Holiday Ornaments/Decorations

A couple of ornaments on my Xmas tree

Some glass ornaments. Some years back (as in the 90s) there was a early-mid December glass blower display in Brewster, New York, for several years running, where artisans displayed their wares, mostly "seconds" for sale. My favorite was an artist named John Gilvey. I bought at least three of his hand blown Christmas ornaments (I might have bought a couple more to provide as gifts, but I don't recall, perhaps because I know I bought non-X-mas-related glassworks from him, as well). Not ever really sure why he considered the works he'd sell that weekend as "seconds".

Here are the ones I've kept for me.

xmas ornaments.jpg

I don't put them on a tree - I let them lay around on the sideboard and other places during the season. I'd hate for one of them to crash down, or a cat to take a fancy to one. When the season is over, they go into the breakfront. Where they still can be seen, but not as readily.

This is one of a set of five metal snowflakes, reproductions made from the designs of a Victorian engraver or some such.

We bought these in 1992, the first British Christmas ornaments we bought. We got them at a now-closed shop in Oxford called Past Times. They specialized in gifts from different historical periods, and had Elizabethan items, medieval items, etc. I used to love that shop and bought a lot of stuff there, but they went out of business at some point.

TastyReuben

I love your ornaments and your spirit.

Mountain Cat

LOL My problem.

My eldest girl - Sallie Sue was 8 in Sept. G calls her Big Fat Monkey. Baby girl - Daisy Faye - will be 8 in March. I call her fuzzy britches. She is a beautiful calico. When she walks away from you it looks like she has on a pair of pants. Sallie is not very rambunctious. Even at her age Daisy is still an active cat and will make mad dashes around the house, bouncing off of furniture and walls. For 2 years in a row she thought the Christmas tree was her personal playground.

I quit putting up a tree and resorted to draping the mantle, windows. doors and tall furniture with garland decorated with my ornaments. G has 2 deer mounts in the den. Red felt ribbon around the neck with a bell attached, red foil over the nose and small ornaments hanging from the antlers. I would wait to decorate the mounts until the Grands arrived.

Step Son and his family were never with us for Christmas. They would visit a day or two before Christmas Eve. Spend the night then stay with his Mother Christmas Eve and DIL's family Christmas Day. Three years ago we had a water leak two weeks before Christmas. Had to change the floors in three bedrooms and hall. Everything had to be moved out of those rooms. When SS and his family came to visit I had not had time to put everything away so the guest room was not available. We used G's Priority Club points and got a hotel room for them. SS got mad and has refused to come back for Christmas.

I did the decorated garland thing the following year but found the effort depressing with no one to enjoy it or share it with.
I have not decorated since then.

I have lots of ornaments in the attic. Some simple and inexpensive. Many are hand made. Many were gifts and very special. Most have a story.

Maybe next year I can motivate myself to pull decorations out of the attic even if it just for the two of us.

Sorry to sound like Scrooge. I love Christmas. We usually go to two or three light display venues. We spend Christmas Eve at Mother's house and exchange gifts. Christmas Dinner is at Baby Sister's house. Lots and lots of wonderful food, Babies running around, family and friends, a wonderful time. Sister's youngest Daughter started a new tradition. Christmas Night Games. She and her husband invite some of their friends to join the family in game playing. Last year we played Exploding Kittens and another game Cards Against Humanity that was rated for adults. Laughed til I cried.

Back
Top Bottom