipped in batter and deep-fried!
1709409157027.png

Back
Top Bottom