Recipe Fusion Pork Fried Rice

blades

Local time
3:07 AM
This morning I took a half pork tenderloin out of the freezer not knowing what I would do with it. As I like to do I went through the fridge and pantry looking for an inspiration. I decided to make a fusion pork fried rice. The rice and sauce are certainly Asian but the rest of the ingredients are decidedly Western. It worked out well enough that I thought it was worth posting here. Sorry, no photo. I didn't decide to post it until after I had eaten it. It isn't difficult. Try it, you will like it.

Ingredients

1/2 of a pork tenderloin
1 cup short grain rice
1 bell pepper
1 onion
1 tomato
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp hoisin
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Instructions

The hoisin, sesame oil, vinegar and soy sauce are the sauce ingredients. Mix them together in a mug or small bowl. Put the rice and water in a covered sauce pan and simmer until done. Put a small amount of cooking oil in a wok and heat it. Remove the silver skin from the pork and cut it into 1/2" cubes. Season the pork with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Chop the onion, tomato and bell pepper coarsely. When the wok is hot add the cubed pork. Stir fry it briefly to brown it. Add the onion and bell pepper and stir fry again. Add the cooked rice, chopped tomato and sauce and stir fry to your preference. It is as simple as that.

The sauce gives the dish Asian flavor and acid. You could substitute your favorite vinaigrette for the sauce if you don't want the Asian flavor and don't mind adding oil to the product. If you go this route be sure to add salt since my version used soy sauce for the saltiness. Don't omit the tomato. It was a great addition to the dish. The sesame oil I used was a spicy product that also contributed to the flavor. The rice was an American grown product called Calrose. You could use an Asian short grain or a European one like Valencia or Arborio.

Looks good! :okay:

Texas rice is long grain rice, but that should work (I try to buy as local as I can). Uncle Roger would want us to use day old leftover rice for fried rice, anyway. :laugh:

Your comment "Don't omit the tomato" could be a challenge for me. It is winter, so tomatoes are out of season, and I live in North Texas, where fresh tomatoes suck even when they are in season. So, I generally have to use tomatoes from a can... sorry.

CD

Looks good! :okay:

Texas rice is long grain rice, but that should work (I try to buy as local as I can). Uncle Roger would want us to use day old leftover rice for fried rice, anyway. :laugh:

Your comment "Don't omit the tomato" could be a challenge for me. It is winter, so tomatoes are out of season, and I live in North Texas, where fresh tomatoes suck even when they are in season. So, I generally have to use tomatoes from a can... sorry.

CD
A long grain rice would be fine as well but you would need 2 cups of water to cook it. Tomatoes are way out of season here and I used a hydroponic tomato. Not exactly like locally grown but it added a lot to the dish.

Last edited:

Even our best tomatoes are crap but if I find half decent ones I peel them and freeze them. Adequate.....just!

1703985055169.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom