Five facts about you.

1. I don't think I look like that but I'm a metalhead.
2. I'm not a plane spotter but I love planes. I can recognize a couple of different airplane models and like to watch 1 hour videos of planes taking off and landing. My favorite plane is the almost extinct super jumbo, the A380, the only airplane with a full double decker. I flew it once, Munich to Hong Kong.
3. I love travelling alone and I've been to a number of places. China, Hong Kong, Israel, Iran, Qatar, a couple places in Europe. Before I was 26 I didn't like travelling.
4. My paternal grandfather is chinese, his family is from Guangzhou. When they moved to Portugal they took portuguese nicknames to better fit in. I didn't learn his real name until I was 6 or 7. I was sick and my teacher wanted to call my grandparents so she asked for my grandad's name. She spent some time looking for him on the phone book, located the only person in our town who shared my chinese surname and figured that must be my grandad. I learned his name was Chew Lam. I thought his name was Joaquim.
5. I'm a bookworm, I think books were my first love.

2. I'm not a plane spotter but I love planes. I can recognize a couple of different airplane models and like to watch 1 hour videos of planes taking off and landing. My favorite plane is the almost extinct super jumbo, the A380, the only airplane with a full double decker. I flew it once, Munich to Hong Kong.
3. I love travelling alone and I've been to a number of places. China, Hong Kong, Israel, Iran, Qatar, a couple places in Europe. Before I was 26 I didn't like travelling.
4. My paternal grandfather is chinese, his family is from Guangzhou. When they moved to Portugal they took portuguese nicknames to better fit in. I didn't learn his real name until I was 6 or 7. I was sick and my teacher wanted to call my grandparents so she asked for my grandad's name. She spent some time looking for him on the phone book, located the only person in our town who shared my chinese surname and figured that must be my grandad. I learned his name was Chew Lam. I thought his name was Joaquim.

You also write impeccable English - especially as I think its not your first language? :okay:

Re your Chinese roots - do you ever cook Chinese?

That could be another fun fact, I hate Chinese food.
:ohmy:

I'm not that keen on the average anglicised Chinese restaurant food but I think there is a whole world of regional Chinese cooking which is a different thing altogether. Did your grandparents eat or cook Chinese food?

:ohmy:

I'm not that keen on the average anglicised Chinese restaurant food but I think there is a whole world of regional Chinese cooking which is a different thing altogether. Did your grandparents eat or cook Chinese food?

Not that often. My grandma hated cooking and my grandfather didn't do it often.

Food was a big issue when I traveled in Guangzhou...on top of spending hours looking for restaurants that had menus with pictures, I liked the food so much I was always starving after every meal. Long live McDonalds...

Last edited:
I am/used to be an amateur archaeologist, and I often used to try and imagine the people behind the finds that we turned up.
When I was growing up in NW Florida, I would walk the shores of the Choctawhatchee Bay after storms or by locations where they were building homes and disrupting the soil along the shoreline. I would often find pieces of pottery and arrowheads left from the Native-American tribes that had lived there in the centuries before. I found it fascinating. I donated some of the nicer pieces I had found to the local museum.

There was a really cool old burial mound in my city: Fort Walton Temple Mound | Fort Walton Beach Florida

It sounds like you have been living quite an interesting life!

I love heavy metal music too, and no, I don't look like I would either, LOL. I've seen Metallica in concert 3 times. I have also seen Ozzy Ozborne with Black Sabbath and many other heavy rock bands. But, it's not the only kind of music I like.

My dad was a Lt. Col. in the USAF. He was a pilot in 3 wars. I am fascinated by planes and I regret not ever learning how to fly one.

I love traveling too (many vacation trips to Mexico and Canada, and I lived in Japan for a few years when I was young), but I haven't gone anywhere since COVID-19 and probably won't for a number of years (keeping fingers crossed for a vaccine). I don't like traveling alone though, and have never gone out of the country by myself. How cool that you have! One of my brothers has lived both in China and Quatar with his job as a quality control engineer for big energy companies. One of my sisters is retiring from the US Department of State and she is waaaay more well-traveled than I and the rest of my siblings (she's been all over Europe and Asia).

That is a wild way to find out your grandfather's real name!

I too love books, though these days I don't read as much as I once did, and I tend to read more non-fiction than fiction these days.

Last edited:
There was a really cool old burial mound in my city:
NA burial mounds are fascinating. We're smack in the middle of them here. We're not that far from the Great Serpent Mound, the largest serpent representation in the world.

We live just minutes from Fort Ancient, which is up for UNESCO inclusion.

I looked it up, there are over 70 known mounds (not all were burial mounds) in Ohio, and all of them are south. I live up in the NE corner of the state (closer to NY and PA) and we have none (that have been discovered, anyway). That sounds like a good reason to take a road trip one day in the future when it's safer to do so.

I looked it up, there are over 70 known mounds (not all were burial mounds) in Ohio, and all of them are south. I live up in the NE corner of the state (closer to NY and PA) and we have none (that have been discovered, anyway). That sounds like a good reason to take a road trip one day in the future when it's safer to do so.
Right down I-71 to exit 32... :whistling:

It sounds like you have been living quite an interesting life!

I love heavy metal music too, and no, I don't look like I would either, LOL. I've seen Metallica in concert 3 times. I have also seen Ozzy Ozborne with Black Sabbath and many other heavy rock bands. But, it's not the only kind of music I like.

My dad was a Lt. Col. in the USAF. He was a pilot in 3 wars. I am fascinated by planes and I regret not ever learning how to fly one.

I love traveling too (many vacation trips to Mexico and Canada, and I lived in Japan for a few years when I was young), but I haven't gone anywhere since COVID-19 and probably won't for a number of years (keeping fingers crossed for a vaccine). I don't like traveling alone though, and have never gone out of the country by myself. How cool that you have! One of my brothers has lived both in China and Quatar with his job as a quality control engineer for big energy companies. One of my sisters is retiring from the US Department of State and she is waaaay more well-traveled than I and the rest of my siblings (she's been all over Europe and Asia).

That is a wild way to find out your grandfather's real name!

I too love books, though these days I don't read as much as I once did, and I tend to read more non-fiction than fiction these days.

I saw Metallica for the first time last year, they come to Portugal but I never got the chance to see them live, it was great! Also saw Slayer live last year in what was supposed to be their last tour but right after that they changed their minds and decided to tour again. This year there are no concerts and no travels sadly.

One of my favorite trips was Toulouse, I went to the Airbus factory and the museum attached to it, you can walk inside a Concorde and inside the A400M that appeared in one of the mission impossible movies. Right next to it there's something like an open air museum called Ailes Anciennes, basically a couple of former military men started buying and restoring old fighter planes. They have a lot of cool planes, you can seem them while they work on the planes and you they let you sit on the cockpit of a MiG-21. Really interesting.

When I was growing up in NW Florida, I would walk the shores of the Choctawhatchee Bay after storms or by locations where they were building homes and disrupting the soil along the shoreline. I would often find pieces of pottery and arrowheads left from the Native-American tribes that had lived there in the centuries before. I found it fascinating. I donated some of the nicer pieces I had found to the local museum.

There was a really cool old burial mound in my city: Fort Walton Temple Mound | Fort Walton Beach Florida

There was a Seminole burial mound on the college campus I went to, on the Indian River in Jensen Bch, FL. Has anyone ever heard of the Santa Nuestra Senora de Atocha? She was one of the 1715 Spanish treasure ships that sank during a hurricane that year.

My buddy Greg is out in Wyoming right now hunting for fossils. He goes every year. I might have mentioned him in the past as a cinematographer that has done shoots for Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" and won an Oscar for his contributions to the documentary "The Cove" in 2009.

There was a Seminole burial mound on the college campus I went to, on the Indian River in Jensen Bch, FL. Has anyone ever heard of the Santa Nuestra Senora de Atocha? She was one of the 1715 Spanish treasure ships that sank during a hurricane that year.

My buddy Greg is out in Wyoming right now hunting for fossils. He goes every year. I might have mentioned him in the past as a cinematographer that has done shoots for Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" and won an Oscar for his contributions to the documentary "The Cove" in 2009.
Wasn't "The Cove" about dolphin murdering? Deeply disturbing.

The shipwreck sounds familiar, did someone find it?

Wasn't "The Cove" about dolphin murdering? Deeply disturbing.

The shipwreck sounds familiar, did someone find it?

Yes "The Cove" was about how the Japanese did that to dolphins. Mel Fisher and his group discovered the Atocha and are, to my knowledge still salvaging the wreck (his sons). It looks like the "Concepcion" has also recently been found.

Yes "The Cove" was about how the Japanese did that to dolphins. Mel Fisher and his group discovered the Atocha and are, to my knowledge still salvaging the wreck (his sons). It looks like the "Concepcion" has also recently been found.
I knew that sounded familiar! I had watched something awhile back on TV about it. I once was offered a job as a salvage diver and declined. I think it's pretty dangerous and my skill level at the time wasn't up to par, in my opinion. I was in my early 20s. I think the guy running the operation had underlying motives about hiring me and it made me nervous.

Back
Top Bottom