Homemade pasta

I reckon you have to be in the mood to make pasta. I don't do it very often...

That’s good you garlichead, the only comment that made semolina appeal was the suggestion that it improved the texture (bite) and added a little colour … but I might give AP a go …
Yeah, that is why most do it. I use only yolk and get a very good product and have been making this way for a decade. It never sticks together after cutting and I weight and portion out then freeze for service in the restaurant. Only point I think might help is when rolling out to the thickness you like, just leave to dry out a bit before cutting. We go through about 250 portions a week. I only ever put 1 fresh pasta on the menu and this cycle it's rabbit. I also do a dry capellini in tomato sauce as an app.

Made pasta today.
20210923_161315.jpg
20210923_163841.jpg
20210923_163833.jpg

Just another day at the office. :)

Ah sorry, I didn't realise you are a chef!
You made fresh pasta often?
I don't, alas, and I have a couple of pasta machines that I should decide to use again sooner or later. Sometimes it's just laziness, well, often in fact. But I really like making other types of pasta, which are easier to make and less stressful, like gnocchi or even Sardinian ravioli, called Culurgiones. These are medium to large gnocchi filled with sheep's ricotta, mint and potatoes. On my 'to do again soon' list. Quite a long list by now..

Ah sorry, I didn't realise you are a chef!
You made fresh pasta often?
I don't, alas, and I have a couple of pasta machines that I should decide to use again sooner or later. Sometimes it's just laziness, well, often in fact. But I really like making other types of pasta, which are easier to make and less stressful, like gnocchi or even Sardinian ravioli, called Culurgiones. These are medium to large gnocchi filled with sheep's ricotta, mint and potatoes. On my 'to do again soon' list. Quite a long list by now..
Yes, make fresh pasta every week and you should get better acquainted with your machine :giggle: . We also have gnocchi on the menu right now. At home I generally use the pasta die set for my KA but at work, it's always manual because I have more control in all aspect of making the pasta, which is important. Well I use a commercial hobart mixer and then finish with kneading by hand, then the hand crank.

Yes, make fresh pasta every week and you should get better acquainted with your machine :giggle: . We also have gnocchi on the menu right now. At home I generally use the pasta die set for my KA but at work, it's always manual because I have more control in all aspect of making the pasta, which is important. Well I use a commercial hobart mixer and then finish with kneading by hand, then the hand crank.

I have an electric one and a manual one (which I prefer) both made by Imperia. I used to make homemade pasta a few years ago, then I stopped. Or at least, I only dedicated my time to the simplest ones, such as gnocchi - chicche, Orecchiette and Culurgiones (which I haven't made for a while now though). I had good teachers, my father and then my aunts, both from Apulian and Sardinian sides.

What kind of gnocchi do you make now? I'm very curious.

I have an electric one and a manual one (which I prefer) both made by Imperia. I used to make homemade pasta a few years ago, then I stopped. Or at least, I only dedicated my time to the simplest ones, such as gnocchi - chicche, Orecchiette and Culurgiones (which I haven't made for a while now though). I had good teachers, my father and then my aunts, both from Apulian and Sardinian sides.

What kind of gnocchi do you make now? I'm very curious.
Pumpkin gnocchi. It's in season, it's everywhere and it's cost effective. And tasty.

I just looked, and the pasta machine my parents gave me (and I've not yet used) is one of these. Anyone know if it is a good one?

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 5.09.56 PM.jpg

CD

It was good, maybe a little ‘soggy’ possibly I overcooked it, to be honest I’m not sure the effort was worth it but as I’m a ‘hobby’ cook it’s never a waste of time (retired) !
I agree, it might have been in the water a little too long. Another possibility is, that it wasn't kneaded long enough. If the pasta was not kneaded enough it becomes weak and breaks easily without stretching first and becomes rather soggy when cooked. I've seen this countless times.

I just looked, and the pasta machine my parents gave me (and I've not yet used) is one of these. Anyone know if it is a good one?

View attachment 71827

CD
That's the make I have at home only it says Atlas on the front, and it's really old. It's one of the best from my point of view and they're made in Italy and mine has lasted 30 years and so far so good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom