Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

I had an altercation with my wife a few nights ago. She said "we are lucky that we have sufficient money" to buy a few items that we bought recently. I reminded her that we didn't win the lottery, I worked hard and saved wisely to accumulate the money that we do have. No luck involved.

We have a freight company here, their trucks/lorries lol. Carry quotes written on them, one I saw and always remembered from 20? Years ago, it said
The harder I work
The luckier I get.
So very true, I worked two jobs for years to get on the property ladder, worked 12 hr days for years before I started my own company. Now I can just "cruise" I guess I'm lucky too!

Russ

I don't mind tripe, you do have to cook it well. Dad made tripe marinara when we were growing up. I made a Turkish soup with it, and next plan to attempt Mexican menudo.

As for wearing gloves when cooking - hot peppers when I remember. I have silicon gloves for removing hot things from the oven.

When we had an extended power failure, and my water was limited, I used gloves to prepare chicken for grilling.

Otherwise, simply lots of hand washing.

I start retching at the sight of the word,

Russ

HA! Well that sounds like my husband. If I tell him in the morning what I am planning on making for dinner and then in mid-afternoon suggest something different, he strongly resists. So just a personality quirk of some people, I guess. I flex better than that.
So just to try out my theory: about 2 hours ago I said to hubby: "Ya know what? I am feeling a little lazy today. I know I said I was going to make salads tonight to go with our salmon, but what if I did caramelized Brussels sprouts with bacon and onion instead?"
Hubby: "You said we were having salads. I would really rather have salad."
Me: "Oh, but you like those Brussels sprouts."
Hubby: "Yeah but I am in the mood for salad. I don't feel like Brussels sprouts. I don't really like them that much anyway."

And it was only a MINOR adjustment. Forget about any major entree changes ever happening. And he likes Brussels sprouts just fine, just not today.

So just to try out my theory: about 2 hours ago I said to hubby: "Ya know what? I am feeling a little lazy today. I know I said I was going to make salads tonight to go with our salmon, but what if I did caramelized Brussels sprouts with bacon and onion instead?"
Hubby: "You said we were having salads. I would really rather have salad."
Me: "Oh, but you like those Brussels sprouts."
Hubby: "Yeah but I am in the mood for salad. I don't feel like Brussels sprouts. I don't really like them that much anyway."

And it was only a MINOR adjustment. Forget about any major entree changes ever happening. And he likes Brussels sprouts just fine, just not today.
I'm with your husband on that. I don't like last-minute changes, no matter what it is. Plan your work, then work your plan. :)

What have you done in the past when you ordered from a restaurant and were told, "Oh sir, I am so sorry. We are 86 that tonight."

That's my husband to a tee. He even puts fake cheese (here it's called "American" cheese, hahaha) on a tuna sandwich! EWWWW. I make nice burgers using ground beef tenderloin occasionally. I want to put Havarti or Gouda, maybe some sharp white cheddar, and he wants American cheese. Oh well.

Not all American Cheese is fake. If you go to the deli counter, you can get real American cheese. That said, a lot of people are nostalgic for the fake American cheese in the individual wrappers.

CD

Not all American Cheese is fake. If you go to the deli counter, you can get real American cheese. That said, a lot of people are nostalgic for the fake American cheese in the individual wrappers.

CD

I seem to remember Kraft cheese slices here. I wonder if they are still sold... goes to look.

....seems like there are Dairylea brand slices and supermarket's own brand - Cheesy Slices.

Contents:
Cheese (61%) (Cheese (Milk), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid)), Water, Palm Oil, Potato Starch, Whey Powder (Milk), Flavouring (contains Milk), Emulsifying Salts (Polyphosphates, Sodium Phosphates), Calcium Phosphates, Milk Proteins, Colours (Carotenes, Paprika Extract)

I seem to remember Kraft cheese slices here. I wonder if they are still sold... goes to look.

....seems like there are Dairylea brand slices and supermarket's own brand - Cheesy Slices.

Contents:
Cheese (61%) (Cheese (Milk), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid)), Water, Palm Oil, Potato Starch, Whey Powder (Milk), Flavouring (contains Milk), Emulsifying Salts (Polyphosphates, Sodium Phosphates), Calcium Phosphates, Milk Proteins, Colours (Carotenes, Paprika Extract)

Yummy. 🤒😬
I'll be having some of those tonight as I'm doing burgers.

One thing I'm adamant about is beer. I won't drink beer from big national breweries like Bud-Miller-Coors (BMC). Their offerings are just so pizz-poor, even when they buy out a craft brewer, they end up effing that up as well (looking at you, Goose Island...😒).

The closest to that I'll drink is Sam Adams. They're probably the biggest of the "craft" brewers, but they pale in comparison to the big three. They brew interesting varieties, and a good portion of it is brewed right here in Cincy, so it's a local beer for me.

I was sat at a bar a few years ago, about to order my first beer, when the bartender set one down next to me without my asking.

"What's this for?"

"Private party in here earlier, we're still finishing the keg, so it's on the house. Coors Light."

I thanked him and pushed it right back and ordered my regular. :)

On the one occasion we hosted a party, one of the guests brought a 24-pack of Busch. Quite rude in retrospect, but I was fairly well lit on gluhwein, but upon leaving, I handed it back to them, thanked them again, and as nicely as possible, told them "No one here is going to drink this, you may as well take it back."

Weird, they never spoke to me again! :laugh:

One thing I'm adamant about is beer. I won't drink beer from big national breweries like Bud-Miller-Coors (BMC). Their offerings are just so pizz-poor, even when they buy out a craft brewer, they end up effing that up as well (looking at you, Goose Island...😒).

The closest to that I'll drink is Sam Adams. They're probably the biggest of the "craft" brewers, but they pale in comparison to the big three. They brew interesting varieties, and a good portion of it is brewed right here in Cincy, so it's a local beer for me.

I was sat at a bar a few years ago, about to order my first beer, when the bartender set one down next to me without my asking.

"What's this for?"

"Private party in here earlier, we're still finishing the keg, so it's on the house. Coors Light."

I thanked him and pushed it right back and ordered my regular. :)

On the one occasion we hosted a party, one of the guests brought a 24-pack of Busch. Quite rude in retrospect, but I was fairly well lit on gluhwein, but upon leaving, I handed it back to them, thanked them again, and as nicely as possible, told them "No one here is going to drink this, you may as well take it back."

Weird, they never spoke to me again! :laugh:

Yes, love beer. I'm a member of Untappd, some of my favourites have been the Dartmoor Brewery 'Jail Ale'.

Back
Top Bottom