Recipe Girolles and black trompette mushrooms with parsnip puree and cider gravy

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:12 AM

Ingredients (serves 2)
For the cider gravy:

1 red onion, sliced fairly finely
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp flour
200ml cider
Sugar, to taste
Salt, to taste

For the parsnip puree:
250g parsnips, chopped into small pieces
250ml almond milk (or use dairy milk)
2 tsp Pernod
Salt to taste

For the mushrooms and black pudding crumb:
50g girolle mushrooms
50g black trompette mushrooms
20g butter
50g black pudding, crumbled

To garnish:
Fresh parsley or tarragon leaves

Method
For the cider gravy:
This can be made ahead of time and re-heated.
  1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the sliced onion. Cook on a medium heat until the onion is soft and slightly caramelised.
  2. Add the flour and mix well. Cook for a further minute, stirring then add the cider.
  3. Continue to cook, stirring until the gravy thickens. Add salt and sugar to taste. I added half a teaspoon of sugar as the cider I used was a dry one.
For the parsnip puree:
  1. Place milk and parsnips in a saucepan, bring to the boil and then simmer until the parsnip is tender. Add the Pernod
  2. Place in a blender (or use a stick blender) and blend until fairly smooth.
For the mushrooms and black pudding crumb:
  1. Carefully clean the mushrooms. I usually rinse them and pat dry with kitchen paper as these type of mushrooms can retain fine grit. Slice larger mushrooms vertically.
  2. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the mushrooms. Cook gently until tender (about 5 minutes). Set aside and keep them warm.
  3. Wipe the pan and add the crumbled black pudding. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
To assemble:
Place the parsnip puree in the base of serving bowls, scatter the black pudding crumb over and arrange the mushrooms on top. Garnish with parsley or tarragon (optional). Spoon a little gravy in and around. Serve the remainder of the gravy separately.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom