Help Identifying a Nut

Motaro

Local time
4:03 PM
Hello, I somehow found myself in possession of what appears to be a nut, but have no idea what it is. At first I thought it might have been the pit of some citrus fruit, but now I am wholly unsure. I thought maybe one of you more experienced wielders of nuts could help me. I took the best/biggest/hi-res pics I could. Also, I'm not sure if it has an "inner core" to it that is the true seed, as some nuts do, or if this is the innermost part of it. Thanks in advance!

nut1.jpg
nut2.jpg
nut3.jpg
nut4.jpg
nut5.jpg

Attachments

• nut1.jpg
    nut1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 237
Welcome! Also, how did you get it? Knowing that might help as well.

Yes Candlenut well done medtran49

The Candlenut is a tree belonging to the Euphorbiaceae family. Tracing its native origins has been difficult since early humans cultivated and spread this tree over many parts of the world during the bygone years. The Candlenut tree is also known by several other names, such as Candleberry, Kukui nut tree, Indian walnut, Varnish tree, Kemiri, Buah keras or Nuez de la India.

Candlenut-Photos.jpg

Candlenut? Thank murphyscreek for posting his Indonesian chicken dish for this guess since it made me go look for recipes. Candlenut

This is probably a dead thread as OP hasn't been back since posting.

Candlenut can be a bit hard to find where I live. Whilst I haven't made the ayam panggan yet, I've found in other dishes I've made that when called for macadamias are a good substitute for candlenuts.

Candlenut can be a bit hard to find where I live. Whilst I haven't made the ayam panggan yet, I've found in other dishes I've made that when called for macadamias are a good substitute for candlenuts.

Yes, that's what I found as well. Both of us remembered hearing the name, but couldn't remember context, so I looked it up. It's grown in the Caribbean as well, so I'm sure we could find it in a Caribbean market, but we already have macadamia nuts so will use them.

Apparently, they will burn like a candle as well, thus, the name.

Yes, that's what I found as well. Both of us remembered hearing the name, but couldn't remember context, so I looked it up. It's grown in the Caribbean as well, so I'm sure we could find it in a Caribbean market, but we already have macadamia nuts so will use them.

And I also read, unlike macadamias, are toxic if you eat them raw.

[/QUOTE]

I love this site, I learn something every day. I'm finding it hard to get macadamia nuts here.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom