Local time
1:16 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes.
Cook Time: 4 – 5 hours.
Rest Time: Not needed.
Serves: 3 – 6.
Cuisine: Clearing the Harvest, Kitchen-Cleanout.
Leftovers: Yes!

Ham & Harvest Green Tomato / Potato / Turnip Green Soup

soup-eat.jpg

All ingredient amounts are approximate – this is partially an exercise in garden and kitchen clean-out. The pork came from a local farmer and was pasture-raised.

• Ham (leftovers, bone included if you have). About 3/4 – 1.25 pounds.
  • Pork bones (about 1/2 a pound, more or less. Leftover from chops, roasts, or etc.
  • 2-3 stalks celery
  • 1 large onion (peeled and divided in half).
  • 1-2 shredded carrots (I didn’t have so I didn’t use – but if you have…)
  • A splash of apple cider vinegar.
  • 1-2 teaspoons of ground cloves, or 1 generous tablespoon whole cloves.
  • About 0.75 – 1 pounds of green tomatoes. Mine were cherries – halve this. Chop up any full-sized tomatoes to bite size, if using.
  • About half a pound of potatoes (I used “baby-sized” – if larger, chop in half or quarters.)
  • Half a bunch or so of turnip greens, chopped (other hardy greens such as beet greens, kale, or Swiss chard can work as well, or in addition to.)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (you may not need the salt as the ham itself is salty).
  • Optional parsley for garnish.

Cover ham, and pork bones, with water, bring to a boil. Meanwhile, prep the onion half (large chunks), celery (small bits), and any carrots. When the water with meat has reached a boil, reduce to a simmer and skim any scum off the top and discard. Add the onion, celery and carrots for the mirepoix. Add the cloves and the splash of vinegar.

Simmer, covered, for about 4 hours, checking and adding more water as necessary to keep the ingredients covered.

Remove meat and bones from the pot, remove any meat from any of the bones and reserve that meat. Discard bones and chop up the ham and any additional pork into small bits. Return meats to the pot.

Add green tomatoes (Cherries should be halved), potatoes, the other half of onion (chopped), and the greens.

Simmer for another 30 minutes. Taste, and add salt (if needed) and ground pepper (as desired). Serve, and garnish if desired with fresh parsley.

It looks very Autumnal and as I said elsewhere I love the title of the recipe 'Ham & Harvest Soup'. The cloves are an intriguing addition, particularly as they are the only spice used aside from pepper.

Back
Top Bottom