Recipe Fresh, Cold Tomato Soup with Sweetcorn Sauce

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:13 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is a soup designed to be served cold from the fridge for those days when it is simply too hot to eat. Now I'm living in Australia, we have those summer days (winters are still cold though) and the second of them is upon us. So I started making the soup early in the morning (6:30am) before it got too hot to want the cooker on at all and was done by elevenses.

Ingredients
1kg fresh, ripe tomatoes with plenty of flavour
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
2-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large stalk of celery, diced
1 medium- large potato, diced
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (¼ cup after chopping)
2-3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1tsp mixed dried herbs
1tsp garam masala
500ml vegetable stock (made from cooking water)
4 ears of fresh sweetcorn
125ml soya yoghurt
500ml fresh tomatoes juice
Juice of 1-2 lemons
Seasoning
Basil for garnish

Method
  1. Bring roughly 2L of water to boil in a large pan and having scored the tomatoes around their equator, place into the boiling water for 1-2 minutes before removing and allowing to cool enough to handle easily. Retain the water. Now peel the tomatoes, then chop them roughly and place in a bowl and set aside.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, garlic and celery and cook for roughly 10 minutes until the onions are transparent. Add the potatoes, chopped tomatoes, and 500ml of the cooking water, plus 500ml vegetable stock (made from tbe cooking water), and simmer (covered) over a low heat for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Add the basil, dill, mixed dried herbs and garam masala and stir. Simmer for another 5 minutes, covered. Leave covered until cool enough to liquidise.
  3. Whilst the tomato soup is cooking prepared the sweetcorn. Zap the ears of corn exactly as they came (with leaves, the lot) in the microwave for 10 minutes and then check they are nearly cooked. Add an extra few minutes if needed (my 4 took a total of 12 minutes in a 1200 Watt microwave). Once cool enough to handle, pull off the flower strands/strings whilst holding the base of the corn and then remove the leaves. Clean off any remaining strings and then cut the corn off the husk using a sharp knife. I find it easiest to make a square husk then scrape the sides down. It doesn't have to look pretty because you are going to blend the corn with the juice of 1 lemon and the yoghurt. You'll want a good liquidiser or Vitamix or food processor because it is essential that you have a velvety smooth mixture with no lumps or skins or anything. It must be totally smooth. Now set this aside, covered in the fridge until you're ready to serve the soup. It will thicken as it stands, sho don't worry about needing to add more yoghurt if needed to get it totally smooth.
  4. Finally, when the tomato part of the soup is cool enough, liquidise this as well until smooth. Add in the extra tomato juice and lemon juice, season to taste and also refrigerate until ready to serve. It should be a slightly thick consistency, ours was thicker but I didn't have any shop bought tomato juice and was using homemade which was quite thick to start off with.
  5. When ready to serve thin the tomato soup if needed (remaining cooking water or stock or just more tomato juice as you have available), then ¾ fill your bowl (or aim for 3 parts tomato soup, 1 part sweetcorn sauce) with tomato soup and then carefully add the sweetcorn sauce to make up the rest of the bowl. Garnish with extra basil and serve.

We found this to be a very tasty soup. Tbe sweetcorn sauce will probably make it a touch too sweet for the likes of morning glory, but this could be balanced with more lemon juice in with the unsweetened soya yoghurt. But for us, it worked really well and was really nice and very filling. I won't serve as much tomorrow though!
It will serve roughly 6-8 portions I think. It is down as 6 in the book.

Tbe sweetcorn sauce will probably make it a touch too sweet for the likes of @morning glory, but this could be balanced with more lemon juice in with the unsweetened soya yoghurt.

I expect so - but I imagine it would be a lovely contrast to the tomato, particularly if a bit more garam masala was added to the soup.

Re the 'velvety smooth' sweetcorn. Another way to achieve this if you don't have a vitamix is with a fine tami sieve (that is what I used to make https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/celery-apple-velouté.17075/. So blend first with a stick blender and the sieve.

P.S. you need to add book reference.

Back
Top Bottom