Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

On the one occasion we hosted a party, one of the guests brought a 24-pack of Busch. Quite rude in retrospect, but I was fairly well lit on gluhwein, but upon leaving, I handed it back to them, thanked them again, and as nicely as possible, told them "No one here is going to drink this, you may as well take it back."

Weird, they never spoke to me again! :laugh:
You could have kept it for the next time they came over. Or used it to boil seafood.

You could have kept it for the next time they came over. Or used it to boil seafood.
I'm a dedicated non-seafood'er. Had they brought both seafood and beer, I'd have sent both back. :laugh:

Bread, OTOH...

Seriously, I did recognize it was extremely rude behavior (though I was rather in my cups at the time) on my part and texted an apology the next day, but they were slightly annoying friends anyway, so it wasn't a big loss. :)

Oh yeah, Busch bread, yuk. Beer cheese soup?

I forgot you didn't like seafood. My sister hates it too. I invited her over for dinner on one of those nights we were going to have salmon salads and I told her I would give her chicken with hers. She refused to come over, saying she didn't want to see it or smell it (the salmon). I said, "Seriously, what do you do when you go to a restaurant with friends and they order a seafood dish?" Her response: "Get up and move to another table."

I seem to remember Kraft cheese slices here. I wonder if they are still sold... goes to look.

....seems like there are Dairylea brand slices and supermarket's own brand - Cheesy Slices.

Contents:
Cheese (61%) (Cheese (Milk), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid)), Water, Palm Oil, Potato Starch, Whey Powder (Milk), Flavouring (contains Milk), Emulsifying Salts (Polyphosphates, Sodium Phosphates), Calcium Phosphates, Milk Proteins, Colours (Carotenes, Paprika Extract)

View attachment 41520

I have to admit I like this kind of thing on burgers. If it's not the vegan variety. I tried the vegan ones when I was vegan and honestly thought they tasted like charcoal.

Oh yeah, Busch bread, yuk. Beer cheese soup?

I forgot you didn't like seafood. My sister hates it too. I invited her over for dinner on one of those nights we were going to have salmon salads and I told her I would give her chicken with hers. She refused to come over, saying she didn't want to see it or smell it (the salmon). I said, "Seriously, what do you do when you go to a restaurant with friends and they order a seafood dish?" Her response: "Get up and move to another table."
I probably mentioned this before you joined, but MrsTasty looooooves most seafood, but especially lobster and crab legs. About the only time we get it is on special occasions, because we'll go out to spendy places then, and the quality is better. We usually go to a supper club that'll offer tails, or a tail or legs added to a steak.

One year for her birthday, though, I agreed to go to a proper seafood place. We drove nearly an hour, had to wait a bit, and as we were sitting there, I could smell that seafood smell, and I was getting more and more nauseated by the minute.

She finally looked at me and said, "Geez, you look like you're gonna puke!" - which I acknowledged was a very true statement. 🤢

We ended up going to a steakhouse around the corner, so she was able to get some (substandard) lobster, but it wasn't the same as a place that gets it flown in every day or whatever.

I can't even stand to smell the ocean, it just reeks.

I do not like the smell of McD so won't eat in there, KFC occasionally. I do enjoy a lamb doner wrap or a lamb shish from the local Turkish take away, plenty of salad and no heavy sauces. They are closed at the moment due to lack of custom.

I have to agree it smells a bit weird in there, like a mixture of something strangely sweet and cleaning detergent. At least that's how it is over here. I always wonder where the food smell goes.

I just looked at the Kraft individually wrapped slices in my fridge and it's very similar except it contains no Palm oil. I don't know if the deli stuff is better but I do know that Kraft is the best tasting of the wrapped slices. I personally hate the stuff but it's all my wife will eat on a sandwich. Our main uses are grilled cheeses (hers) and giving our dogs their pills.
I seem to remember Kraft cheese slices here. I wonder if they are still sold... goes to look.

....seems like there are Dairylea brand slices and supermarket's own brand - Cheesy Slices.

Contents:
Cheese (61%) (Cheese (Milk), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid)), Water, Palm Oil, Potato Starch, Whey Powder (Milk), Flavouring (contains Milk), Emulsifying Salts (Polyphosphates, Sodium Phosphates), Calcium Phosphates, Milk Proteins, Colours (Carotenes, Paprika Extract)

View attachment 41520

One year for her birthday, though, I agreed to go to a proper seafood place. We drove nearly an hour, had to wait a bit, and as we were sitting there, I could smell that seafood smell, and I was getting more and more nauseated by the minute.

She finally looked at me and said, "Geez, you look like you're gonna puke!" - which I acknowledged was a very true statement. 🤢

We ended up going to a steakhouse around the corner, so she was able to get some (substandard) lobster, but it wasn't the same as a place that gets it flown in every day or whatever.

I can't even stand to smell the ocean, it just reeks.
The things we do for love, LOL!

The things we do for love, LOL!
The things we almost do for love. :)

She likes to get seafood when we go to Florida, and there used to be a little local place where her parents lived that she loved. I never would go. We'd visit, they'd all go, and I'd stay home and get a pizza or walk to BK.

The year after her mom had to move (her dad was already dead), we were taking care of the house, so we went down there, and she mentioned wanting to go, "just like when Mom and Dad were here," 😢 so how could I say no to that, and it just so happened they were having prime rib night. How bad could it be?

Prime rib night, we went, the whole place smelled liked what I'd imagine a squid's butthole smells like, and everyone else, whether they ordered prime rib or not, had some kind of seafood.

Cracking noises left and right, stink, stink, stink, shells flying every which way...I took two bites of my meal, then had it boxed up to go and just sat there until she finished.

She started to ask about dessert and I said, "Don't even think about it, and you better take a shower when we get home to get all that stink off you!"

Oh, that sounds awful. I am so glad that my husband likes the same food I do. The only things he likes that I detest are Bleu cheese and anchovies. I can't think of anything else. And those two things are not a deal breaker, though I won't eat them.

Oh, that sounds awful. I am so glad that my husband likes the same food I do. The only things he likes that I detest are Bleu cheese and anchovies. I can't think of anything else. And those two things are not a deal breaker, though I won't eat them.
She likes blue cheese, I don't. I can eat anchovies, depending on how they're used (like melted into a sauce), though I don't really care for them, but she won't go near one.

Same my husband's preferences are pretty similar to mine. The only difference is he likes raw herring (a Dutch traditional food I don't like) and loves prawns which I am not super fond of. But I serve them to him at least twice a month because he loves them.

He on the other hand does not like Mcdonalds :roflmao:

My wife takes after her dad. He'd eat anything. Anything. The worst thing he ever ate, I'm sure he still thought it was pretty good, like a bad food just didn't exist for him.

She's not quite like that, but she's close. Most things she likes, but she does have a few things she won't go near, though she's much more likely to try something unfamiliar than I am.

Her mom was the other end. Good ol' Midwestern farm girl - if it wasn't beef, chicken, or pork, and some kind of heartland vegetable, she didn't want to know about it.

Back
Top Bottom