High Brow Breakfast.

So long as we can avoid bashing someone else’s culture (I don’t think any of us enjoy’s hearing food our country enjoy’s is in someway wrong or bad) could someone tell me about biscuits and sausage gravy? What I saw on youtube wasn‘t what I thought it was.

Biscuits and sausage gravy is a big-time American South thing. Actually, it's all over the country, now.

Done right, it is awesome. Done wrong, it is horrible. It is basically a Béchamel, but made with rendered sausage fat in the roux, with chunks of pork breakfast sausage in it. You pour that over a buttermilk biscuit, which is somewhat similar to a scone, but not sweet.

Like any Béchamel, if you do it wrong, it is like wallpaper paste. You also have to use rendered fat, not some fancy vegetable oil.

CD

So long as we can avoid bashing someone else’s culture (I don’t think any of us enjoy’s hearing food our country enjoy’s is in someway wrong or bad).

Most of the time, the "bashing" is done in fun. The Murcans and the Brits (and those pseudo-Brits downunder) tend to poke each other with a stick from time-to-time, but it is not generally anything to be taken seriously. :D

CD

Oh, you obviously haven't seen a Waffle House video. :eek::laugh:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEpXeTDwbk8

CD
I’m equal parts horrified and impressed it exists :laugh:

We don’t really have American cooking programmes in the UK but we had Man V Food and I can’t say Bourdain helped UK perceptions too much 😆

Apart from the sheer volume of food it reminds me a lot of our greasy spoons (although they tend to have a much smaller menu), I guess there are times when we all fancy grease.

I’m not sure we share same level of love for super sweet breakfasts though.. unless its hidden in cereal 🤣

Most of the time, the "bashing" is done in fun. The Murcans and the Brits (and those pseudo-Brits downunder) tend to poke each other with a stick from time-to-time, but it is not generally anything to be taken seriously. :D

CD
I can guess it would be just bants on here but the day before I joined here I joined another food forum almost all Americans.
The Brit bashing was almost instant and a lot wasn’t done in jest.
I had a private message within about an hour of joining saying they had some time ago started a thread to debunk Brit food myths and keep it civil but had to give up due to bile and that the mods or senior members often started it.
I requested my account was deleted within 24hrs.

Biscuits and sausage gravy is a big-time American South thing. Actually, it's all over the country, now.

Done right, it is awesome. Done wrong, it is horrible. It is basically a Béchamel, but made with rendered sausage fat in the roux, with chunks of pork breakfast sausage in it. You pour that over a buttermilk biscuit, which is somewhat similar to a scone, but not sweet.

Like any Béchamel, if you do it wrong, it is like wallpaper paste. You also have to use rendered fat, not some fancy vegetable oil.

CD
Is the bechamel flavoured with anything else? I thought is was a savoury scone but the one I saw looked more like a loose hash brown!

I’m equal parts horrified and impressed it exists :laugh:

We don’t really have American cooking programmes in the UK but we had Man V Food and I can’t say Bourdain helped UK perceptions too much 😆

Apart from the sheer volume of food it reminds me a lot of our greasy spoons (although they tend to have a much smaller menu), I guess there are times when we all fancy grease.

I’m not sure we share same level of love for super sweet breakfasts though.. unless its hidden in cereal 🤣

Waffle House does its best business after midnight, when the bars and clubs close. They are open 24/7, and their food is cooked right in front of you, which is fun to watch -- they have a system of communication between waitstaff and the cooks that is pretty impressive. The food is simple, but actually quite good.

And yeah, we all like "greasy spoon" food from time-to-time. Look at Fish and Chips shops. Fried fish, fried potatoes, served in a disposable wrapper or container.

CD

Is the bechamel flavoured with anything else? I thought is was a savoury scone but the one I saw looked more like a loose hash brown!

Lot's of black pepper, and some salt, of course. Other than that, just the sausage. The biscuits are moist, but flakey. Covered in sausage gravy, they could look like hash browns, I suppose.

Buttermilk biscuits...

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 3.15.33 AM.jpg

Biscuits and gravy...

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 3.14.07 AM.jpg

CD

There're plenty of other fancy dishes for a quality breakfast.
Platter with sausage (pastrami, salami, foie gras, roastbeef) and cheese with fig mustard, good variety of bread and butter, some dips like muhamara/tapenade, prawn salad, one good egg dish (tamagoyaki?)

Apparently all commercial eggs are per the government food police. I didn't know that until you asked.

Yes, all retail eggs are pasteurized in the US. You'd have to buy directly from a farm to get unpasteurized eggs.

CD

Back
Top Bottom