Recipe Golden Spam Fried Rice

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
8:07 PM
Spam Fried Rice is not uncommon and of course there is even a version on Hormel's own Spam website, but this method below combines a couple of techniques that elevate it somewhat that I've picked up over the years trying to emulate Chinese takeout versions and restaurant versions. Look away if you're a flat-earther monosodium glutamate-a-phobe (sorry but this ingredient is essential to get that restaurant taste).

Ingredients

2.5 cups of overnight cooked white rice (I use Thai Jasmine) left uncovered in the fridge so it dries out as much as possible
1/2-3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp monosodium glutamate (I use Ajinomoto)
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce (I use Lee Kum Kee Premium Light)
100g cubed Spam or Luncheon Meat
Handful of small cooked and peeled shrimp
5 leaves fresh sage sliced into thin strips
Half spring onion/scallion finely chopped
2 free range eggs, beaten and seasoned with a pinch of salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Method

1. Whether it is cooked the night before or whenever, the key to grainy fried rice is to allow it dry throughly - the drier the better. If this step is completed, add the salt, MSG and soy sauce to the rice pot and using your hand (I wear a disposable plastic glove) mix the rice with the seasonings well and break up all the clumps. This is one 'trick' I learned from a Chinese takeaway YouTuber as a step they go through in their establishments. You should do this just before you are about to start cooking.
2. In a wok, heat the vegetable oil on a high heat till it shimmers then toss in the Spam, shrimp, sage and most of the spring onion (reserve some for garnishing) then stir-fry for about 1-2 mins ensuring everything is getting coated in oil and a gets good turn on the hot surface of the pan.
3. Push the ingredients to the back of the wok and pour the egg into the front half. Let it cook for a minute or so but not until it is fully set.
4. Once the egg is about half done, dump in your rice on top of it and toss it around to coat as many grains in liquid egg as you can (this is the step from which it gets its 'Golden' name as the egg will coat individual grains and make them yellow - decent eggs help here) then stir-fry and toss the whole pan throughly so all the ingredients get mixed in for another 1-2 mins. Serve.

I'm a mise-en-place freak:

IMG_4164.JPG

Mix the seasonings into the rice by hand and break up all the clumps:

IMG_4166.JPG

When your wok is really hot, get your Spam, prawns and veg in:

IMG_4169.JPG

Now cook your egg halfway in the front half of the pan:

IMG_4171.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice fried rice!* I like the use of prawns which I think work very well with Spam (the saltiness of Spam with the sweetness of prawns).

N.B your bonus recipe needs its own thread and merits another entry! I will move it later...

* I am one of those MSG hater so would probably use sub something else or leave it out.

Last edited:
Very nice fried rice!* I like the use of prawns which I think work very well with Spam (the saltiness of Spam with the sweetness of prawns).

N.B your bonus recipe needs its own thread and merits another entry! I will move it later...

* I am one of those MSG hater so would probably use sub something else or leave it out.

I once made surf-n-turf kabobs with shrimp and SPAM -- I even posted it on the forum... Spam. Do you love it or hate it?

Yes, they do work together.

CD

Back
Top Bottom