Recipe Gluten-Free Duck Scotch Eggs

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:27 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Scotch eggs are seasoned ground meat of your choice wrapped around a peeled boiled egg, which can be semi-soft or hard cooked prior to the wrapping. Then, they’re typically rolled in breading, usually breadcrumbs. I went for coconut flakes instead. And, I used a large duck egg, which will require more covering than would a chicken egg.

scotch-egg.jpg

I figured if it was going to take a large amount of ground meat to cover a large duck egg, I should only have one for a serving. For chicken eggs, I’d consider a serving to be two eggs.

Seasonings are only limited by your imagination, and your spice cabinet. Should one use ground pork, I’d definitely make this more sausage-like!

• 1 large duck egg
  • 1/4 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and ground pepper
  • 1/8 cup coconut flakes
Pre-heat oven to 350 F.

Boil your egg(s) to preferred level of cooking — but if you like them real soft note that peeling will become hit or miss, mostly miss… I allowed this egg to cook at least 30 seconds longer than normal., but it was still soft.

Run under cold water, and peel.

Meanwhile, while the egg is cooking, mix your seasonings by hand into the ground beef, and form into a thin patty of uniform thickness that you can wrap around your egg.

When the egg is ready, gently form the meat around the egg, covering it on all sides. Be careful, as you don't want to rupture the egg.

Roll it in a layer of coconut flakes.

Place on a pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. The outside will cook faster than the egg interior. Serve.

scotch-egg-eating.jpg

Scotch Egg – quite yummy!
My beef was done to medium. For chicken eggs, the meat will cook a little more rapidly, but bake for at least 15.

I love Scotch eggs - especially if they have a soft yolk. The use of coconut flakes instead of breadcrumbs is an interesting idea. I guess that this would mean they have to be oven cooked? Not sure, but I imagine the coconut would burn if they were traditionally deep fried.

Back
Top Bottom