Funny but Oh dear!

Back when I was a massage therapist, I would take a 3 hour break at lunch and go for a swim at the beach, take a shower at the boardwalk, then go eat at one of the seafood restaurants there--and it was usually darned good.

When I was working regularly in later years at my merchandising coordinator job, I often just didn't eat lunch. I hate getting bogged down and tired that early in the day, so I would just much on a granola bar or a piece of fruit and get back to work (or just work right through lunch and take off early). Nowadays (semi-retired) I eat breakfast at lunchtime and it could be pizza, ribs, or lasagna (typically whatever is leftover from dinner) or it could be more traditional breakfast foods like pancakes or bacon and eggs. Just not eaten at breakfast time. In fact, it could be as late as 2 p.m. Or I will go do a "work" lunch where I find a restaurant evaluation and go eat, write a report on it, and get paid for it.

The only time we have done packed lunches in recent years is on days where we are traveling to a vacation destination, and I will pack tasty sandwiches such as tuna with chopped celery, mayo, mustard, and seasonings mixed on brioche buns or something similar. But that's just a few times a year, so...

I never butter my bread when I make a sandwich
I think the thing is that "sandwiches" are different country to country. I remember ordering a Reuben sandwich when I first went to NY. COULD NOT BELIEVE how ginormous it was!! No butter in a sandwich in the UK, it's unacceptable, but why not olive oil, mayonnaise, aioli ?

I think the thing is that "sandwiches" are different country to country. I remember ordering a Reuben sandwich when I first went to NY. COULD NOT BELIEVE how ginormous it was!! No butter in a sandwich in the UK, it's unacceptable, but why not olive oil, mayonnaise, aioli ?
I do use mayonnaise and mustard, usually both, sometimes one or the other depending on what is in the sandwich, type of bread, that kind of thing. ALWAYS some sort of condiment.

ALWAYS some sort of condiment.
It's the lack of condiment that makes sandwiches dire, and dry, and boring, and nasty.
At university, we'd get "cheese & ham" or "cheese and onion" rolls. I doubt there was butter on them - probably margarine back in the 70s- the other ingredients being a slice of ham/or onion and a slice of Cheddar. nuffink else!! I freaked out when I arrived in NY in 1973. Sandwiches filled to the brim with all sorts of stuff, salad dressings I'd never heard of ( French, 1000 Islands, Ranch, Green goddess) and pickles all over the place.

It's the lack of condiment that makes sandwiches dire, and dry, and boring, and nasty.

I'm rather partial to a simple cheddar cheese and onion sandwich (though it must use buttered bread). I suppose the onions serve as a condiment if sliced thinly. What I really hate is mayonnaise in any sandwich.

I'm rather partial to a simple cheddar cheese and onion sandwich (though it must use buttered bread). I suppose the onions serve as a condiment if sliced thinly. What I really hate is mayonnaise in any sandwich.
My mother was the same way. She strongly disliked mayonnaise no matter how it was used. However, she did like Miracle Whip salad dressing in potato salad or tuna salad, chicken salad, etc., which I find disgusting.

At university, we'd get "cheese & ham" or "cheese and onion" rolls. I doubt there was butter on them - probably margarine back in the 70s- the other ingredients being a slice of ham/or onion and a slice of Cheddar. nuffink else!! I freaked out when I arrived in NY in 1973. Sandwiches filled to the brim with all sorts of stuff, salad dressings I'd never heard of ( French, 1000 Islands, Ranch, Green goddess) and pickles all over the place.
Yeah, I took my mother and sister to NYC (among other places) a few years before my mother passed away and we ate at a NY deli in Manhattan that was phenomenal!

You might like one of these Muffaletta (from New Orleans, Louisiana):
1687039695293.png
1687039721444.png

My mother was the same way. She strongly disliked mayonnaise no matter how it was used. However, she did like Miracle Whip salad dressing in potato salad or tuna salad, chicken salad, etc., which I find disgusting.

I've heard and read about Miracle Whip before. I don't think I'd like it very much but as its not available here I can't sample it...

Did you go to Katz's Deli in NYC? Here is their famous pastrami sandwich...

1687051944223.png

CD

I like mayo on my deli sandwiches, but it has to be Duke's mayo if I make a sandwich at home.

"Duke's Mayonnaise is a condiment created by Eugenia Duke in Greenville, South Carolina, in 1917. Duke's is the third-largest mayonnaise brand in the United States (behind Hellmann's and Kraft), however its popularity was at first largely limited to the South. It is used in regional favorites such as coleslaw, tomato sandwiches, deviled eggs, pimento cheese, and potato salad. Duke's Mayonnaise contains more egg yolks than other mayonnaise products and no added sugar."

CD

I like mayo on my deli sandwiches, but it has to be Duke's mayo if I make a sandwich at home.

"Duke's Mayonnaise is a condiment created by Eugenia Duke in Greenville, South Carolina, in 1917. Duke's is the third-largest mayonnaise brand in the United States (behind Hellmann's and Kraft), however its popularity was at first largely limited to the South. It is used in regional favorites such as coleslaw, tomato sandwiches, deviled eggs, pimento cheese, and potato salad. Duke's Mayonnaise contains more egg yolks than other mayonnaise products and no added sugar."

CD
20230617_230659.jpg

Back
Top Bottom