Gumbo - different approaches?

Paul Prudhomme has a fast roux method done over high heat. It takes a bit longer than the 5 minutes he suggests. It takes practice to know when to pull the pot off the heat during prep. I burned the roux the first time I use this method. I made a long cooked roux once for a crab gumbo, but recall that Karen wasn't overly fond of it. I use file as a condiment at table. I watched a show once where the host, John Folse, made okra gumbo with a Houma woman. I've had okra before just don't remember how it was prepared. Karen doesn't like it

Have you tried the oven method? I did, once. It is a lot less likely to burn, but it takes WAY too long for my patience.

CD

There are a few things we can agree on when it comes to gumbo:

1) All gumbos must involve the Trinity
2) It's unlikely you'll find much more agreement than that from most people.

I've seen gumbo recipes that don't use a roux, but I have to say that they're missing that essential something...that thing I call fried chicken flavor. A roux is made from flour and oil, so that's basically what you have.

I have used tomatoes in my gumbos, which made sense since I've almost always made seafood gumbos of various types. Tomatoes seem to be a natural pairing for seafood. And, Emeril has used tomatoes in gumbo, so that's good enough for me:

https://www.emerils.com/126624/shrimp-okra-and-tomato-gumbo

I've made a variation of this recipe that adds okra:

Recipe - Shrimp and Oyster Gumbo

View attachment 34013

Yes, I know that roux and okra are typically looked at as an either/or sort of thing. But, with so many interpretations of what makes a gumbo, I figured it wouldn't hurt. And, it didn't.

I read once that the secret to getting the roux right was to heat it until it resembles the color of chocolate. This has never failed me.

I also love adding corn to gumbo, and I consider it essential. But, then again, I love adding corn to a lot of things that aren't commonly considered requirements (like chili), so that might just be me.

A gumbo with a tomato base comes from a Creole origin, while Cajun gumbo does not use tomato, and always uses a roux. You will find both in New Orleans, but go West and North from NOLA, and it will be pretty much all Cajun style.

As for okra, I use a roux and okra in my gumbo. I can not recall anyone I know just using okra as a thickener. I like the flavor of gumbo with both. I don't care for the taste of file, myself, but I put some on the table for people who like it.

CD

The next time I make Gumbo I will actually weigh and measure ingredients and post a recipe.
When I make Gumbo I make a HUGE pot. Plenty left over for freezing. Our favorite is Chicken and Sausage. I use a hen and chicken thighs, Andouille or good smoked sausage, fresh pork sausage and Tasso. The only liquid used is chicken stock/broth. I use the Holy Trinity always. da Pope (garlic) sometimes but not always. I do not salt or pepper gumbo until it is almost ready to serve. The sausages, Tasso and broth are seasoned. There have been times when I add no additional salt and only a little black pepper or cayenne.
I brown ALL of my meat except for the Tasso in a cast iron skillet before adding to the gumbo. Of course the skillet is de-glazed. I find that browning first adds so much richness to the Gumbo.

About roux. Not for the faint of heart. Requires constant attention and stirring. DO NOT, EVER, STOP STIRRING OR TURN YOUR BACK!!! I make roux in a cast iron skillet using a wooden spoon that is designated as my roux spoon. It is black from stirring hot roux. If you want to try a gumbo without having to master the roux making process you can order decent jarred roux on line. Richard's or Savoy's are my recommendations.

I just pulled the last gallon zip bag of gumbo from the freezer. I thought there was none left. I made it last February.

Traditional sides are ALWAYS garlic French Bread. Sometimes potato salad, sometimes baked sweet potatoes, sometimes both. Of course white rice.

The next time I make Gumbo I will actually weigh and measure ingredients and post a recipe.
When I make Gumbo I make a HUGE pot. Plenty left over for freezing. Our favorite is Chicken and Sausage. I use a hen and chicken thighs, Andouille or good smoked sausage, fresh pork sausage and Tasso. The only liquid used is chicken stock/broth. I use the Holy Trinity always. da Pope (garlic) sometimes but not always. I do not salt or pepper gumbo until it is almost ready to serve. The sausages, Tasso and broth are seasoned. There have been times when I add no additional salt and only a little black pepper or cayenne.
I brown ALL of my meat except for the Tasso in a cast iron skillet before adding to the gumbo. Of course the skillet is de-glazed. I find that browning first adds so much richness to the Gumbo.

About roux. Not for the faint of heart. Requires constant attention and stirring. DO NOT, EVER, STOP STIRRING OR TURN YOUR BACK!!!

I didn't mention tasso because it is so hard to find outside of Louisiana. I use it in my gumbo, but I have to make my own (from Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman -- great book). For those who are not familiar with tasso, it is a salt cured and smoked pork shoulder product that you dice up fine for flavoring the gumbo. It is not really a substantial "meat" in the gumbo. It is very salty, so EB's suggestion to wait to add salt until the end of cooking a gumbo with tasso in it is a good suggestion.

Can't say it enough, never walk away from a roux.

CD

I didn't mention tasso because it is so hard to find outside of Louisiana. I use it in my gumbo, but I have to make my own (from Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman -- great book). For those who are not familiar with tasso, it is a salt cured and smoked pork shoulder product that you dice up fine for flavoring the gumbo. It is not really a substantial "meat" in the gumbo. It is very salty, so EB's suggestion to wait to add salt until the end of cooking a gumbo with tasso in it is a good suggestion.

Can't say it enough, never walk away from a roux.

CD

We make it ourselves and there is more than just salt for the cure.

Recipe - Tasso

IMG_0973.JPG

This is gumbo that my wife brought home from a local Coney Island restaurant. This type of restaurant serves the following things:
  • Coney dogs (of course)
  • Greek food
  • Just about anything else they want to stuff into their menu
So, gumbo wasn't a total shock, though I wouldn't have predicted it. As you can see, it's really more of a soup. I don't believe they made any sort of roux, but they did add okra. It's not bad, but it's waaaay too mild for my palate (there is, literally, no spice at all to it). I decided to correct this by firebombing it with more habanero hot sauce than I probably should have used. But, the end result is good. Still, not nearly as good as the one I make. :)

Would anyone like to do a Gumbo 'Cookalong' instead of Dish of the Month November. The difference between a 'Cookalong' and Dish of the Month is that the CookingBites 'Cookalong' is a more specific dish (or technique) and not a generic category of dishes. In the past we have had Cookalongs for 'Paella' & 'Coq au Vin' for example. Gumbo of course has many varieties and a vegan or vegetarian one could also be made, so most people could join in if they wanted.

I for one would love to do it, as I've never made a gumbo.

The weather is cooling slightly - almost "Gumbo Weather". I am ready to cook. Warning - When I make a Gumbo it is HUGE! One huge gumbo and maybe one small one will last us for a year. We rarely eat gumbo during the summer - unless I am feeling very lazy and pull a package out of the freezer for an easy dinner.

I promise to weigh and measure all of my ingredients and try to give a complete recipe that can be replicated. You will have to cut it down to suit your needs.

Bring it on MG. This Cajun Lady is ready to cook. REAL Gumbo done right.
:woot:

View attachment 34061

This is gumbo that my wife brought home from a local Coney Island restaurant. This type of restaurant serves the following things:
  • Coney dogs (of course)
  • Greek food
  • Just about anything else they want to stuff into their menu
So, gumbo wasn't a total shock, though I wouldn't have predicted it. As you can see, it's really more of a soup. I don't believe they made any sort of roux, but they did add okra. It's not bad, but it's waaaay too mild for my palate (there is, literally, no spice at all to it). I decided to correct this by firebombing it with more habanero hot sauce than I probably should have used. But, the end result is good. Still, not nearly as good as the one I make. :)

Thanks for bringing up another thing about Cajun gumbo, and Cajun flavors in general.

Cajun food is often thought of as mouth scorchingly hot. In reality, it is very spicy, but no in a "slap in the face" kind of way. It kinda' creeps up on you. It is very full of flavor, but doesn't burn your mouth like some spicy foods do. You suddenly wonder, "Is it getting hot in here?" Your neck starts to sweat, and you feel the need to lose a layer of clothing.

That's why I love Cajun food so much. Some spicy foods are so hot, you can't taste any flavor.

CD

Back
Top Bottom