Five facts about you.

I hate horses. Well, hate is a bit harsh. They are pretty to look at, but that's about it for me. I rode one once -- once. That was more than enough. I once slipped on some icy stairs, and slid down the stairs on my butt. Same experience as riding a horse. At least the ice didn't smell bad.

Cars, boats and personal watercraft (Seadoo) are my "rides" of choice.

CD
Horses are a lot like big dogs that you can ride, but they are way more expensive and they eat a lot. Not just grass and hay, but corn and oats too. My favorite horse could jump a 5-foot fence quite easily. We won lots of competitions. She could run really fast. I could stick my head out the back door and call her and she would come running. She was so obedient that I could ride her in the pasture with no bridle or saddle and use my legs and a tap on one side of her neck to cue her on which way to turn. She had a smooth gait, like a Cadillac. Sounds like the horse you rode had broken struts or a suspension problem!

Get off your horse and drink your milk! Don't think this was 2007 I jusy hadn't edited the date in the camera.

Gorgeous! Are you self-taught? That first one - is it in a paving stone?
Yes. Stepping stones. I made some to go around the front of the house. I took lessons to learn the basics. Like cooking the more you do it the better you get. The piece I get more complimen
Yeah, I had a huge crush on Deborah Van Valkenburg after seeing that movie.
everytime I have four empty bottles I want to put them on my fingers and clink them together and say Oh Warriors

1. I write left-handed, but I play guitar right-handed, throw a ball with my right hand, and there are many other things I do with my right hand as well.
2. I was a singer in a band in my 20s and used to play piano, guitar, and trumpet as well.
3. I am the youngest of 6 children from the same parents: I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers. I am 5'2" and one of my sisters is 6'0".
4. I lived in Okinawa, Japan from 1967 to 1970 and apparently knew how to speak Japanese fairly well at the end of those 3 years. I only remember a few words now.
5. I got suspended from the last forum I was in, LOL, and that's how I wound up here, and I am soooo much happier now!

Here's the story: the last forum that I (and Milkduds) belonged to, the moderators participated as regular users with regular screen names, but when they had to step in or close a thread, they hid behind the name "Forum Moderator" and did not disclose their identity (user name). Only they did not do a great job of staying anonymous because of the poor design of the forum, so I and several other people knew which user names were the mods.

There was one regular forum member who constantly made disparaging remarks to others. We alerted the mods and reported the offensive posts, but the mods did not intervene. New people would join, get harassed by her, and they never came back. This forum member eventually targeted me almost exclusively, following me around from thread to thread, trolling and harassing me. I would call her out on it, and she would post more antagonizing things just to get a rise out of me. But instead of the moderators suspending her, they did nothing but close the thread and leave a vague note of admonishment about the thread being closed due to escalating negativity blah blah blah.

One day I just got sick of it and I posted in a thread expressing my frustration with the mods--and I used their screen names instead of saying, "the mods"...so they suspended me. The head moderator sent me a private message demanding an apology for using their screen names in order for me to be reinstated. No way that was ever going to happen!

And that's how I found my way here.
I played baseball. Threw right. Switch hitter but was better batting left. Played football and threw left handed. I was in a meeting once and wrote something right handed. Laid my pen down and picked it up with my left hand and wrote. Guy conducting the meeting stopped the meeting to quiz me about it. I didn’t realize that people just can’t do that when I was roofing and when my right hand got tired I switched hammering with my left. I didn’t realize that everyone couldn’t do that.

I played baseball. Threw right. Switch hitter but was better batting left. Played football and threw left handed. I was in a meeting once and wrote something right handed. Laid my pen down and picked it up with my left hand and wrote. Guy conducting the meeting stopped the meeting to quiz me about it. I didn’t realize that people just can’t do that when I was roofing and when my right hand got tired I switched hammering with my left. I didn’t realize that everyone couldn’t do that.
Yeah, freaks peeps out when I do that. (not the writing bit, I'm almost exclusively left handed for writing)

"You're weird" is the usual comment.

Points 3 and 5, count me in
You bring the food, I will bring the wine! There is something fascinating about such places, sadness, possibly tragedy, forgotten stories never to be told. Poignant photo opportunities that must be taken whilst they still can. Mirrors.

Anyway, too deep. Best head for the beach :)

3. Fascinated by big empty structures - abandoned factories, prisons, hospitals, shipwrecks. Urban explorer in the making.
Whenever I drive through a remote area and I see, for example, an abandoned barn, my mind immediately reconstructs what things must have been like years ago when it was operational. I am guessing you might do something similar: there's a certain allure to wondering who trod these grounds prior to your arrival, and what happened since then to put things in the current state.

This also happens when I travel to places where things are truly ancient, like the Colosseum, Stonehenge, Avebury, but I don't normally do that when it's something purely of nature (such as natural erosion on a coastline).

I have mixed feelings about Clint Eastwood. Dirty Harry was entertaining, in a B-Movie kind of way. I did really like Gran Torino, though.
He seems to have be doing his best work as he entered his 70s (he's 90 now). The Mule was fantastic. But, I like him better as a director.

Did I watch (and enjoy) his spaghetti westerns and his Dirty Harry movies? Of course I did.

Whenever I drive through a remote area and I see, for example, an abandoned barn, my mind immediately reconstructs what things must have been like years ago when it was operational. I am guessing you might do something similar: there's a certain allure to wondering who trod these grounds prior to your arrival, and what happened since then to put things in the current state.

This also happens when I travel to places where things are truly ancient, like the Colosseum, Stonehenge, Avebury, but I don't normally do that when it's something purely of nature (such as natural erosion on a coastline).
I do that as well. (Over)Active imagination. :)

We were driving back from a holiday in Scotland and made a stop at one of the visitor sites along Hadrian's Wall. Late in the year, midweek, pissing down rain off and on...barely anyone was there.

We were out walking around, looking outlines of this and tumbled down stones of that and very quickly (as it tends to happen), the fog rolled in and mist began to settle, and what few people were there tended to just be very shadowy silhouettes, just slightly darker greyish blobs.

It was very, very easy to imagine having suddenly been transported back in time, and the amorphous figures were Legionnaires out on patrol - a just perfect day for me. Loved it!

I do that as well. (Over)Active imagination. :)

We were driving back from a holiday in Scotland and made a stop at one of the visitor sites along Hadrian's Wall. Late in the year, midweek, pissing down rain off and on...barely anyone was there.

We were out walking around, looking outlines of this and tumbled down stones of that and very quickly (as it tends to happen), the fog rolled in and mist began to settle, and what few people were there tended to just be very shadowy silhouettes, just slightly darker greyish blobs.

It was very, very easy to imagine having suddenly been transported back in time, and the amorphous figures were Legionnaires out on patrol - a just perfect day for me. Loved it!
I am/used to be an amateur archaeologist, and I often used to try and imagine the people behind the finds that we turned up.

Like so many of my peers, when I pass an old run-down farm, I wonder if there is an old, rare car that's been parked in there for 50 years.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnU9jcOEE2o

CD

Like so many of my peers, when I pass an old run-down farm, I wonder if there is an old, rare car that's been parked in there for 50 years.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnU9jcOEE2o

CD

About 10 houses away from me was an old barn like 40ft X 40 ft with about 3 complete bentleys/ rolls or similar. Huge head lights is my biggest memory. Shiny old cars, I was about 10 or so, don't remember much as I only got in that shed the once. It's now a double section with flats on it. I've often wondered what happened to them. Two batchelors lived there so I guess they were their families??

Russ

Back
Top Bottom