High Brow Breakfast.

I love eggs Bennie. I rarely get it out because most places use canned hollandaise or a powdered mix. When I make it at home, I use Chef Eric Ripert's blender hollandaise.

A lot of dinners offer a country Bennie - a biscuit, a slice of sausage and either a sausage gravy or gravy made with bacon or sausage grease. Fried or poached egg.

One of the more upscale breakfast places offers a Bennie with an English muffin, a gammon type piece of ham, with an Alfredo type sauce over it. Poached egg.

I could eat that now. I dont do brekky but I'd make an exception. Its midday here.

Russ

Funny, the things that first came to my mind would be considered "common" by most of you, but (because we hardly ever make them) I would be thrilled to be surprised with steak & eggs, or a full English. But I second the notion of Eggs Benedict and I think a breakfast quiche could also be considered fancy?

Quiche crossed my mind, too. It is considered a bit posh, I guess.

CD

Here´s a thought. Slice a baguette in half, lengthwise. Either toast or, even better, grill the bread. Slather with butter. Make a mixture with cream cheese, a little bit of spring onion (or red onion), fresh dill and parsley. Spread that on the baguette. Scotch Smoked Salmon - do not be duped by other competitors :laugh: :laugh: - cover the baguettes generously. A handful of capers. A poached egg on top and a sprinkle of parsley. Top the poached egg with (depending on your budget) (a) real caviar (b) salmon roe (c) lumpfish roe. Serve with mimosas.
This should give you an idea:
View attachment 98297

If you can't get Alaskan salmon, I suppose Scotch salmon will have to do. :rolleyes: :D

CD

I’m also going to make for lunch starter before the cars are delivered Kha Gai Soup because when they’ve had surprises in the past I’ve always left oblique references you can’t really get but make them laugh a lot once they know 😆

Well, you can't JUST give them new cars. You really MUST make the occasion special by cooking them a high brow breakfast. :smug:

CD

Quiche isn’t special here at all. If someone said I’ve made a quiche, you’d be more likely to get an “oh right” than an “ooh lovely “ 😂
It’s even little bit of a marmite dish with some people liking it and some really not.
It’s not served as a breakfast dish here either. 😆

Well, you can't JUST give them new cars. You really MUST make the occasion special by cooking them a high brow breakfast. :smug:

CD
Not just breakfast 😜

I think a lot of us have fond memories of certain dishes when we were growing up or rituals/traditions that involved the whole family eating particular foods together.

Traditions that give that warm loved feeling. Like treats on a Friday, special breakfasts at the weekend, Sunday roast, a smiley face and message written on your sandwich bag, I dunno, you know the sort of thing.

So when good things happen I alway extend the happiness by making the food reflect the mood.

Plus as an aside I think we send children away from home at quite a young age and no matter how strong they are being removed from their parents and support network, from everything they know with very limited life skills into an environment like uni and unlike school where they don’t understand the workload or what’s expected of then is a bit stressful.

IMO it’s at that time that when they come home the familiar food and behaviours - the good behaviours and traditions you have hopefully laid down in memory for them growing up can offers the comfort and balm that makes for a happy soul.

I think a lot of us have fond memories of certain dishes when we were growing up or rituals/traditions that involved the whole family eating particular foods together.

Not many warm and fuzzy feelings around food from my youth. My mom under-seasoned and overcooked everything. :eek: :laugh:

Plus as an aside I think we send children away from home at quite a young age and no matter how strong they are being removed from their parents and support network, from everything they know with very limited life skills into an environment like uni and unlike school where they don’t understand the workload or what’s expected of then is a bit stressful.

What is a good age to send kids off to college (Uni)? I graduated high school on a Friday, and moved out on Saturday. I was seventeen. Now, it is not unusual for kids to live at their parents home well into their twenties. I went to college 300 miles from hometown. My new friends became my new support system. I went to classes in the morning, and went to work in a camera store in the afternoon and on weekends. That seemed like a pretty normal workload, to me. Leaving home for college certainly wasn't traumatic back then (1979).

CD

Last edited:
Not many warm and fuzzy feelings around food from my youth. My mom under-seasoned and overcooked everything. :eek: :laugh:

What is a good age to send kids off to college (Uni)? I graduated high school on a Friday, and moved out on Saturday. I was seventeen. Now, it is not unusual for kids to live at their parents home well into their twenties. I went to college 300 miles from hometown. My new friends became my new support system. I went to classes in the morning, and went to work in a camera store in the afternoon and on weekends. That seemed like a pretty normal workload, to me.

CD
Well I do think it depends on what you’ve come from and your personality. If it’s not been all whoopeedoo then it’s an escape and freeedom.
I certainly felt like that.

But then uni was a different place back then. Over here now it’s all so serious. Life seems ridden with impending doom, the environment, rising costs of living, impossible housing/rental prices, war, political polarisation and extremism, I could go on, you get the idea but they’re not impervious to the messages and responsibilities they’re growing up with.

They’re so aware of the enormous debt and extra tax burden they’re taking on, they feel a weight of responsibility I never had.

For me it was an exciting adventure and that’s how I presented it to my kids. I’m lucky my kids are resilient as they come.

But go back a bit and it was all a lot more fun, well it was for my generation, a lot more carefree, I had a wail of a time.

The causes the suicide and self harm rates among students are no joke.
Life just isn’t the same now.

And home comforts are just that, a bit of love and light relief.

What age should they go? When they’re ready.

They’re so aware of the enormous debt and extra tax burden they’re taking on, they feel a weight of responsibility I never had.

The price of a college education today is the biggest change. I feel bad for young people graduating with tens of thousands of dollars in debt. I don't think the work is any harder -- my degree was very hard to get. I had to survive a portfolio review after my sophomore year to determine if I would be one of the 300 people out of over a thousand people allowed to continue in my chosen program. But I graduated with no student debt.

Back on topic. I still favor eggs Benedict of some kind. I'm not a fish for breakfast fan, so I probably wouldn't do smoked salmon for myself.

CD

Eggs Benedict with sous vide lobster/crayfish meat on good quality white bread, with mild guacamole and lemon Hollandaise.l? What about the drinks?
I don't know how good you're coffee is or maybe they want to drink some fancy mocktails?
What about the sweets?
Selfmade fresh doughnuts can be terrific

Y'know my first thought was (as others have said) eggs benedict or royale. But maybe it depends on what those lucky boys like? How about an Middle Eastern style feast with shakshouka and perhaps and a spread of dips, such as ful madammas with Arab style bread and maybe pastries too. I suppose that isn't really 'high brow' though. But then what is?

The acclaimed Dishoom serves a breakfast bacon naan - so maybe an Indian style spread would hit the spot?

Y'know my first thought was (as others have said) eggs benedict or royale. But maybe it depends on what those lucky boys like? How about an Middle Eastern style feast with shakshouka and perhaps and a spread of dips, such as ful madammas with Arab style bread and maybe pastries too. I suppose that isn't really 'high brow' though. But then what is?

The acclaimed Dishoom serves a breakfast bacon naan - so maybe an Indian style spread would hit the spot?

I love shakshouka, but I don't consider it "high brow," as in a luxury. To me, it is a very down to Earth dish.

CD

I love shakshouka, but I don't consider it "high brow," as in a luxury. To me, it is a very down to Earth dish.
Yep - I agree. However, maybe Morning Glory has hit on something. Instead of doing something "eyebrow", you could do something a bit eclectic. Like a Lebanese/Eqyptian/Israeli breakfast, or a Colombian/Venezuelan breakfast. Or an Indian/Vietnamese/Korean breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom