Pie crust

2,5 dl plain flour
0,5 dl rye flour
1,5 dl macadamia nut oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1,5 teaspoon sugar
0,5 teaspoon baking powder
4-5 tablespoons water

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, line a medium-sized, round pie pan (⌀ 24-26 cm) with the dough. Use a spoon to spread and lift the sticky dough up on the sides of the pan.

Filling

4 ripe pears, peeled, deseeded and cut into pieces
2 avocados, peeled, deseeded and cut into slices
2 dl starchy vegetable cooking cream (or 1 tbsp potato starch mixed with the fruit and 2 dl cream)
20 juniper berries, crushed in mortar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
0,5 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
150 g feta (type) cheese, crumbled

Garnish

50 g Parmesan slivers
A pinch of ground black pepper
pear, avocado and juniper berries

Prepare the pie. Place the pears and avocados on the bottom. Mix the eggs and seasonings with the cooking cream and pour it over the fruit. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese on top.

Bake in the oven (200°C) for 30-35 minutes until set and brown.

Garnish with Parmesan shavings, fruit and juniper berries, sprinkle some black pepper on top and serve with green bell pepper and iceberg lettuce.

(Salad dressing suggestion: juice of one orange, 2 tbsp evoo, 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar, 3 tbsp smooth Dijon mustard, a pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and a small bunch of finely chopped dill.)

Last edited:
This is very innovative I think. Your combination of apples, pears and juniper is great. I was planning an apple quiche with juniper for the current recipe challenge if I get time. Adding avocado is most interesting. I am trying to imagine how that works in terms of texture and taste.

^ We often combine feta with avocado in salads. I thought avocado would give a neutral stand/backup for the intense juniper berries and added rye to balance the earthy woodiness. Cheese is sometimes flavored with juniper berries in Finland (recipe link; katajanmarjalla maustettu = seasoned with juniper berry; juusto = cheese). Fruit and cheese is an ancient combo so after experimenting with e.g. banana and pineapple with juniper berries, I ended up with this group of ingredients. I've never cooked avocado(e)s in the oven before. After a quick search on the subject (suolainen avokadopiirakka = salted avocado pie) I thought of giving it a try. I didn't follow any specific recipe; just made it up as I often do. The taste of the pie was interesting: not bad but unconventional. The slightly rubbery texture of avocados was nice and chewy; not that tasty - but they did give a pleasant green color.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom