High Brow Breakfast.

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
9:06 PM
I have a lovely surprise for my two boys incoming this week. We have leased two cars for them for a couple of years to help while they’re at uni, Bristol is a low emission zone area and they have to be able to drive in and out for work and lectures on different campus’

I’m excited, they know nothing about it. I’m wanting celebratory mood food to fit and I can’t decide on breakfast.

So I throw it out to you, what do you consider the breakfast of Kings (and Queens)?

The breakfast dish that lets you know today is not an ordinary day, today is special and all is right in the world?! 💃🕺

We do like a creamy scrambled egg and smoked salmon with a chorizo crumb and oil. This photo hides the round of toast below the egg.
20221225_090446-jpg.jpg

The breakfast dish that lets you know today is not an ordinary day, today is special and all is right in the world?! 💃🕺
That’s very thoughtful of you! Onto your question:

It’s not so easy to answer, because what you’re asking is not the same as “What’s your favorite breakfast?”

Special occasion…I’d probably have to go with Eggs Benedict or Eggs Mollet Florentine:

38E73DE9-50B8-4ED3-83EB-A8880DC74C04.jpeg

KQED

Neither are favorites of mine, but the presentation says, “Today is not your usual day.”

Funny, the things that first came to my mind would be considered "common" by most of you, but (because we hardly ever make them) I would be thrilled to be surprised with steak & eggs, or a full English. But I second the notion of Eggs Benedict and I think a breakfast quiche could also be considered fancy?

Here´s a thought. Slice a baguette in half, lengthwise. Either toast or, even better, grill the bread. Slather with butter. Make a mixture with cream cheese, a little bit of spring onion (or red onion), fresh dill and parsley. Spread that on the baguette. Scotch Smoked Salmon - do not be duped by other competitors :laugh: :laugh: - cover the baguettes generously. A handful of capers. A poached egg on top and a sprinkle of parsley. Top the poached egg with (depending on your budget) (a) real caviar (b) salmon roe (c) lumpfish roe. Serve with mimosas.
This should give you an idea:
Poached egg, dill, smoked salmon, cream cheese, Mimosas.jpg

Yeah my mind went to :
Some kind of Eggs Bennie
Caviar - maybe a Blini topped with cream a very generous dollop of Caviar
Croque Madam
A hearty Frittata with a side of thick cut streaky Bacon that's been "candied" maybe.
Is everyone over 21 years of age? Bellini or Mimosa to celebrate

Eggs Benedict is a breakfast I make quite often because it’s one of my sons absolute favourites so I had discounted it BUT I haven‘t made it in a while as he’s not been home so perhaps it’s perfect 😍
Watching caseydog ’s youtube vid has made me fancy it right now, especially with the red wine mushroom reduction, nice little twist I’ve not tried 👍

Yeah my mind went to :
Some kind of Eggs Bennie
Caviar - maybe a Blini topped with cream a very generous dollop of Caviar
Croque Madam
A hearty Frittata with a side of thick cut streaky Bacon that's been "candied" maybe.
Is everyone over 21 years of age? Bellini or Mimosa to celebrate
Legal drinking age is 18 here so yeppers 👍

I’m also going to make for lunch starter before the cars are delivered Kha Gai Soup because when they’ve had surprises in the past I’ve always left oblique references you can’t really get but make them laugh a lot once they know 😆

As we’re on Eggs Benedict I thought I should share this item with you. They have literally been a game changer for me when it comes to trying to get multiple poached eggs perfectly cooked onto the table at the same time (e.g. Eggs Benedict for four people).

I have a very wide flat but deep pan and can fit six of these flat in the pan at the same time. To ensure they are all cooked for the same length of time I break the eggs into ramekins so I’m not slowed down by cracking eggs or that real annoyance one breaking.

I’ve tried so many methods and the swirling water in a pan one works but getting eight eggs done that way is so laborious and means dishing up is staggered. With these I tend to do three peoples at once (six eggs) and put my eggs in to cook while I’m serving, that way I get good eggs too!

Unlike all the pocket pouch ideas on the market these poach in water properly and retain that lovely poached egg shape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZBAV0Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It’s one gimmicky looking thing but works so well.

I love eggs Bennie. I rarely get it out because most places use canned hollandaise or a powdered mix. When I make it at home, I use Chef Eric Ripert's blender hollandaise.

A lot of dinners offer a country Bennie - a biscuit, a slice of sausage and either a sausage gravy or gravy made with bacon or sausage grease. Fried or poached egg.

One of the more upscale breakfast places offers a Bennie with an English muffin, a gammon type piece of ham, with an Alfredo type sauce over it. Poached egg.

Back
Top Bottom