Herbs for lamb chops?

I rarely cook lamb and almost never eat it. However, I occasionally get requests for it and use this Sabut Raan recipe from Sameen Rushdie.
For lamb chops, you´d obviously have to modify the procedure, but the spice mix is phenomenal.
I wasn't able to view that without subscribing 😞

Hey Jas! I made a small rack of lamb yesterday, here was my marinade: fresh garlic, fresh thyme, one small shallot, black pepper, a splash of sherry, a splash of soy sauce, a splash of olive oil. Blended marinade and marinated the rack in a gallon-sized ziplock for 8 hours. I salted it just before putting it in the oven. Instead of serving with mint jelly (which I don't like), I served with pepper jelly. The end result wasn't bad at all!
That sounds very nice 👌

Hi JAS_OH1, unfortunately I only have dried tarragon and find it quite difficult to get the fresh herb. I may look into growing fresh tarragon at home as currently we have an abundant large sage bush and a lemon balm on the raised bed in front of the kitchen.

I found it somewhere else, JAS_OH1 ! Sabut Raan
I bought this wonderful lady´s book years and years ago, and still use lots of the recipes.
Thanks so much! I actually have most of those ingredients on hand, except cinnamon stick (I have powder) and cloves, which I don't care for. I wonder if it would be a complete travesty to omit the cloves?

Last edited:
I found it somewhere else, JAS_OH1 ! Sabut Raan
I bought this wonderful lady´s book years and years ago, and still use lots of the recipes.
I did grow some tarragon in the summer of 2020. I typically grow basil, parsley, and oregano, in 2020 I added rosemary and the tarragon. It gets dratted cold here though and not much survives the freezing temperatures. My parsley and oregano usually come back in the spring but nothing else.

Hi JAS_OH1, unfortunately I only have dried tarragon and find it quite difficult to get the fresh herb. I may look into growing fresh tarragon at home as currently we have an abundant large sage bush and a lemon balm on the raised bed in front of the kitchen.

Tarragon is a summer herb really. Or at least, my experience is that it dies in winter. I said on another thread that tarragon is really rather good dried.

Tarragon is a summer herb really. Or at least, my experience is that it dies in winter. I said on another thread that tarragon is really rather good dried.
I like it dried just fine, though it seems more tender fresh and of course brighter in colour. I think it could grow well in a sunny window in winter, but it does shed. Before I had put it in the ground (there was still a chance of frost late spring) I had it in a window and it was doing well, and I put it in the ground as soon as it was safe to do so. I am really thinking of getting some more grow lights and having a winter herb garden, I really miss fresh basil the most.

Thanks so much! I actually have most of those ingredients on hand, except cinnamon stick (I have powder) and cloves, which I don't care for. I wonder if it would be a complete travesty to omit the cloves?
Youre welcome. I don´t think skipping the cloves would be a big deal. Coriander, pepper, cinnamon and cardamom seeds are all pretty imposing.

I will be doing lamb chops on the charcoal grill tomorrow. This is a first for me. This thread is very helpful. I will be getting my marinade tips from here!

Lamb chops on the grill over charcoal is great! Hot and fast. Set up a hot side on your grill, and get the coals really hot. Get a good char on the chops, and move them to the cooler side of the grill. How long it takes to cook them thrugh to medium rare depends on the thickness of the chops. Yu don't want to go beyond medium rare. It is a lot like cooking a steak. If you can cook a good medium rare steak on the grill, you can do the same with lamb chops -- just take thickness into account. If they are on the thin side, treat them like a thin steak.

Call me when they are ready. I'll be there in about ten hours. :laugh:

CD

I will be doing lamb chops on the charcoal grill tomorrow. This is a first for me. This thread is very helpful. I will be getting my marinade tips from here!
Honestly I found I prefer a marinade of olive oil, roasted garlic, oregano, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper for lamb chops.

I use fresh rosemary, garlic, lemon zest plus a little lemon juice S and P and EVOO, then we grill to med rare.

Honestly I found I prefer a marinade of olive oil, roasted garlic, oregano, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper for lamb chops.

That is mostly what I used.

PXL_20230212_124823169.jpg

Back
Top Bottom