Gumbo - different approaches?

CraigC

I have never used crawfish in gumbo. In Cajun country seafood gumbo is usually shrimp, crab and oysters. Probably because fresh crawfish are not available at this time of year.

We can be so silly. The first cold (cool) weather is called Gumbo Weather. Local stores stock up on Gumbo basics when that first wave of cold weather is predicted. Today is the day. It was 48 degrees F this morning. A light frost is predicted for tomorrow morning. The high yesterday was 80 F.

If you don't like the weather wait 24 hours.

It still hits 90F + these days. Probably won't see any lower temps until late November. I've seen recipes for gumbo with crawfish, haven't made one though.

I think we still have a 1 pound bag of crawfish tails in the deep freeze from our last boil. As we need to use them up before the fat goes rancid (yes, even in the deep freeze it will go rancid after a while), maybe we should sacrifice to the Gumbo Gods. LOL

That fancy fish place we went to had frozen crawfish tails. I picked up a bag to look at it to see where it was from. On the front, it had something about Mandeville on it, but I've learned to be wary of that. Turned it over and sure enough Product of China in very small print hidden amongst the nutrition and ingredient verbiage.

Coincidentally, I am watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations at this very moment. It is one of many programmes on my DVD recorder that I never got round to editing or giving a title to. It's the "Cajun Country" episode, but there's no mention of gumbo so far.

Buyer Beware. You really have to read the small print on seafood packages. A couple of years ago a dear friend called - very excited - he found frog legs for a very cheap price. I called the store to see if they still had frog legs available. The seafood manager did have frog legs - with the disclaimer that they were from China. :stop:

I have seen packages of crawfish labeled with Cajun sounding names that were from China.

CraigC

I am still trying to wrap my head around crawfish in a gumbo. Crawfish have become so precious that I would not use them in a gumbo. When I cook crawfish I want the unique flavor to shine. A dish where crawfish is the main ingredient. Etoufe, Sauce Picante, Jambalaya, Bisque, Crawfish Pie. Dishes where crawfish are front line.

If you are making a seafood gumbo your challenge is a seafood broth for the base. Good luck. We will be competing head to head.

Ground Sassafras leaves. The flavor is mild. It is used as a thickening agent. The mild flavor is an additional boost. I hope your File is more green/brown rather than brown/green. The greener it is the fresher it is.

BTW - if anyone wants to order Louisiana Andouille, smoked sausage, Tasso or Roux let me know and I will post a link.

In 2000 I had the good fortune to spend 2 weeks in Manhattan compliments of Uncle Sam - My two week annual active duty for the USNR. The daughter of a good friend was living in a 4 plex on Staten Island. When she heard that I would be in Manhattan she invited me to spend a few days with her after my 2 week duty. Her one request was a gumbo for her and her friends. I carried andouille, fresh pork sausage, tasso and file with me from Lafayette, LA to Manhattan. Janna met me at the airport and kept the meat in her freezer for 2 weeks. When I made that gumbo the wonderful smells coming from her kitchen drew neighbors from the apartments around her.

In 2008 G had open heart surgery at Baylor Hospital in Grapevine, TX. (a suburb of Dallas.) The Cardiologist was kind of a relative - his ex-wife's cousin. After the surgery she wanted us to stay close for 2 weeks. Rather than stay at a rehab facility she invited us to stay at her home. While there she asked me to make a gumbo for her. :hyper:I could not find andouille, tasso or file. I had a hard time finding a good smoked sausage and fresh pork sausage.

January 2018 I visited my brother in Denver, Co. He has been away from Louisiana for most of his adult life. He asked me to prepare a gumbo. Again I carried ingredients with me. I wish I had carried jarred roux. I had no idea how much difference the altitude would make. Roux is usually equal parts oil and flour. At over 5,000 ft. the ratio was 2 parts flour to 1 part oil.

I can pretty easily find andouille and file in my burb, about 20 miles East of Grapevine. Tasso... no way. I have to make my own. I have a pretty good selection of smoked sausage available locally. Let me know if you are coming through again.

CD

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I am watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations at this very moment. It is one of many programmes on my DVD recorder that I never got round to editing or giving a title to. It's the "Cajun Country" episode, but there's no mention of gumbo so far.

Is that the one where they do the Boucherie? I don't remember them making a gumbo on that episode. Great episode, though.

CD

It still hits 90F + these days. Probably won't see any lower temps until late November. I've seen recipes for gumbo with crawfish, haven't made one though.

I don't recall ever seeing crawfish gumbo, either. I do like a good crawfish Etouffee. I've never made it -- really need to.

CD

Usually, my favorite is Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo!!

Medtran and ElizebethB pretty much covered it.

I grew up in cajun country. So, that's how I learned to make gumbo. Tomatoes don't show up in cajun cooking very often, and I've never seen tomatoes in cajun gumbo. The most important part of a cajun gumbo is making a good roux, without burning it. If you can pull that off, you have the hardest part done. Here is one of mine. It was a "chocolate" roux for a chicken and andouille gumbo. A chocolate roux doesn't look pretty, but it makes the gumbo right. Chocolate refers to the color, obviously.

View attachment 33999

I use okra in my gumbo, but I add it early so the "slime" cooks out. I don't care for file, but put a jar on the table for people who like it.

And, the glamour shot...

View attachment 34000

CD

I want that orange pot!! Hah!! :wink:

caseydog
The closest I get to Grapevine is Plano. My Niece and her family live there. Not very close. I visit only once or twice a year. I will give you a shout the next time I visit. Maybe we can grab a cup of coffee - or glass of wine.

I was packing books to donate to the Library for their annual book sale and found a book that I had forgotten about.
Gumbo Life Tales From the Roux Bayou by Ken Wells.

Wells grew up in Bayou Black, LA. A very remote, deep south, Louisiana community. A tiny speck on the map. Populated by shrimpers, fishermen and hunters.

Wells chronicles the history of Gumbo. He discusses the many variations with recipes. A delightful, informative read.

If you are interested in the history and the complexity of Gumbo this book is a must read.

I loved the story of Wells first attempt to make gumbo on his own.

Seriously - Learning to make Gumbo is best learned by the side of someone who knows how to make it. You can read recipes and follow them to a T. If you have never tasted Gumbo you have no point of reference.
Gumbo is a compilation of wonderful flavors. Learned at the skirt of your Mother. I wish I could transport a taste of real gumbo to all of you.

Gumbo is made with heart and soul. It is difficult to replicate.

I have preparing Indian Cuisine. It taste good but it lacks something. There is an incredible, authentic Indian Restaurant a mile from home. I can replicate a recipe but I can not replicate the heart and soul of True Indian Cuisine. I want to stand by the side of the Chef to really learn how to make authentic, real, Indian Cuisine.

The same is true with a Gumbo.

First you make a roux.

Back
Top Bottom