Holiday Ornaments/Decorations

A Xmas street ornament
“Stars walk”

Last edited:
All of our Christmas tree ornaments are glass. It had always been that way with us. We bought our first Christmas tree together in our final year at university (1993). So all of our decorations date to then except for a couple of that are dated to our stay in Australia (so 2016, 2017 & 2018).

I'll try to find a few photos. We've been very lucky over the years and only broken a few important ones. We also have a tree holder with reservoir for water that we bought around the year 2000. It is showing its age now because we're having problem screwing the screws into place to hold the trunk but that's because it's been in use so much but we're able to get around that issue if we're careful.

I'll try to find a few photos, if not I'll post something closer to Christmas. We usually put the tree up the Saturday or Sunday before Christmas Day.

Just bought our tree. It will get dusted (insecticide) down before being left in a bucket of water outside for the next couple of weeks. We've found this essential to ensure poisonous spiders and the other numerous insects don't get brought into the house when the tree comes in to be decorated!

The Christmas tree farm is one of only 2 in the area selling live trees (as opposed to fake trees). But imagine a long thin rectangle of neighbouring roads... they are as close to us on long road as we can possibly be, but on the outside of the hill. There are no connecting roads and we are as far from them by the only roads as we could possibly be... buying a tree takes 2½ hrs and most of that is driving, not choosing the tree...

A well deserved reward. It is over 30°C out there today and only going to get warmer.

I was trying to think of something more specific, but that may be as specific as it gets. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I had to go back and look at the box for it to remember where we bought it. We have Russian and Slavic things (which can look similar to my untrained eye) from trips in 2010 (Slovakia, Hungary), 2012 (Alaska - lots of Russian influence there), and 2015 (Czech Repub) and I can't always remember where they came from.

Funny ornaments story from yesterday: we have a couple of nieces who are bonkers over our ornaments and have made no bones about saying they expect to get them when we're no more (oh, isn't it nice to be loved?...).

As such, at the start of each Christmas season, they both text to ask how "their" ornaments are doing and if we're taking good care of them, and to remind me that "I want those ornaments when you're dead!" They always include a little small talk first to make it seem natural, and this was the text conversation yesterday:

"Hey, did you get your tree up yet?"

"Of course! Up and decorated!"

"Ohhhh, send me pic!"

<sends pic>

"We just looooove your ornaments, you have so many! Which ones are new for this year?"

"Just the annual Swarovski one. We've been cutting back because we're starting to run out of tree!"

"We don't have very many, but then again, we're not old."

Score a point in favor of the other niece. :laugh:

I was trying to think of something more specific, but that may be as specific as it gets. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Its a matryoshka doll - typically they're made from wood and come apart in the middle to reveal a smaller one inside...and so on until you have a tiny little one at the end.

We have a variety of decorations - some are metal covered in glitter (we bought those ones the first Christmas we were married), some are bog-standard mass-produced things that we just liked. The past couple of years we've started buying two or three handmade decorations each year - usually from Käthe Wohlfahrt. We've just got back from a few days in Cologne so I'll try to get some pictures later when we're unpacked.

Did you buy it on Charles Bridge?
No, at the Christmas market in the square, while munching on pork crackling. How gruesomely festive! :)

Its a matryoshka doll - typically they're made from wood and come apart in the middle to reveal a smaller one inside...and so on until you have a tiny little one at the end.

We would call those nesting dolls. We also have some of those (though not in ornament form).

That's last year's annual Swarovski ornament. We've got every one back to 1995, and also one from 1992, that we bought on the ferry crossing from Harwich to Gothenburg, when we bought a car from Volvo and went to pick it up at the factory.

I like the ornaments, but I don't like annual collections, because they never end. We've got over 20 of these now, and they're taking over the tree, but once you start, it's hard to justify stopping.

Back
Top Bottom