Gumbo - different approaches?

I was packing books to donate to the Library for their annual book sale and found a book that I had forgotten about.
Gumbo Life Tales From the Roux Bayou by Ken Wells.

Wells grew up in Bayou Black, LA. A very remote, deep south, Louisiana community. A tiny speck on the map. Populated by shrimpers, fishermen and hunters.

Wells chronicles the history of Gumbo. He discusses the many variations with recipes. A delightful, informative read.

If you are interested in the history and the complexity of Gumbo this book is a must read.

I loved the story of Wells first attempt to make gumbo on his own.

Seriously - Learning to make Gumbo is best learned by the side of someone who knows how to make it. You can read recipes and follow them to a T. If you have never tasted Gumbo you have no point of reference.
Gumbo is a compilation of wonderful flavors. Learned at the skirt of your Mother. I wish I could transport a taste of real gumbo to all of you.

Gumbo is made with heart and soul. It is difficult to replicate.

I have preparing Indian Cuisine. It taste good but it lacks something. There is an incredible, authentic Indian Restaurant a mile from home. I can replicate a recipe but I can not replicate the heart and soul of True Indian Cuisine. I want to stand by the side of the Chef to really learn how to make authentic, real, Indian Cuisine.

The same is true with a Gumbo.

First you make a roux.
If you mean Indian as in Asian cuisine, a good traditional book is Indian Cookery by Dharamjit Singh. I think it's out of print now, but secondhand copies do turn up on Amazon (at least in the UK). A more modern Indian cookery book is Fresh India by Meera Sodha.

Back
Top Bottom