Fast food, convenience food and food snobbery

Store bought cukes are waxed.
If you really want to buy one and keep the peel, you can soak them in a water-vinegar solution for about 15 minutes, then rinse it off.

Organic ones, though, shouldn't have that on them. Anything where I'm going to use the peel (like citrus for zest), I buy the organic ones.

My sister hates the water, can't swim, and doesn't like seafood.
All three, all three
That's me, that's me!
:)

Mint, cucumber, lime, and lemon are all great water infusers. I have done mint cucumber together before and liked it quite well, very refreshing. But I am also fine with water on it's own.
When we visit my wife's sister, it's a six-hour drive each way, and we always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn that's there. The best thing after that drive is the big dispenser of flavored water (either citrus or cucumber) that's in the lobby.

I love avocado and some guacamole (usually my own), but I won't touch the guacamole made in Mexican restaurants or sold premade at the grocery store--they put some weird preserving ingredient to make it stay green that tastes awful.

I like cilantro, my oldest brother also thinks it tastes like soap but his wife loves it.

I don't like artificial sweeteners but I do like stevia okay. I still prefer sugar and honey. I am not a fan of molasses, though.

Hope your headache goes away, yuk!

Our favorite high end Mexican restaurant makes guac table side. It is the best we've ever had beside what we make at home.

Nothing like that around here. It's some sort of paste-like green stuff. Now Chipotle has good guacamole, but nowhere else that I have seen around here does.

It kinda hurts my heart that you hate seafood. Growing up near the Gulf Coast, swamps, lakes and marshes seafood is a staple and frankly my favorite food. Don't get me wrong - I love a good steak, pork chop, roast, or poultry of any kind. I also enjoy game meat and fowl. In my mind and taste buds seafood has a delicacy of texture and flavor and an amazing versatility. I am somewhat surprised by your dislike of seafood especially given the sophistication of your palate and your culinary skills.
I do not mean to criticize. It may actually be a genetic thing. Baby Brother can not stand Cilantro (coriander) . It taste like soap. I have zero tolerance for artificial sweeteners. They make me gag. That includes Stevia which is supposed to be "natural".
I over did some yard time Wednesday. I did not pay attention to my water consumption. I woke at 2:30 a.m. Thursday with a cramp in my leg that would not go away. I also had a head ache. One look at my hands and i knew i was dehydrated. I quickly downed two 24 oz. mugs of water. Not good. G has packets of a powder called Liquid IV. An electrolyte supplement. He tells me it is flavorless. I mixed some with ice water in my mug. Gag a maggot! Nothing but artificial flavors and sweeteners. IDK why the artificial sweeteners were necessary since it has a ton of sugar. I had to add lemon juice in order to get it down. It worked. I had another glass today with lemon juice. Can not stand artificial flavors or sweeteners.

I have both the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, and can not tolerate artificial sweeteners. WooHoo.

CD

Hydrate Honey Bun. Headache, muscle cramps. weird vision are all signs of dehydration. I know because I have had to take G to the ER for dehydration. Also look at your skin. If you pinch the skin on your hand does it stay pinched up? Dehydration.
I hate the taste but the IV powder does a good job of quick hydration. Once you dehydrate it takes a lot to re-hydrate. I am a water drinker. It is not always enough. I detest sport drinks. I just made a pitcher of a cucumber infused water. It will sit at room temp for two hours then move to the fridge. I am using garden cucumbers so I leave the skin on. If using store bought peel first. Store bought cukes are waxed. Infused water is my summer favorite. My Niece has Cerebral Palsy. Sis has a hard time getting her to drink enough water. I gave her a solution. Apple cinnamon infused water. An apple sliced across the equator and a stick of cinnamon. Put in a pitcher of water for 2 hours at room temp then refrigerate.
My Niece calls it Apple Pie Water.
Infused water is not once and done. Add more water. I usually get three pitchers from one amount of infusions ingredients.
Take care of yourself. Dehydration is sneaky. You never realize it until it is too late. A big symptom of dehydration is muscle cramps. The heart is a muscle. That muscle cramp will kill you.

Since do a lot of work in Texas either outside, or in non conditioned spaces, I am a water fiend. That and Gatorade. I drink one Gatorade for each three bottles of water. Those electrolytes are important. If you want to have some fun, try a few bottles of that blue Gatorade... or scare someone by giving them some. The blue dye in the drink has an interesting effect on bowel production. Pardon my crudeness, but the next day, it gives you green poop. :eek: :laugh:

CD

There's some kind of squash (looked it up, calabacitas) that can take the place of avocado in guac. It's a lot cheaper and from what I was reading in the news a lot of places were using it when there was a shortage a while back. It is very smooth textured when made with the squash.

We had Popeye's earlier this week for the first time in a couple of years. Ate like starving animals. McD's - :yuck:
Thanksgiving '18 we went to my brother's home in Florida. My Niece has Cerebral Palsy and can not make that trip without an overnight stop. There were numerous fast food joints in walking distance of the hotel. Niece wanted McD's. She said the Big Mac was the best. Three slices of bun with two paper thin, silver dollar size pieces of mystery meat and some slop on top.
Speaking of McD's, have you seen the movie "Founder"?

I recently watched and enjoyed mcmillions. The scam about monopoly. The fbi were very funny how it all went down. 10/10 for me.

Russ

We had Popeye's earlier this week for the first time in a couple of years. Ate like starving animals.

I want to try Popeye's but the closest one is about 2 hours in a direction I never need to go, from here. I did make a "variant" of their apparently famous chicken sandwich last year - I found a copy cat recipe online, but subbed chicken thigh for the breast meat, and used a lettuce wrap. It was good.

I love Chick-Fil-A. It's not hard to ask for a few mayonnaise and mustard packets. It's real chicken and I don't find it dry or greasy. The locations I have been to usually had a line of cars around the building. I get why they don't add the condiments, some people don't like mustard, some don't like mayonnaise. Much easier for customers to add their own. Can't comment about the quality of the drinks or fries. I never order soft drinks with my fast food, but then again, I only drink soda if it has booze in it. I never order combo meals, I just want the sandwich and some water. I don't like the fries at any FF restaurant, or even sit down restaurants for the most part. Unless it comes with the meal I don't want it, and even then I probably will only eat a few.

My cousin owns a Chick-Fil-A in Beaumont, TX. Yes, she and her husband are religious people, but not the "in your face" preachy kind of Christians. They do a lot of good for their community in the way of giving back and helping people in need. I go to spend Thanksgiving with them every year and they know I am agnostic, but they never try to "convert" me. They are just good people.

I never order FF fries. Indeed the only fries I like out are steak fries - they are thick enough that it is possible to cook them properly and still be good when they reach the table. I gave up all soda (other than seltzer I flavor myself with a wedge of lemon or lime) nearly ten years ago, and haven't looked back. For a while I was able to drink rum and ginger ale, but even that's too sweet for me. I go for rum and seltzer (hold the lime here).

It's not the individual franchise owners that are problematic for me with Chik-fil-A. It's the idea that some of my money will be sent off by the corporate owners of the chain to support anti-gay initiatives, when I have too many gay friends. I don't object to them doing it, if that's their belief, I just don't want to fund it, even if it's only pennies or less per visit. For me, it's the principle, and YMMV.

How does that pertain to food preferences? Well, I don't know if childhood exposure is good, bad, or indifferent. Maybe it affects some more than others. I knew a guy who had the most wildly eclectic palate, and when I asked about his upbringing, I was surprised to learn he was raised on the blandest of diets.

I've know people the opposite (my brother, for a start)- they eat very limited foods, and they'll say it's because that's what they were raised with and that's what they like. Mountain Cat is like the opposite of that - was raised with lots of choice and still embraces that. Is her openness today because of her experiences as a child? If she'd gone the other way, would we say, "Oh, she hates offal now because she had to eat it as a kid?"

Personally, I think it's a fascinating thing, and it's about a lot more than our food preferences. It goes, really, right down to how we experience the world around us, and how we relate to it.

My parents are fairly old-school racists. So are a couple of my siblings. A couple of us, however, are as much turned the opposite as possible, so what gives? We were all exposed to the same language, same ideas, raised in the same house, same school, yet the oldest and youngest are the two most tolerant, and the ones in the middle are the least. Interesting, huh?

Back to food...for the record, I'm somewhere in the middle. While I don't feel my diet as a kid was limited, in that we had beef, chicken, pork, potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage, beans, tomatoes, turnips, radishes, celery, plums, apples, pears, cherries, berries, and a host of other "common" items, it certainly didn't encompass anything other than a blend of American Midwest and American South diets, and really a subset of those. No Chinese. No Italian. No Greek, Middle East, Mexican, etc. Now, I happily eat dishes from all those cuisines. You know how I am with my pizza - I didn't have a proper pizza restaurant pizza until I was 19. Do I love pizza because I missed out? I don't know. I love pork chops and I ate a ton of those growing up.

Consider this - we generally assume each generation is a little more worldly than the one before. I know it works that way in my family. I eat more things than my dad would ever consider. My mom will at least try something, but odds are, if it's not from that list above, she won't like it. They both absolutely abhor garlic. I love it and double the garlic in any recipe it calls for.

So I eat more things than my dad, I travel more than he ever did, etc. So his dad must have been even worse, or at least the same, right?

Wrong. Grandad would eat just about anything. Born and raised in central Kentucky in 1910 or thereabouts, farmers, fed themselves. When he retired and started to travel a bit, went to Florida, he couldn't get enough seafood. He probably never had a shrimp or lobster or a scallop until he was 62, but once he did, he loved it all.

I think it mainly just comes down to the mix of chemicals in our brains that make us each the individuals that we are: one person will react to something differently than someone else will react to exactly the same thing.

In the end, though, I don't care one way or the other...I eat what I like! :)

Great post! I grew up as a rather eclectic eater - and I'd always thought it early exposure, but reading your post - Dad was not raised an eclectic eater. He grew up in a Kentucky household where he was served oatmeal, grits, and mushy overcooked vegetables on a regular basis (when we were growing up, Dad would not eat any of those things). While things like souse/head cheese and such were probably in his diet, Italian food - even the Americanized type which was what was available there - was considered decadently exotic and probably "too spicy". His tastes went from bland to adventurous when he got out on his own. He wanted to try EVERYTHING, and ended up liking most of it. His brother took a similar approach, although didn't go as far with it as Dad. (Mind you, grandmother liked cooking desserts and did them well - it was the mains that were bland. Although I did like her cheesy grit casserole - even if Dad hated it! )

As you note, there wasn't much seafood in Kentucky. Probably hand caught catfish, but not the wide diversity that comes from oceans. Dad loved it once he discovered it, too. My brother and I and my brother's ex-wife (the mother of his daughters) loved seafood. His two girls won't touch it. In fact, as long as they thought the brand, "Chicken of the Sea" was chicken... they ate that. As soon as they learned it was tuna fish... No Go Ever Again.

My brother is an adventurous eater, but neither of his two daughters are. (Well, the older LOVES hot sauce, and did so even when she was about three...)

Mint, cucumber, lime, and lemon are all great water infusers. I have done mint cucumber together before and liked it quite well, very refreshing. But I am also fine with water on it's own.

If you partake in cocktails, Ketel One makes a Mint Cucumber infused vodka. It is one of their "botanicals" vodkas - whatever that means.

Great on a hot summer day on the rocks mixed with a splash of soda/seltzer water and a wedge of lime 😁

My favorite main course item to get at Chipotle is an Adobe spice chicken bowl with brown lime cilantro rice, pinto beans, fajita peppers and onion mix, tomato salsa, lots of sour cream, lots of cheese, and some lettuce, with fresh tortilla chips to scoop. I haven't had one in a few years. It was one of those places they paid me to go eat, but they discontinued the program. I ate once a month at several of their locations in my area for about 8 years. I had to do a lot of walking to keep from gaining weight (sour cream and cheese will do that to you). One thing I loved about that place is that everything is made from scratch daily. They do not keep leftovers. Rice, beans, meats, etc. are all prepared each morning before they open. Now I am craving it, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom