Food Abominations

We love these

rhuby_packs_raspberries_main_web_900x-jpg.jpg
rhuby_packs_strawberries_main_web_900x-jpg.jpg

They have the most wonderful fruit flavour
MrsT loves these:

A3627C73-2058-4EF9-B808-174B868E71EF.jpeg

Target

Given that you and your hub were cyclists, I get the dried fruit/trail mix thing. It's kinda a "go-to" for bikers and hikers, yes?
Yeah, big time. On tour you need so many more calories, even 8,000kcal a day had us still losing weight. We'd stop at the "top of the hour" as we called it and have a couple of handfuls of mixed nuts and dried fruit. We'd usually make our own mix because most contain desiccated coconut (Hubby isn't keen on) and dried banana (which I can't have and even the smell of makes me feel sick). Hubby would mix the whole lot together and then watch me pick all of one type out and eat it, then all of another and so on. Lol. Being high calorie, nutrition dense foods, nuts dominated the diet. Dried fruit gave you the more immediate kick and nuts sustained you for the next hour.

Going towards hotter climate, the mixed changed and salted peanuts & pistachio and dates became much more common. I'd usually wash the salt off because I hate it, lol.

We also started adding nuts in with the evening meal as well, cooking them alongside the sauces that went with pasta or rice. That softened them and added vital nutrients and calories. Dried fruit also started to arrive in the meals by the second 6 months. Similar concept to a tagine etc. We'd just cut dried apricots up and add them just before serving.

Oh but you forgot the parsley sauce lol.

I could stomach the sauce, just not the tripe. I used to swallow big chunks uneaten, just swallowed. Until I got to about 11 or 12. Then I put my foot down and said " I'm not eating this sh## again. ".I was taller than my 5ft 0 mum.
She never served it again . My kids would have no idea on what it is.

Russ

I could stomach the sauce, just not the tripe. I used to swallow big chunks uneaten, just swallowed. Until I got to about 11 or 12. Then I put my foot down and said " I'm not eating this sh## again. ".I was taller than my 5ft 0 mum.
She never served it again . My kids would have no idea on what it is.

Russ
Yeah, I remember you saying so. It must have been traumatic. But also hard on your mom raising you kids. Glad you'll never have to eat that again though.

My kids never knew the struggle lmao.
They were raised completely different to me.

Russ
Mine too. I only suggested they try foods but never forced them to eat things they didn't like. But we had money to buy tasty food.

Money is the difference. We had none. Growing up I wasn't going to raise kids that way. Not my mums fault. Just circumstances.

Russ
Exactly. When I was very young (youngest of 6 kids) my dad hadn't made Colonel rank In the AF yet and there were 6 mouths to feed. By the time I turned 12 there were just 2 kids still at home and my dad retired as colonel with great retirement pay, then got into real estate. We ate steaks after that.

Exactly. When I was very young (youngest of 6 kids) my dad hadn't made Colonel rank In the AF yet and there were 6 mouths to feed. By the time I turned 12 there were just 2 kids still at home and my dad retired as colonel with great retirement pay, then got into real estate. We ate steaks after that.
Lucky young girl. Circumstances huh.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom