Haggis and other Scottish Foods

Chips: signed! Haggis: what is/are haggis?
I suspect you may not like it as you said you didn't like strong tasting meat and don't like lamb... it is sheep's heart, liver and lungs, minced with onion oatmeal, suet and spices and encased in a sheep's stomach. It looks like this but may be served in slices.

_75904921_154311347.jpg

I suspect you may not like it as you said you didn't like strong tasting meat and don't like lamb... it is sheep's heart, liver and lungs, minced with onion oatmeal, suet and spices and encased in a sheep's stomach. It looks like this but may be served in slices.

View attachment 6585

Sheeps!? :sick: mmmmmm....no thank you....

its an incredibly tasty dish, but when deep fried in batter and served with chips (true Scottish style) it takes on another dimension!

its an incredibly tasty dish, but when deep fried in batter and served with chips (true Scottish style) it takes on another dimension!

Pardon? That's not the way any of my Scottish family served it.

Actually, I recall my mother making the point that it is not the case that haggis is haggis is haggis. Like anything else, there is better and there is not so good. People learn (or learned - my mother left Edinburgh in 1960) which butchers offered the best haggis.

Oh and one other point for @MypinchofItaly, remembering the title of this thread. One thing is definite about how they serve haggis in Scotland, and that is - not for breakfast!

Pardon? That's not the way any of my Scottish family served it.

Actually, I recall my mother making the point that it is not the case that haggis is haggis is haggis. Like anything else, there is better and there is not so good. People learn (or learned - my mother left Edinburgh in 1960) which butchers offered the best haggis.

Oh and one other point for @MypinchofItaly, remembering the title of this thread. One thing is definite about how they serve haggis in Scotland, and that is - not for breakfast!

Oh ok! Infact I thought they served haggis for breakfast! But I'm sorry about that because I don't think this change for me..:(

tatties and neeps are side-dish, right?

Yes, vegetables. 'Tatties' are potatoes. 'Neeps' are swedes.

I hope you are paying attention @MypinchofItaly. As @morning glory says, tatties is a Scottish term for potatoes. Neeps is actually short for turnips, but what the Scottish call turnips, we, the English, call Swede. Don't know what the Swedish call them. We also have a root vegetable we call turnips in England, but it is a different, though related root vegetable to swede. Have you got it now? You will have to pass an exam before they will let you in to Scotland. I know what will help, have a wee dram...

I hope you are paying attention @MypinchofItaly. As @morning glory says, tatties is a Scottish term for potatoes. Neeps is actually short for turnips, but what the Scottish call turnips, we, the English, call Swede. Don't know what the Swedish call them. We also have a root vegetable we call turnips in England, but it is a different, though related root vegetable to swede. Have you got it now? You will have to pass an exam before they will let you in to Scotland. I know what will help, have a wee dram...

:laugh: I'm studing very hard! And if I will be in trouble, I'll say them "Ken Natton said", and they will say "ok ok, don't add anything else, these are the keys of the city" :thankyou::hug::laugh:

Back
Top Bottom