Recipe & Video French Toast from Bread Pudding

madebyyouandi

Local time
12:25 AM
Website
www.youtube.com

The proportions, so you can adjust the recipe, are 1 egg to 1 cup liquid to 1 cup dried/stale bread. For my loaf tin I use
  • 5 large eggs
  • 5 cups milk (you can substitute cream for a richer pudding)
  • 1/4 cup brandy (any flavored liquid like syrups or liquor work well to personalize the flavor)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (you can add up to 1.5 cups depending on how sweet you like it, because I pour syrup over it, I use less).
  • The zests from 2 - 3 oranges (you can use lemons as well)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • You can also mix in candied or dried fruits and/or nuts to suit your taste.
  • 5 cups stale/dried bread

Method
  1. Zest oranges and add to sugar, then combine with 2 cups of milk and bring to the simmer. Turn off the heat and let sit until cool.
  2. In a bowl whisk together five eggs, the salt, and any additional sugar you would like to use. Whisk in the orange flavored milk, the remaining 3 cups of milk, and all the flavorings. Strain to remove any solids.
  3. In a bread tin lay out your dried bread (and fruits or nuts, if using) and then pour the liquid mixture over it. Let it sit overnight to fully rehydrate the bread.
  4. Bake in a slow oven, 160C/320F for one hour. Let cool and refrigerate. Serve as is or with a sweet sauce -- at this point, you've made Bead Pudding, to make it into French Toast, slice the pudding and fry in hot oil or ghee for a few minutes on either side to develop a crust (this is my favorite way to eat bread pudding as the outside is crispy and the inside warm and creamy).
If you're interested, there's a video on YouTube of this.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu3U0Avw7kM&t=313s

But it's super yummy, my kids get the brandy-free version. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom