Gumbo - different approaches?

caseydog
You are so correct. Cajun food is not hot. It is rich and flavorful with subtle herbs and spices. The addition of smoked and cured meats adds an unbelievable depth of flavor. Step Son - who has lived in Texas for too long - thinks that food must be overbearingly hot. Because he was born in Louisiana his friends think that he is the be all end all of Cajun cooking. We can not eat his cooking. His focus is heat for the sake of heat instead of a little bit of heat for the sake of flavor. BIG DIFFERENCE.

caseydog
You are so correct. Cajun food is not hot. It is rich and flavorful with subtle herbs and spices. The addition of smoked and cured meats adds an unbelievable depth of flavor. Step Son - who has lived in Texas for too long - thinks that food must be overbearingly hot. Because he was born in Louisiana his friends think that he is the be all end all of Cajun cooking. We can not eat his cooking. His focus is heat for the sake of heat instead of a little bit of heat for the sake of flavor. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Yup! If you go to a Cajun restaurant in Texas, you will often get something with too much heat on the front end. I serve mine with a bottle of hot sauce on the table for the pepper-heads to add as they like.

CD

caseydog
It bothers me that people have such a wrong impression of what Cajun Cooking is all about. The general public does not understand the difference between spicy/savory and heat for the sake of heat. The herbs, spices and savories used in Cajun cooking are subtle and divine.

caseydog
It bothers me that people have such a wrong impression of what Cajun Cooking is all about. The general public does not understand the difference between spicy/savory and heat for the sake of heat. The herbs, spices and savories used in Cajun cooking are subtle and divine.
Same as with South Asian food - people always think of curries and always think even they are going to be hot, whereas a lot are light and fragrant.

OK - enough of you have expressed an interest in having a Gumbo 'Cookalong' during November instead of 'Dish of the Month'. I'll set up the new thread later today. :D

Oh - and the 'file', I ordered arrived. Its not quite like anything I've had before. I certainly don't dislike it. It seems quite mild.

Carrots in Gumbo? IDK about that. What the heck. To each his own.

A vegetarian gumbo is possible and has been done before.

There is an unusual twist on Gumbo - Gumbo Z'Herbes - green gumbo. According to tradition (legend) Gumbo Z'Herbes was a meatless Gumbo served during Lent. As with any Gumbo there are as many ways to make it as there are cooks. Today Gumbo Z'Herbes will ususally have meat except on meatless (fasting) Fridays. Some make it with a roux some do not. One thing that is consistent is an odd number of greens, at least 5. Any assortment of leafy greens can be used. Example: collards, turnip greens, cabbage, kale and spinach.

The more greens the better. According to tradition you will make a new friend for each green used.

Leah Chase, the legendary owner/chef at the Dooky Chase restaurant in NOLA, serves Gumbo Z'Herbes during Lent. Several years ago her Green Gumbo gained national attention when it was featured on a cooking show.

I have never eaten Gumbo Z'Herbes. I may have to try a small batch. I would add meat - both smoked and fresh sausage and I would use a roux base.

Gumbo - First you make a Roux.

Marcelle Bienvenu is a local cook book author. Her book "Who's You Mama, Are You Catholic and Can You Make a Roux" is a compilation of Cajun and Creole recipes as well as old photos and stories about growing up in south Louisiana. The title is a tongue-in-cheek reflection of priorities that the parents of a young man would have for his prospective bride.

South Louisiana (south central and south east) has been predominately Catholic for centuries. Many culinary traditions revolve around the church calendar. Gumbo Z'Herbes evolved to fulfill the the Lenten fasting requirements.

Oh - and the 'file', I ordered arrived. Its not quite like anything I've had before. I certainly don't dislike it. It seems quite mild.

Ground Sassafras leaves. The flavor is mild. It is used as a thickening agent. The mild flavor is an additional boost. I hope your File is more green/brown rather than brown/green. The greener it is the fresher it is.

BTW - if anyone wants to order Louisiana Andouille, smoked sausage, Tasso or Roux let me know and I will post a link.

In 2000 I had the good fortune to spend 2 weeks in Manhattan compliments of Uncle Sam - My two week annual active duty for the USNR. The daughter of a good friend was living in a 4 plex on Staten Island. When she heard that I would be in Manhattan she invited me to spend a few days with her after my 2 week duty. Her one request was a gumbo for her and her friends. I carried andouille, fresh pork sausage, tasso and file with me from Lafayette, LA to Manhattan. Janna met me at the airport and kept the meat in her freezer for 2 weeks. When I made that gumbo the wonderful smells coming from her kitchen drew neighbors from the apartments around her.

In 2008 G had open heart surgery at Baylor Hospital in Grapevine, TX. (a suburb of Dallas.) The Cardiologist was kind of a relative - his ex-wife's cousin. After the surgery she wanted us to stay close for 2 weeks. Rather than stay at a rehab facility she invited us to stay at her home. While there she asked me to make a gumbo for her. :hyper:I could not find andouille, tasso or file. I had a hard time finding a good smoked sausage and fresh pork sausage.

January 2018 I visited my brother in Denver, Co. He has been away from Louisiana for most of his adult life. He asked me to prepare a gumbo. Again I carried ingredients with me. I wish I had carried jarred roux. I had no idea how much difference the altitude would make. Roux is usually equal parts oil and flour. At over 5,000 ft. the ratio was 2 parts flour to 1 part oil.

The only problem with a gumbo cookalong in November is that you can't get fresh crawfish and frozen is more than likely to be Chinese garbage. I guess shrimp would be alright as a sub.

Ground Sassafras leaves. The flavor is mild. It is used as a thickening agent. The mild flavor is an additional boost. I hope your File is more green/brown rather than brown/green. The greener it is the fresher it is.

BTW - if anyone wants to order Louisiana Andouille, smoked sausage, Tasso or Roux let me know and I will post a link.

In 2000 I had the good fortune to spend 2 weeks in Manhattan compliments of Uncle Sam - My two week annual active duty for the USNR. The daughter of a good friend was living in a 4 plex on Staten Island. When she heard that I would be in Manhattan she invited me to spend a few days with her after my 2 week duty. Her one request was a gumbo for her and her friends. I carried andouille, fresh pork sausage, tasso and file with me from Lafayette, LA to Manhattan. Janna met me at the airport and kept the meat in her freezer for 2 weeks. When I made that gumbo the wonderful smells coming from her kitchen drew neighbors from the apartments around her.

In 2008 G had open heart surgery at Baylor Hospital in Grapevine, TX. (a suburb of Dallas.) The Cardiologist was kind of a relative - his ex-wife's cousin. After the surgery she wanted us to stay close for 2 weeks. Rather than stay at a rehab facility she invited us to stay at her home. While there she asked me to make a gumbo for her. :hyper:I could not find andouille, tasso or file. I had a hard time finding a good smoked sausage and fresh pork sausage.

January 2018 I visited my brother in Denver, Co. He has been away from Louisiana for most of his adult life. He asked me to prepare a gumbo. Again I carried ingredients with me. I wish I had carried jarred roux. I had no idea how much difference the altitude would make. Roux is usually equal parts oil and flour. At over 5,000 ft. the ratio was 2 parts flour to 1 part oil.

Homemade andouille and tasso aren't hard to make. What I really want is a good spice mix for crawfish boils. Jambalaya would also be a good CookaLong dish.

Back
Top Bottom