Recipe Goan Fish Curry

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
11:06 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Fish specific to the waters of Goa, India, would be preferred, but as this isn't always possible (including where I live), any decent white fish of a bit of thickness would work in this curry. I used cod.

goan-served.jpg

The recipe I followed left open the choice of vegetables - I went with okra, as I already had some in my refrigerator. AND mushrooms. But feel free to use your own choice of veggies - I do prefer to use those that are actually grown and eaten in Goa.

goan-okra.jpg

Goa is a large district of India, on the western coastline of that country. Being coastal, seafood was very important for many of the inhabitants here. This region was "colonized" by the Portuguese, and some cross-melding of food ingredients occurred.

This recipe comes here from Good To Know.

The recipe can be made as hot or as mild as you prefer (or, this may depend on ingredients available to you.)

goan-second.jpg

And yes, I had to modify a bit - I really don't know where my ground turmeric went, but do use it as described in the following recipe. (The jar will no doubt turn up now that I no longer need it...)

Prep Time: 15 minutes.
Cook Time: 20 minutes.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 2 or 3.
Cuisine: From Goa, India.
Leftovers Yes.

Goan Fish Curry

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 tablespoons ghee.
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds.
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
  • 1 medium onion (or two small onions) coarsely chopped.
  • 1 or two spicy peppers, your choice of level of spice. Chopped, and seeds optionally removed. You can also use dried and spicy instead - cut in half and remove seeds.
  • Anywhere from 3/4 pound to 1 pound of vegetables. I used okra (cut off the end that attaches to the stalk, and if the tip at the other end is brown, chop that off, too. If the okra are large, cut into one or so inch lengths). I also used mushrooms - slice or chop. Button or baby bella mushrooms are best for this recipe.
  • 2/3rds to a full can of coconut milk - up to 14 oz. / 400 mL.
  • About 1.5 inches of cinnamon stick
  • 1 heaping teaspoon of ginger paste.
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon guaram masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
  • Two tablespoons tomato paste.
  • 1 pound / 450 grams white fish (I used cod), cut into chunks.
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

METHOD:

Add the ghee to a large skillet, and heat to medium/medium high. When hot, add in the cumin and mustard seeds, allow to roast for about a minute, or until they start to pop.

Add in the onion and peppers, cook and stir until softened, about five minutes. Then, if using, add in the okra and mushrooms (or other vegetables you may be using - although if you are using very quickly-cooked veggies, wait until later for those). Also add the coconut milk and all the seasonings.

Cook another five minutes, to meld the flavors together. Add the fish, and any rapidly cooking vegetables you might be using. Cook another five minutes, continuing to stir.

Taste, and adjust seasonings as indicated.

Ideally, serve over a bed of basmati rice.

goan-fish-curry-logo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom