Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

I seem to remember Kraft cheese slices here. I wonder if they are still sold... goes to look.

....seems like there are Dairylea brand slices and supermarket's own brand - Cheesy Slices.

Contents:
Cheese (61%) (Cheese (Milk), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid)), Water, Palm Oil, Potato Starch, Whey Powder (Milk), Flavouring (contains Milk), Emulsifying Salts (Polyphosphates, Sodium Phosphates), Calcium Phosphates, Milk Proteins, Colours (Carotenes, Paprika Extract)

View attachment 41520
Love the name "Cheesy Slices" :laugh:

I probably mentioned this before you joined, but MrsTasty looooooves most seafood, but especially lobster and crab legs. About the only time we get it is on special occasions, because we'll go out to spendy places then, and the quality is better. We usually go to a supper club that'll offer tails, or a tail or legs added to a steak.

One year for her birthday, though, I agreed to go to a proper seafood place. We drove nearly an hour, had to wait a bit, and as we were sitting there, I could smell that seafood smell, and I was getting more and more nauseated by the minute.

She finally looked at me and said, "Geez, you look like you're gonna puke!" - which I acknowledged was a very true statement. 🤢

We ended up going to a steakhouse around the corner, so she was able to get some (substandard) lobster, but it wasn't the same as a place that gets it flown in every day or whatever.

I can't even stand to smell the ocean, it just reeks.
It kinda hurts my heart that you hate seafood. Growing up near the Gulf Coast, swamps, lakes and marshes seafood is a staple and frankly my favorite food. Don't get me wrong - I love a good steak, pork chop, roast, or poultry of any kind. I also enjoy game meat and fowl. In my mind and taste buds seafood has a delicacy of texture and flavor and an amazing versatility. I am somewhat surprised by your dislike of seafood especially given the sophistication of your palate and your culinary skills.
I do not mean to criticize. It may actually be a genetic thing. Baby Brother can not stand Cilantro (coriander) . It taste like soap. I have zero tolerance for artificial sweeteners. They make me gag. That includes Stevia which is supposed to be "natural".
I over did some yard time Wednesday. I did not pay attention to my water consumption. I woke at 2:30 a.m. Thursday with a cramp in my leg that would not go away. I also had a head ache. One look at my hands and i knew i was dehydrated. I quickly downed two 24 oz. mugs of water. Not good. G has packets of a powder called Liquid IV. An electrolyte supplement. He tells me it is flavorless. I mixed some with ice water in my mug. Gag a maggot! Nothing but artificial flavors and sweeteners. IDK why the artificial sweeteners were necessary since it has a ton of sugar. I had to add lemon juice in order to get it down. It worked. I had another glass today with lemon juice. Can not stand artificial flavors or sweeteners.

I over did some yard time Wednesday. I did not pay attention to my water consumption. I woke at 2:30 a.m. Thursday with a cramp in my leg that would not go away. I also had a head ache. One look at my hands and i knew i was dehydrated. I quickly downed two 24 oz. mugs of water. Not good. G has packets of a powder called Liquid IV. An electrolyte supplement. He tells me it is flavorless. I mixed some with ice water in my mug. Gag a maggot! Nothing but artificial flavors and sweeteners. IDK why the artificial sweeteners were necessary since it has a ton of sugar. I had to add lemon juice in order to get it down. It worked. I had another glass today with lemon juice. Can not stand artificial flavors or sweeteners.

Could also be electrolyte imbalance. My youngest stepdaughter played volleyball in high school and still plays in an league with other young adults. They swear by pickle juice, though I suppose eating a pickle might work just as well.

ElizabethB - thanks for the kind words; I have to say, I don't consider my palate all that sophisticated, especially compared to others on this forum. There's a lot I won't eat (get lost, avocado!), but there's literally so much variety of food in the world, that if I'm eating just 1% of it, I'm still getting a lot of diversity.

My wife is the same with cilantro. Can't stand it, I love it, so we compromise and use parsley. :). Her sister is like you are with the fake sugar.

Funny, I've been out in the sun and humidity, I haven't had enough water, and now I've got a headache!

ElizabethB - thanks for the kind words; I have to say, I don't consider my palate all that sophisticated, especially compared to others on this forum. There's a lot I won't eat (get lost, avocado!), but there's literally so much variety of food in the world, that if I'm eating just 1% of it, I'm still getting a lot of diversity.

My wife is the same with cilantro. Can't stand it, I love it, so we compromise and use parsley. :). Her sister is like you are with the fake sugar.

Funny, I've been out in the sun and humidity, I haven't had enough water, and now I've got a headache!
I love avocado and some guacamole (usually my own), but I won't touch the guacamole made in Mexican restaurants or sold premade at the grocery store--they put some weird preserving ingredient to make it stay green that tastes awful.

I like cilantro, my oldest brother also thinks it tastes like soap but his wife loves it.

I don't like artificial sweeteners but I do like stevia okay. I still prefer sugar and honey. I am not a fan of molasses, though.

Hope your headache goes away, yuk!

My mom is a good one for saying, "They learned/didn't learn that as a kid!" That always puzzled me.

Let me explain: if I, as an adult, were to buy an extravagant item, maybe a $150 chef's knife, my mom would disapprovingly say, "Well, that must be that fancy-pants wife of his - he didn't learn to be so careless with his money from me!"

If, OTOH, I were to say I liked living in the country with a fat little country girl doing my bidding, my mom would say, "Well, of course he likes that, that's how he was raised up!"

IOW, if it's something she sees as positive, that developed under her careful rearing of me, and if it's something she sees as negative...well then, she had nothing to do with that. :)

You can't have it both ways, Mom! :laugh:

How does that pertain to food preferences? Well, I don't know if childhood exposure is good, bad, or indifferent. Maybe it affects some more than others. I knew a guy who had the most wildly eclectic palate, and when I asked about his upbringing, I was surprised to learn he was raised on the blandest of diets.

I've know people the opposite (my brother, for a start)- they eat very limited foods, and they'll say it's because that's what they were raised with and that's what they like. Mountain Cat is like the opposite of that - was raised with lots of choice and still embraces that. Is her openness today because of her experiences as a child? If she'd gone the other way, would we say, "Oh, she hates offal now because she had to eat it as a kid?"

Personally, I think it's a fascinating thing, and it's about a lot more than our food preferences. It goes, really, right down to how we experience the world around us, and how we relate to it.

My parents are fairly old-school racists. So are a couple of my siblings. A couple of us, however, are as much turned the opposite as possible, so what gives? We were all exposed to the same language, same ideas, raised in the same house, same school, yet the oldest and youngest are the two most tolerant, and the ones in the middle are the least. Interesting, huh?

Back to food...for the record, I'm somewhere in the middle. While I don't feel my diet as a kid was limited, in that we had beef, chicken, pork, potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage, beans, tomatoes, turnips, radishes, celery, plums, apples, pears, cherries, berries, and a host of other "common" items, it certainly didn't encompass anything other than a blend of American Midwest and American South diets, and really a subset of those. No Chinese. No Italian. No Greek, Middle East, Mexican, etc. Now, I happily eat dishes from all those cuisines. You know how I am with my pizza - I didn't have a proper pizza restaurant pizza until I was 19. Do I love pizza because I missed out? I don't know. I love pork chops and I ate a ton of those growing up.

Consider this - we generally assume each generation is a little more worldly than the one before. I know it works that way in my family. I eat more things than my dad would ever consider. My mom will at least try something, but odds are, if it's not from that list above, she won't like it. They both absolutely abhor garlic. I love it and double the garlic in any recipe it calls for.

So I eat more things than my dad, I travel more than he ever did, etc. So his dad must have been even worse, or at least the same, right?

Wrong. Grandad would eat just about anything. Born and raised in central Kentucky in 1910 or thereabouts, farmers, fed themselves. When he retired and started to travel a bit, went to Florida, he couldn't get enough seafood. He probably never had a shrimp or lobster or a scallop until he was 62, but once he did, he loved it all.

I think it mainly just comes down to the mix of chemicals in our brains that make us each the individuals that we are: one person will react to something differently than someone else will react to exactly the same thing.

In the end, though, I don't care one way or the other...I eat what I like! :)
TR your comments are thoughtful. concise and insightful. :thankyou:
DIL and Grandson are "picky eaters". My house rule is you will at least taste whatever I have prepared. I can not tell you how many times DIL and GS tasted a dish containing food that they HATED and yummed up with OMG, this is sooo good! Some, not all, food prejudice is the result of poor preparation.

Hydrate Honey Bun. Headache, muscle cramps. weird vision are all signs of dehydration. I know because I have had to take G to the ER for dehydration. Also look at your skin. If you pinch the skin on your hand does it stay pinched up? Dehydration.
I hate the taste but the IV powder does a good job of quick hydration. Once you dehydrate it takes a lot to re-hydrate. I am a water drinker. It is not always enough. I detest sport drinks. I just made a pitcher of a cucumber infused water. It will sit at room temp for two hours then move to the fridge. I am using garden cucumbers so I leave the skin on. If using store bought peel first. Store bought cukes are waxed. Infused water is my summer favorite. My Niece has Cerebral Palsy. Sis has a hard time getting her to drink enough water. I gave her a solution. Apple cinnamon infused water. An apple sliced across the equator and a stick of cinnamon. Put in a pitcher of water for 2 hours at room temp then refrigerate.
My Niece calls it Apple Pie Water.
Infused water is not once and done. Add more water. I usually get three pitchers from one amount of infusions ingredients.
Take care of yourself. Dehydration is sneaky. You never realize it until it is too late. A big symptom of dehydration is muscle cramps. The heart is a muscle. That muscle cramp will kill you.

One of my sisters hates seafood. We were both raised in a small town on the Gulf of Mexico in FL where fishing is a major part of the local economy--fleets of fishing boats, seafood restaurants everywhere, seafood markets a plenty, and lots of tourists who come there to relax on the beach, go fishing, and eat delicious seafood. I grew up loving to fish and loving everything about the water. I love all water sports and love to swim and scuba. My sister hates the water, can't swim, and doesn't like seafood. I don't understand it at all!

Hydrate Honey Bun. Headache, muscle cramps. weird vision are all signs of dehydration. I know because I have had to take G to the ER for dehydration. Also look at your skin. If you pinch the skin on your hand does it stay pinched up? Dehydration.
I hate the taste but the IV powder does a good job of quick hydration. Once you dehydrate it takes a lot to re-hydrate. I am a water drinker. It is not always enough. I detest sport drinks. I just made a pitcher of a cucumber infused water. It will sit at room temp for two hours then move to the fridge. I am using garden cucumbers so I leave the skin on. If using store bought peel first. Store bought cukes are waxed. Infused water is my summer favorite. My Niece has Cerebral Palsy. Sis has a hard time getting her to drink enough water. I gave her a solution. Apple cinnamon infused water. An apple sliced across the equator and a stick of cinnamon. Put in a pitcher of water for 2 hours at room temp then refrigerate.
My Niece calls it Apple Pie Water.
Infused water is not once and done. Add more water. I usually get three pitchers from one amount of infusions ingredients.
Take care of yourself. Dehydration is sneaky. You never realize it until it is too late. A big symptom of dehydration is muscle cramps. The heart is a muscle. That muscle cramp will kill you.
Mint, cucumber, lime, and lemon are all great water infusers. I have done mint cucumber together before and liked it quite well, very refreshing. But I am also fine with water on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom