Recipe French Spice Bread (Pain d'Epices)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:36 AM
French Spice Bread (Pain d'Epices)
Makes 1 9-inch loaf

Ingredients
228 grams (1 3/4 cups) AP flour
100 grams (1 cup) almond flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground mace
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
8 TB (1 stick) salted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
334 grams (1 cup) honey
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
2 TB minced crystallized ginger
1 TB finely grated fresh ginger
2 tsp grated orange zest

Directions
Heat the oven to 325F with a rack in the upper-middle position. Coat the bottom and sides of a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with butter. In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, the cinnamon, baking soda, ground ginger, mace, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and honey until smooth. Add the milk, eggs, crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, and orange zest; whisk until thoroughly combined.

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and fold only until no dry flour remains. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted at the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 65 to 70 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely, about two hours.

Recipe courtesy of The Complete Milk Street Cookbook

NOTES: I buttered the daylights out of my loaf pan, and there was still some sticking to the bottom. I suggest also putting down a bit of parchment paper. Also, since this is baking on the upper-middle rack, keep an eye on overbrowning the top as you're approaching the end of the cooking time, and slide a piece of aluminum foil over the top if needed.

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...nge-root-vegetables.23933/page-11#post-298821

Is that a honey ginger butter? Yum.

It looks lovely. I know this bread. Its a French classic and has many variations. Its full of warm, comforting flavours thanks to all those spices. I've never come across it using fresh grated ginger but I think its a great idea. Sometimes rye flour is used in Pain d'Epices and I reckon it could be good as an alternative to the almond flour here.

No, that’s just butter and marmalade, but flavored butter would be fantastic.
I know you don't like honey, but honey just makes everything better to me. Even ginger, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom