Recipe Georgian Pkhali

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
3:24 AM
Georgian Pkhali are delicious and healthy. I was first introduced to these when I was in St. Petersburg Russia on vacation, they are surprisingly flavorful, easy to make and make a great meal or appetizer.

The Red ones in my pics are of course the Beet Pkhali, the Green are more Corriander and Spinach based. I’ve included the recipe for the Beetroot version only so the post isn’t too long:wink: The Beet version is my personal favorite anyways:)

Edit: Forgot to add the “recipe” flair. Sorry!

500 g beets/beetroot
100 g walnuts
3 to 4 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
a handful of fresh parsley
a handful of fresh coriander/cilantro
0.5 tsp dried savoury
0.5 tsp ground coriander seeds
about a Tbsp of good-quality red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar

If you're using raw beets, then scrub them clean and wash thoroughly, wrap into a piece of foil and bake in a pre-heated 180C/350F oven for 60 to 90 minutes, until the beets are cooked. Cool, peel and grate finely. If you're using boiled beets, then grate them finely and let drain on a sieve for a while, to get rid of any excess moisture (you can press the beets even drier with your hands or a wooden spoon).

At the same time place the walnuts, garlic cloves and a generous pinch of salt into a food processor and process into coarse paste. Add the coriander/cilantro leaves and parsley, process again for a short while. (You can obviously use the good old pestle and mortar to make that walnut and garlic paste).

In a big bowl, mix the grated beets, walnut-garlic-herb paste and the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Be cautious with the vinegar - pkhali needs to be slightly acidic, but never vinegary, and the exact amount depends on the sweetness of your roasted or cooked beetroots.

Cover the bowl and transfer into the fridge or cold larder for 2-6 hours - this "waiting time" is necessary for the flavours to mingle and develop.
To serve, form the pkhali into small balls (optional) and place onto your serving plate. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, thinly sliced red onion or chopped of spring onion/scallion. Serve at room temperature.

1B570DF5-8AD0-4B63-974A-2EA4C08250BE.jpeg

43D2CC8C-D7E5-4FD7-835B-835C8644DC54.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom