kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
10:49 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
That canned meat called Spam® is very popular in Hawaii.

"Hawaii consumes more Spam per capita than any other state, with five cans eaten per person per year—about 7 million cans total—according to Nicole L. Behne, a Spam senior product manager." (quote from slate.com)
WOW! I knew that we ate alot of that glorious meat, but WOW!

You'll find Spam® Musubi (pronounced moo-see-bee, with the accent on the bee) every where in Hawaii, even at the 7-11 stores.
This a wonderful handheld snack or light meal.

Spam® comes in many flavors and it depends upon where you are as to which ones you'll be able to find. Our preference is the 25% less Sodium, but you decide what you'd like to make your Hawaii-Style Spam® Fried Rice with. I understand that the Jalapeno Spam® makes a great Fried Rice.

One very important note to this recipe:
Be sure to use old rice, in other words, once you've steamed your Rice, allow it to cool to room temperature and stash it in the refrigerator for a day or longer to dry out and almost gets hard. Fresh, moist Rice won't work, you'll have a soggy mushy mess.

Hawaii-Style Spam® Fried Rice

4 servings

Ingredients:

1 12 oz. can Spam®, diced
3-4 C. cooked Rice, leftover & dried out *
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 C. Sweet White Onion, minced
1 C. fresh Carrot, diced & blanched
2 C. frozen Peas, defrosted
3-4 stalks Green Onion/Scallions, sliced & divided-tops & bottoms
4 Tbsp. Peanut Oil (or Vegetable Oil is fine too, just it taste better w/Peanut Oil)
2-4 Tbsp. Soy Sauce (preferably Aloha Shoyu, we like lower salt)
1-2 tsp. Sesame Oil
A good pinch of White Pepper
1 tsp. Sesame Seeds

Method:

Heat a large, high sided pan (you really don’t have to have a Wok) over medium-high flame.
Add 1 tablespoon of Oil; pour in the beaten Eggs, creating a flat Omelet. Remove to a cutting board and dice, set aside and wipe out the pan with a Paper Towel.
Fry the Spam® (you don’t need any Oil here) until it’s well crisped, set aside on a plate.
Wipe out your pan with a Paper Towel/Kitchen Paper.
Add the remaining Oil and swirl it around in the pan.
Sauté the Sweet Onion until just translucent and then add the whites of the Green Onion and continue to cook for just a few minutes.
Pour in the Rice and combine well in the Oil, to coat the Rice.
Stirring occasionally, allow the Rice to get a just a bit crispy, this will take a few minutes.
Now add back in the Spam® along with the chopped up Egg, Peas and Carrots.
Pour over as much Soy Sauce as we feel you need, not too much though, and that pinch of White Pepper.
Mix everything up really good; once the Peas and Carrot are heated through, off heat, pour the Sesame Oil over everything and combine well… you’re done.
Serve by topping with the reserved Green Onion tops and a sprinkle of Sesame Seeds.

IMG_5596.JPG

Now that's ONO (that's Hawaiian for delicious) !!!
I'll eat this any time of day. It's great for breakfast.

*Cook's Note: If you prefer Brown or Jasmine Rice or even Basmati Rice, go for it!

Yorky believe it or not, locals really don't eat Pineapple too much.
Morning Glory the diced Carrots are blanched to a crisp-tender texture.
I make this dish often in this larger batch (4 servings is plenty for us two) and then we snack on it until it's gone.

Yorky believe it or not, locals really don't eat Pineapple too much.
Morning Glory the diced Carrots are blanched to a crisp-tender texture.
I make this dish often in this larger batch (4 servings is plenty for us two) and then we snack on it until it's gone.
Yeah, I'll eat leftover fried rice for breakfast if it's there!

Great point about letting the rice dry out. I have seen lots of people make a mess out of fried rice by not doing that.

Back
Top Bottom