Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

I live halfway between two ALDI stores. I rarely go to either one. The problem I have is that I go to ALDI, and then always have to go to Kroger to get all the stuff I could not at ALDI. I never need to go to ALDI after I go to Kroger. So, it is all about getting what I need/want in one stop. ALDI has some stuff I like, but not enough to make a separate trip for it.

CD
Here, ALDI has a better cheese selection than the local Kroger. Being a smaller Kroger, they don't have the in-store "Murray's Cheesemonger" like the bigger ones do, so the most exotic thing I can get is Kroger-brand (Private Selection) Parmesan.

ALDI's here have a bunch of imported cheeses, things like champagne-comte and 12 kinds of cheddars, all from England, Dutch cheeses, etc.

I think that might be more of a guy thing? At least most (sorry for the stereotyping).
IDK...we have a local place a couple of miles down the road that used to do broasted chicken. I asked MrsTasty if she wanted me to get some for our last carry-out, and she said, "Yeah, whatever."

I got down there and they'd stopped the chicken when the virus started and were just doing cold stuff. I texted her and told her and asked for an alternative, and she said, "Well, now that they don't have it, that's what I want!" We had to settle for KFC. :laugh:

I'm not a fan of fast food but sometimes it's a necessary evil. One of the things that really grinds my gears about places like McD's and BK is that you walk in and look at the ad board and see a large, juicy burger, glistening lettuce and tomato with carefully applied sauce. When you sit at the table the reality is a handful of salty, cardboardlike fries hiding a miniscule burger that looks absolutely nothing like the picture of the thing you ordered.

HA! Well that sounds like my husband. If I tell him in the morning what I am planning on making for dinner and then in mid-afternoon suggest something different, he strongly resists. So just a personality quirk of some people, I guess. I flex better than that.

One time I recall we were travelling through France in the motorhome and for lunches we often stopped at a creperie. The kids loved them and always finished them. On our way back the kids spotted a McD and asked if we could go. We went and they didn't finish the food. We had galettes the next day by their request!

I'm not a fan of fast food but sometimes it's a necessary evil. One of the things that really grinds my gears about places like McD's and BK is that you walk in and look at the ad board and see a large, juicy burger, glistening lettuce and tomato with carefully applied sauce. When you sit at the table the reality is a handful of salty, cardboardlike fries hiding a miniscule burger that looks absolutely nothing like the picture of the thing you ordered.
This happened not long ago, maybe January or February - I got a Big Mac from McD's, and when I opened it up, it was assembled as:

Top Bun
Middle Bun
Burger Patty
Burger Patty
Bottom Bun

:laugh:

That's my husband to a tee. He even puts fake cheese (here it's called "American" cheese, hahaha) on a tuna sandwich! EWWWW. I make nice burgers using ground beef tenderloin occasionally. I want to put Havarti or Gouda, maybe some sharp white cheddar, and he wants American cheese. Oh well.

There's a difference between that super-shiny stuff wrapped in cellophane and proper American cheese. The former is pretty useless (I don't even give it to my dog), but the latter absolutely has its place.

Here's a good read:
What Is American Cheese, Anyway?

I can't remember what chef said it, but I do remember one saying that every professional chef's dirty little secret is that they keep a brick of Velveeta available to help stabilize cheese sauces. Just a very small amount keeps a cheese sauce from breaking.

Besides, Jacques Pepin says his favorite way to eat a cheeseburger is with American cheese, that there's something "quintessentially American" about it. :)

I do that very same thing. I use a little Velveeta with heavy cream and some good cheeses for my cheese sauce. I just kinda wing it, I didn't know it was a thing that other people do.

I buy my husband deli sliced American.

Wow, so that's why one can't find them in supermarkets... I occasionally can find them at a local farmer, but not many or often. They ARE good!

They were in small tins with an aspic? Jelly type covering it. They were like a few cents a tin when I was young. But the Uae consider them a delicacy, and pay top dollar.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom