Funny but Oh dear!

I tried to quote your post TR. The site wouldn't allow it.

My maternal grandmother resembles that from what I remember. There's something to be said for stereotypes.

Lovely stuff, especially the olive salad that goes on the bottom!
I get this from one of the stalls at Findlay Market:

IMG_4786.jpeg
IMG_4787.jpeg

Next time you’re visiting your boy, try it. I put it on pizza, in eggs, etc.

I was reading about frozen sandwiches the other day and they recommended miracle whip for that. Apparently it protects the breads integrity and doesn't make the bread wet when is defrosts which I find a little bit scary 😂

It was at the time available from a website called 'American Fizz' for about 3 or 4 pounds but I got as far as reading "genetically modified high fructose corn syrup" and tapped out 😆

Miracle whip is along the lines of Salad Cream in the UK. People love it or hate it. I use it in Tuna Salad, but that's about all. I don't know about freezing it, or the not making the sandwich bread wet thing. Sounds sketchy.

Monsanto owns the seed corn market in the US, so pretty much all corn here is genetically modified. It is safe, but Monsanto is an evil company, for other reasons. They sue farmers who don't buy their seed corn. Google it.

CD

In the times before WW, I bought Duke’s, but now it’s Burman’s (ALDI) reduced fat mayonnaise. 🫤

Duke's has a "light" mayo, with 1/2 the fat and calories. I haven't tried it. Hellman's Light tastes like regular Hellman's, to me.

CD

Fortunately, in my working past, we had a somewhat-decent cafeteria - and I usually brought in my own lunches, as there were microwaves; and sometimes I made salads to eat. I don't really like cold sandwiches at all, and there was no toaster for the bread, so I didn't do hot sandwiches there, either. For the last few years I was eating pretty much Paleo - other than still eating cheese and some beans -- so it was usually gluten-free.

I still prefer unsweetened salad dressings, and still don't eat all that much bread. It turned out very good for me to be on that modified Paleo plan during those years, and probably should return to it.

When I’ve forgotten to set the butter out or fill the butter crock, I use a vegetable peeler to shave thin strips of butter from the stick and use that.

MrsT just looks at me like I’m insane.
We've done that for decades with a cheese slice on the side of the butter. It works brilliantly.

Today we are going to do a fast casual burger restaurant evaluation. This place has really good burgers and their fries aren't bad. I like to get the little bacon cheeseburger. Hubby will probably get the double and we will split some fries (I don't usually eat that many).

Free food tastes better sometimes. At least I don't have to cook it and clean up after.

Miracle whip is along the lines of Salad Cream in the UK. People love it or hate it. I use it in Tuna Salad, but that's about all. I don't know about freezing it, or the not making the sandwich bread wet thing. Sounds sketchy.

Monsanto owns the seed corn market in the US, so pretty much all corn here is genetically modified. It is safe, but Monsanto is an evil company, for other reasons. They sue farmers who don't buy their seed corn. Google it.

CD
Monsanto are bad enough that everyone in the farming community here knows who they are. The majority of EU countries do not support genetically modified crops and some have directly banned Monsanto GM corn as they believe the science supporting it’s use is at best shakey and at worse skewed by the money of a multibillion dollar industry.

There are concerns about it effecting biodiversity and whilst the UK allows GM crops if we want to trade with Europe then we have to toe the line or not sell.

Where GM crops have been planted in the EU direct action has been taken by people literally ripping the crops out as they believe the cross pollination is big business imposing its will regardless of the law and whether it is wanted or needed.

So I don’t really buy into a blanket statement that it is safe and the bull that it was launched with that it would stop starvation hasn’t happened. Its food distribution that needs fixing.
As usual it’s all about money.

Last edited:
Some people have to be reminded that our fundamental rights are also based on freedom and that you can't force people to buy your crops.

Some people have to be reminded that our fundamental rights are also based on freedom and that you can't force people to buy your crops.

Monsanto can. What happens is that farmers who keep seed corn from this year's crop to plant next year get sued by Monsanto, because cross-pollination from nearby corn crops grown with Monsanto seed corn causes non Monsanto corn to have some Monsanto DNA in it, and they go to court for patent infringement, and independent farmers can't afford a building full of lawyers to fight Monsanto for years, so they end up settling by signing a contract to only buy Monsanto seed corn forever.

Bottom line, you can buy Monsanto seed corn, or kiss your farm goodbye. Monsanto is the proverbial 900 pound gorilla.

CD

True and tbh as I can’t prevent them doing it I'm also shutting my mouth most of the time. At least here in Germany happened a lot of protests against Monsanto, but the government has still plans to allow them somehow

True and tbh as I can’t prevent them doing it I'm also shutting my mouth most of the time. At least here in Germany happened a lot of protests against Monsanto, but the government has still plans to allow them somehow.

Monsanto is owned by Bayer... does that name sound familiar to you as a German? They have billions of dollars to buy politicians with, and not just American politicians.

I don't have a "NO genetically modified" position. If it is scientifically sound, and it solves a vital problem, then yes, we should use it. But, Bayer/Monsanto is using it to create a monopoly on seed corn in the US, and if they can, worldwide.

CD

As you mentioned, it's all about the money, not how much benefits it brings to humanity
There're good GM crops, but not all would be necessary, if we would stop planting huge monoculture farms il

Back
Top Bottom